Hot Deal – New 2020 Toyota Prius Prime LE for $16,529 + TTL

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by xcel, Feb 12, 2020.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I may have just purchased a brand new 55/53/54 mpg city/highway/combined rated 2020 Toyota Prius Prime LE in Blue Magnetism.

The 2020 Toyota Prius Prime now includes new 5-seat capacity, all black interior, sun visor extensions, Apple CarPlay and Alexa, two 2.1A USB ports in the back of the center console, optional all weather mats for the front, rear and cargo area ($259), and the new 10 year/150k mile Li-Ion traction battery warranty.

2018 Toyota Prius Prime in Blue Magnetism

[​IMG]
    Not with Texas plates or the fuel robbing windmill alloys that were placed on this Press car from way back. ;)

Pricing was ridiculously low as there is a $3,500 rebate from Toyota in MA right now. $1,500 in CA and most non-CARB states, $2k in some of the East coast states and a max of $3,500 in MA. In addition, there is the Fed tax credit of $4,502, the CA state tax rebate of $1,000, and a $750 Toyota Uber driver rebate. This is in addition to discounts from $1,800 to $2,900 off retail from Boston area dealerships I have contacted so far.

All told, the new 2020 Toyota Prime LE price is $16,529 + CA state Tax on $25,651, Title and License. I signed the quote and they will be sending over the Purchase Agreement for signature tomorrow morning. Nothing is done until that paperwork is completed of course. There is a small mistake on the MSRP and if it gets nicked, I will do battle with another 10 dealerships in Massachusetts like I have been doing for the past 2 days.

While the price was beyond great, the 4th Gen Prius lineup including the Prime still has the taller driver ergonomics problem, the LE and XLE still lack BSM and RCTA that comes std. on the entire non-Prime 2020 Toyota Prius lineup, and includes the absolutely worst infotainment system in the industry, Entune 3.0, with no real way to fix any of them.

I have some minor workarounds for the infotainment planned incl. an iPhone 7 or 8 without a SIM connected via Wi-Fi to my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 to get Apple CarPlay up and running. I hope I can use Siri to manipulate destinations in Google Maps, swap artists and genre’s in Pandora, and have incoming text messages read back aloud, outgoing replys created via voice, and sent without anything but asking Siri to do so. That is the only fix I can think of until hopefully Android Auto is added to the 2020 Prius lineup. If it will ever be added to the lineup??? The current Entune 3.0 system is truly awful. ☹

[​IMG]

So here are some details I pulled up to minimize the purchase price and maximize resale. While I would prefer Hypersonic Red or the Blizzard Pearl White, those are $425 color upcharges and you receive little to none of that premium back on trade. At least when compared to the Blue Magnetism anyway?

Looking at the TIV resale spreadsheet details, maybe you can see why I chose the Blue Magnetism (medium blue w/ a hint of turquoise from my perspective) vs the Blizzard Pearl White or Hypersonic Red. I also looked at the TIV of the next trim up, the XLE for another $1,950 at purchase. I will not be driving with the XLEs 11.6” central portrait display, SofTex seating F&R, powered front seats, and 5-door vs 3-door smart key. That trim premium was simply to high for that small difference in equipment and the loss of $1,000 after driving off the lot when considering 1 to 2-year out trade in value (TIV) as shown below.

KBB 2019 Toyota Prius Prime Plus (now LE)/Premium (now XLE) TIV (CA car, 30k miles, Good Condition)

Red - $19,884/$21,748
    Blue - $19,884/$21,748
    White - $19,733/$21,597
    Grey - $19,733/$21,597
    Silver - $19,615/$21,479

KBB 2018 Toyota Prius Prime Plus (now LE)/Premium (now XLE) TIV (CA car, 40k miles, Good Condition)

Red - $18,008/$19,009
    Blue - $18,008/$19,009
    White - $17,888/$19,009
    Grey - $17,888/$18,889
    Silver - $17,784/$18,785

What dumb@$$ goofball auto journalist chooses his next vehicles color and trim content to minimize total cost of ownership? Hmmm, I wonder who that could be? ;)

2020 Toyota Prius Prime LE Interior

[​IMG]

If there are no purchase glitches including Purchase agreement and electronically transferring funds, I will be flying out to Boston at the beginning of next month to complete the pickup and driving it back to CA with a stop back in IL to see family on the way home. My parents 2017 Toyota Prime has all-weather mats although I may purchase carpeted mats for the F&R seats for CA use since rarely do I experience them being messed up with rain, snow, salt, or anything else like I have for decades in Chicago.

I hope I did not make any mistakes? Especially with the color. ;)

If it goes through as listed, I will add the purchase agreement, link the dealership, move this post to the Hot Deal forum, and onto the Home Page from there. For now, it is still preliminary.

Wayne

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

The car AND the color are great ! Hope there are no glitches in the transaction.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. xcel

Hi Edwin:

I hope so too. The dealership called and asked for a $500 down payment by CC this morning. They will be FedEx'ing me the final Purchase agreement that I need to sign and immediately send back. I also had to send a number of Uber app screenshots proving I am still active to fulfill the Toyota/Uber $750 Rebate requirement.

MA and CA are real bastards when it comes to taxes however. To pay just CA taxes, the MA dealership has to have me take possession of the car outside of MA. Meaning a 30-min. drive with a porter to RI, take the keys, and bring him back. A screwy workaround but that is MA dealership state tax rules. MA are just a tough as CA when it comes to this kind of thing. If the keys were handed over at the dealership, MA state tax is due even though I am required to pay the full amount of state tax on the purchase in CA as well???

In addition, MA not having a temp plate program to drive the vehicle, owners must apparently have the full registration and plates for pickup. This is also a hurdle. I have to head over to the CA DMV as soon as I have a copy of the Purchase Agreement, pay the CA taxes and registration fees up front, and receive a Temp Permit to drive the car back. They, the CA DMV, would not issue temp plates either as those have to come through a CA dealership???

The RI 2017 Toyota Prius Prime purchase a few years back was a lot simpler than this. Down payment via CC, pay the balance electronically, sign the FedEx'ed Purchase agreement, send it back, I show up and pick up the keys with less than 10-minutes spent at the dealership.

[​IMG]

All the while I am beginning to receive other quotes back from dealerships that were either too high to begin with and/or did not respond initially so there are other offers on other colors including a $27k + an unspecified doc not incl. any of the rebates on a Red one, just not as good as this one at $25,786 + $630 in junk fees.

I can all but guarantee there will be higher rebates after March 2 than the Toyota $3,500 I am currently receiving. The highest rebate I saw on the Prime in the past was $5k back in March of 2019.

[​IMG]
    $5k off remaining 2018s back in March of 2019 in NY IIRC?​

Wayne

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

I had wondered how the state tax and car registration would work out for you. Thanks for explaining the details. I had an easy time purchasing a car in New Hampshire and having it delivered to Massachusetts, but that was doing the messy business end all in Mass thus easier than if I were taking a Mass car elsewhere for registration.

xcel likes this.
  5. xcel

Hi Bill:

The Sale Manager was telling me the same thing! It is easier to purchase a vehicle out of state and drive it in than buying in state or buying in state and driving it out.

While on this quest, I captured the KBB screen for a 2018 with 156k miles on it to see what resale was going to look like for a power driver.

[​IMG]

KBB 2018 Toyota Prius Prime Plus (now LE)/Premium (now XLE) TIV (CA car, 156k miles, Good Condition)

Color: Blue - $9,887/$10,448

< $10k in depreciation after 156k miles over a 2-year period is extraordinarily low. The fuel cost to cover 156k miles at maybe 67 mpg (no electricity) = 2,328 gallons and at $3.25/gallon = $7,567. An excellent low fuel cost for the life of the vehicle.

I do not receive a 2020 Toyota Prius Prime press car until next week and am curious about the Apple infotainment possibilities and workarounds - my wife owns an Apple iPhone 10, plus if it allows both heating and cooling with the car plugged into my homes Level2 without engine start? That could come in handy for someone on the road in the winter months.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  6. BillLin

You can do the preheat/precool with or without the plug. The heat pump heater is great!

I often do the preheat without the plug to use up some of the excess in the battery when I inadvertently fully charge the battery. Need some buffer for the drive off the hill... Even without the plug, 1 heating cycle uses very little off the top of the battery.

xcel likes this.
  7. BillLin

I wish I knew why the Crosstrek hybrid (with the Prime's electronics/battery) does so poorly on the EPA rating. I'd take that over the RAV4 Prime if the highway rating was better on the Subaru. Funny thing is I cannot find a separate highway mpg rating, just a combined number.

Edit: rereading your article on the Crosstrek hybrid now.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    xcel likes this.
  8. xcel

Hi Bill:

Jesse R. sleeps in his Gen 4 all the time while doing rideshare or vacationing outside of his area and wondered about the Heating. He has had the first gen - 3rd gen Prius PHEV and said cooling worked excellent when plugged in but no heat. He was wondering if the Prime provided heat off the plug and your experience knocks that question off the tick list! :)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  9. xcel

Hi All:

It now appears as if I am the proud new owner of a 2020 Toyota Prius Prime LE in Blue Magnetism and will be joining the ranks of our esteemed Bill Lin, my parents, and thousands of other Prime owners.

2020 Toyota Prius Prime

[​IMG]
    A shot of a 2017 in Blue Magnetism at the Texas Truck Rodeo in Austin, TX a few years back.​

Do I have to learn to perform a special wave or secret handshake when I come across other Prius Prime owners? ;)

The purchase price was slightly better than I had originally posted but only by $135 as a junk fee was removed. The MSRP glitch as discussed above was put back into place but when I questioned the first Bill of Sale sent this morning with incorrect pricing - back to MSRP minus $1,500, they immediately corrected it and sent me the final Bill of Sale with the as agreed upon price including all the discounts.

2020 Toyota Prius Prime LE Interior

[​IMG]
    Finally, an all-black interior. Now if only Toyota would fix the lousy infotainment system and seating ergonomics. :(

All told, the 2020 Toyota Prius Prime LE in Blue Magnetism retailed at $29,089 incl. $955 D&H with the All-weather mats pkg. ($269) and door edge guards ($125). I do not yet have a Monroney however. The final price of $22,031 reveals a $3,303 dealer discount, $3,500 Toyota Rebate, and $750 Toyota-Uber affiliate rebate. The $495 Junk doc fee is ridiculously steep but still worth purchasing at this price.

Now that I have a bill of sale, I can head over to my local DMV and pick up the Temp New Car Permit plus pay the sales tax, license, and registration fees early next week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The $4,502 Fed TC will not be received until next year’s tax season and the $1,000 CA Clean Vehicle Rebate Program should take less than 6-weeks from final registration. All in, $16,529 + TTL is about as good as it gets for a world class efficiency leader despite its glaring ergonomic and infotainment design flaws.

2020 Toyota Prius Prime

[​IMG]
    Besides its outright world class efficiency, the DualWave rear glass mounted in a carbon fiber hatch frame are the Prius Prime's best attributes imho.​

For those buying in the future, I suspect we will see the $3,500 Toyota rebate begin to populate other states in the Northeast by the 6th of March and a $4,000 + Toyota rebate could be in the cards for new owners beginning on April 6th of this year. I will be on the lookout and will post in the hot deal forum if that does indeed occur. Can you imagine a new 2020 Toyota Prius Prime for less than $15,500 after all the discounts? MA state residents are at that already with the $2k State deal they are provided with on top of all of the above. OMG!!!

Wayne

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Congrats, Wayne ! I'll be watching to see what sort of $$$ 'Yota puts on the hood in the Midwest.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  11. BillLin

Aw, Edwin. Just take a little trip east like Wayne did. :) It is nice seeing just how Wayne does it.

EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  12. xcel

Hi Edwin:

IL and WI dealers will not stock Prius Primes for some reason? There are no Toyota rebates and nothing in stock from the few dealers I checked in both states minutes ago. If you were to pick one up from the East coast in the future however, Amtrak will take you from Chicago's Union Station right into Boston and the dealerships will usually pick you up if they are not that far away. :)

I purchased the lowest cost flight I could fine from LAX to Boston for March 3rd, just $121 and purchased it with points from auto junket trips, so hopefully by March 4th I will be driving it back with a stop at my parents in IL for a few days. I still have not received a Monroney or the bank routing number to transfer funds to complete its purchase yet however? Hopefully later today or tomorrow?

Once the wire transfer is complete, I will post the various Boston area dealership quotes I received so others can attempt to pick up their own as well.

There may be another plan in the works to pick it up and bring it back that is really cool but that is for another day or possibly never. ;)

Wayne

13. xcel

Hi All:

I received the Purchase agreement, Invoice, Odometer disclosure, Uber Rebate form, Toyota Rebate form, Delivery receipt and included equipment, Vehicle Detail including the All-weather floor and cargo mat(s), and door edge guards this afternoon. All the paperwork is signed and a bank draft for the full amount was sent back with the purchase paperwork. Tomorrow morning, I head to the CA DMV to complete the tax, title, license and registration paperwork. As much as I can as CA needs to see the car directly before providing registration. This process also means bring your checkbook because it is going to hurt.

It looks like a done deal other than picking it up in Boston on the morning of March 4th. I hope. ;)

2020 Toyota Prius Prime LE Purchase Agreement

[​IMG]

The first thing I purchased are some OEM Prius Prime carpeted mats. $65 + $5.09 Tax and free shipping on E-Bay - $169 + tax at Toyota dealerships – the mats have 8-miles of driving on them and the owner wanted All-weather.

[​IMG]

I need to purchase a double 12V outlet dongle and an iOttie Adhesive Dashboard Pad for my iOttie Easy One Touch 4 cellphone mount. The Elantra received the original and if I would have tried to pull it off, I would have pulled the dash along with it. :D

It is too bad there are no head unit replacements like there are for the std. 4th gen Prius. I would love to have one of the new wireless or older wired Android Auto head units tied into the Prime replacing the poorly received and equipped OEM head unit. :(

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  14. xcel

Hi All:

I purchased a right angle 3 ft. Micro-USB cable ($6.45) for my Fire HD 10 tablet to mount on the passenger seat headrest and a new iOttie adhesive pad ($4.79) for the dash to mount my iOttie Easy One Touch 4 cell phone mount. These two items on top of the Prime F&R carpeted mats for $70.09.

I can pick up a mint T-Mobile network 64 GB Apple iPhone XR in black for $435 shipped from a seller in LA on Swappa. Unfortunately, it appears to be a locked iPhone on Mint Mobile - a T-Mobile MNVO, and will not work on the T-Mobile network natively. I requested the seller to unlock it and then maybe?

Swappa - Aug 2019 - Jan 2020 -- Used iPhone XR Pricing Trend

[​IMG]

There are others and every week that passes, they usually become cheaper. Except with the Corona Virus production halts in China that is. I do not want to move to an iPhone in the Prius Prime but will probably have too in order to control all infotainment functions through Siri on the phone directly.

For less cost, a far superior high-end Android Auto and Apple CarPlay audio head unit from Alpine, JVC, Kenwood, or Pioneer w/ a 7" hi-res screen plus a speaker upgrade all-around would normally be the answer. Just not for the 2017 - 2020 Prius Prime. :( :( :(

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  15. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Hi Wayne, the 22k price you paid is without the CA rebates?

xcel and BillLin like this.
  16. BillLin

That's what the purchase contract shows.

xcel likes this.
  17. xcel

Hi George:

As Bill mentioned above, the CA State tax rebate comes from CA and is not on the Purchase Agreement. The $4,502 Fed Tax Credit will not be available until I file my 2020 Taxes in early 2021.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  18. xcel

Hi All:

The $70 mats came in and they are in fact, brand new! I could not see any wear on them whatsoever so the description of 8-miles before being pulled is solid.

2020 Toyota Prius Prime OEM Carpeted Floor Mats

[​IMG]

I can tell Toyota was pulling a gram strategy on them as they are light and flimsy as all get out.

The $4.79 iOttie permanent mount Dash Pad arrived today as well.

Next up, with all the vehicle purchase paperwork in hand including Purchase Agreement, Odometer Declaration (27-miles on it now), Payoff, What is owed in terms of extra equipment, and a signed over title from the dealership, I was off to the DMV to do battle with them for about an hour this afternoon after the 30-minutes last week. I wish it was easier but since MA does not issue Temp Plates, I am not sure how they sell to anyone out of state?

In any case, I now have a $22.00, California DMV - One Trip Permit in hand to fill out when I pick up the vehicle up in MA in order to drive back to CA and register it here.

[​IMG]
    One Trip Permit front and center.

[​IMG]
    One Trip Permit Instructions. I highlighted the important sentences.​

Insurance Coverage begins on March 4th.

After last nights and this morning's 2020 Prius Prime Limited steady states and 2-hours of sleep before heading to LA to swap into the CR-V, I think I will take a nap now. ;)

Wayne

19. BillLin

20. xcel

Hi All:

Since this appears to be a done deal - nothing is complete until I have two sets of keys and have drove off the dealership lot with a new car, here are some of the other Boston area dealerships that I contacted with quote requests. The list could prove to be helpful for your own search and purchase quest.

2020 Toyota Prius Prime LE quotes from Boston Area Toyota Dealerships
    • Prime - Blue for $28,050 - $2,264 dealer disc. = $25,786 ($495 Doc Fee)
    • Braintree - NOT WHITE but Pink/Silver for $28,789 - $2,690 = $26,099 (Doc Fee???) Not purchasing pink/silver
    • Expressway - Blue for $29,004 - $2,810 = $26,194 ($450 doc fee)
    • Prime - Silver or Grey for $28,814 - $2,264 dealer disc. = $26,550 ($495 + $135 Doc Fee)
    • Woburn - White for $29,514 - $2,739 dealer disc. = $26,775 ($499 Doc fee)
    • Bernardi - Grey for $28,879 - $1,972 dealer disc. = $26,907 ($495 Doc fee)
    • Watertown - Red for $29,514 - $2,514 = $27,000 ($450 Doc Fee???)
    • Wellesley - Grey for $29,029 - $781 = $28,248 -- ($375 Doc fee)
    Westboro - No Reply after comparison to Expressway
    Herb Chambers - No Reply after comparison to Expressway

I hope this helps?

Wayne