Recorded Rainiest Seattle January

Discussion in 'Weather' started by litesong, Jan 31, 2020.

1. litesong

litesong litesong

Seattle tied for its rainiest January with ~ 8.5 inches. & its still rainy today. Since October 1st, last year, 22 inches have dropped on Seattle, including its 5th greatest day of rain, 3.25 inches on Dec. 20, 2019. Like I've said in another thread, the rain hasn't kept me from putting ~ 30,000 miles on our cars in the last year. However, I've chosen NOT to drive in the rain, two days within the last week. Yeah, washed the car yesterday, & won't slop around on wet roads today, even if it did stop raining.
    Man its fun to be retired & not have to work in all the rain. Its bad enough, just watching the bald eagle hunched in the rain next to its nest, across the street.

P.S. Washed the wife's car, yesterday too. But, she'll be using the car in an hour...... in the rain. Oh, well. Hey, I'll go look at it in the garage, right now.... while it still looks good.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    BillLin likes this.
  2. litesong

litesong litesong

It's so good to get out of wet January into dry February.... NOT! The rain continues continually. The rivers are above flood stage & waters cross some of the back roads. But, the temperatures are dropping, so worse flooding may not occur. Thank goodness for..... cold weather!

BillLin likes this.
  3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

I'd expect the record there to be higher, considering Seattle's reputation for raininess. This morning NWS weather radio reported 7.02 inches fell in January in Greenville, S.C. ---nearly double "normal." I believe it rained here every Friday this year so far.

litesong and BillLin like this.
  4. litesong

litesong litesong

A lot of people say that. Seattle gets a lot of clouds that mist. You'll be soaking wet all day long, but by day's end, the weather bureau registers no rain or almost none. Two of our days in the last week have been such. I remember a rain cloud at work once, that rained on us all afternoon long. It was a little cloud. I told everyone, once the rain falls out of the cloud, it'll clear up & be a nice afternoon. But the standing wave rain system kept feeding moisture into that cloud, as quickly as it rained on us & that cloud never went away. Did I say that cloud was little? Yes, it was a little cloud. While we were soaked all afternoon long, a river buoy, only a quarter mile from us, was in sunshine all afternoon long. ha ha ha
    Now, move even 5 to 10 miles toward the mountains away from Seattle & rainfall quantities rise quickly. Move 30 miles to the east, there is 90 inches of yearly rain. Move 50 miles to the west, there is as much as 200 inches of rain per year.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    BillLin likes this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

So, like the Eskimos have 50 (?) words for snow, you have many types and volumes of water that fall from the Seattle skies. To everyone else, it rains in Seattle. :D

6. litesong

litesong litesong

It rains, not as much in Seattle & Everett, but in the mountains, as stated in my previous post. For a short while, I followed a radar website that was set up to show real-time rain fall data AND ACCUMULATING rain fall. The Accumulating rain fall map data would register on small pixel areas about 1 or 2 square miles within the regional area. Any stationary small pixel data that reached 15 inches of rain within the time period would automatically re-set rain fall level to zero. Most of the time the accumulating data would be good for a week or more. At times, it would re-set over a period of days.
    Anyhow, the incoming rain stream from Hawaii (called the Hawaiian Pineapple Express), like a flapping flag, generally meanders back & forth, sweeping across the U.S. west coast & western Canada. But, once the Pineapple Express STOOD STILL, pouring rain into our Seattle-Tacoma-Everett-mountains region from the southwest for 4 entire days. Watching the accumulating data, one stationary hot spot kept triggering the re-set from 15 inches to zero within six(?) to 12(?) hours. Couldn't quite tell the specific location of the spot, but I thought it probably was a southwestern facing cliff on a northwest to southeast running ridge that was perpendicular to the direction of the Pineapple Express. After 4 days of the concentrated Pineapple Express dump on that 1 or 2 mile square spot, it had re-set enough times to indicate 130+ inches of rain in a four day period.
    Does anyone have information that such a small concentrated phenomenon is possible? This was NOT a hurricane, but the steady Pineapple Express...... expressing itself.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Look at the rain come down!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    BillLin likes this.
  7. BillLin

Could have been a faulty sensor placement. Like in someone's rain gutter downspout. :D

litesong likes this.
  8. litesong

litesong litesong

Wow! The skies cleared, today's sun is warm & a beautiful day is afoot. Already, the rivers are down 5 feet, due to the low temperatures last night(snow was below 1000 feet) & present clear skies.

BillLin likes this.
  9. BillLin

For us, rivers flood a while after plentiful snowfall and then it warms up.

RedylC94 and litesong like this.
  10. litesong

litesong litesong

Gosh, jes' liak our state. Who woulda thunk et!

BillLin likes this.
  11. BillLin

We don't get many floods from rain because it doesn't rain much here. :)

litesong likes this.
  12. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Interesting sequence order! I woulda thunk when it warms up after plentiful snowfall, THEN rivers flood a while.

BillLin likes this.
  13. BillLin

You're right. Intended as you wrote.

How about: For us, rivers flood a while after (plentiful snowfall and then it warms up). :D Throw me down the stairs my shoes!

EdwinTheMagnificent and RedylC94 like this.
  14. litesong

litesong litesong

I don't think it was a faulty sensor. All the data showing Accumulating Rainfall during the 4 days of steady rainfall, continuously surrounded this one or two mile square data point. I said that I couldn't pinpoint the spot exactly. But, there is a 10(?) mile long, steeply sloped heavily wooded 2500 to 3000+(?) foot ridge in the area, running from the northwest to southeast, that would have been directly blocking the in-coming weather stream. To continue flowing to the northeast, the weather stream would have had to lift thousands of feet. What an opportunity to dump huge amounts of rainfall for a solid 4 day period!
    P.S. Was just at that ridge, today (Sorry Bill. I traveled there.) Numerous 100 to 200 foot vertical cliffs dot that heavily wooded ridge. Yeah, I envision almost a thousand vertical & tree battering waterfalls pouring off that ridge.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  15. litesong

litesong litesong

The previous rains took some snow out of the mountains. & the present colder rains should limit flooding. However, there is lots of rain, so the rivers are causing flooding. An extra real problem tho, is the direction of the rains has been consistent & impinging on the same hill & mountain slopes. Land & mud slides have been occurring, bringing back memories of the very deadly Oso landslide.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  16. litesong

litesong litesong

Well, the rains have stopped, blue skies are here & sunbeams (between the clouds) warm us on our walk-abouts. Supposed to continue into next week, at least. When I was a kid the winter sun seldom had warmth. Now, February often has weather that smacks of Spring & not Winter. If the sun finds a gap between the clouds, it more than likely carries some heat. Yeah, yeah, yeah, not California heat, but heat for a northerner.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  17. litesong

litesong litesong

Well....... the rain was supposed to stop......but late yesterday I saw a very black storm cloud that swept over our area & into the mountains, soaking everything. The storm was reported on the news. Its been raining ever since, for 12 hours. I'm hoping the rain halt & sun yesterday afternoon was just a false start & the sunshine for the "next" 4 or 5 days..... is just about to start. We'll see.
    Meanwhile, (Seattle) precipitation totals since the beginning of the year (including 9.25 inchs of record rain in January) are 12.16 inches (normal-6.51 inches). Of course, much more rain & snow precipitation has fallen in the mountains.

P.S. Now, someone had mentioned those numbers didn't seem too high for Seattle, which has a reputation for rain. Seattle is partially in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains. Forks, Washington (Quillayute Airport), 100 miles from the east shores of the Salish Sea(Puget Sound), where Seattle is located & gets quite a bit of the full brunt of the Olympic peninsula storms, had its wettest calendar month in more than 50 years of records, with 30.78 inches of precipitation in January(~ 85% of Seattle's yearly total). Yeah, over 2.5 feet of rain in a month is a big drenching

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  18. litesong

litesong litesong

Was watching a Portland, Oregon TV station weather report, this morning. They said Portland would have sporadic sunshine, with only light scattered rain showers. However, they had a very early morning view from a weather camera on Mount Hood, ~ 45 miles east of Portland, showing a foot plus of new snow on the mountain. Funny, how mountains have such extremes in weather.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  19. litesong

litesong litesong

This day in Las Vegas, during Nevada Democratic caucus's..... its raining! Meanwhile here in the Puget Sound area, looks like clouds in the Cascade mountains are gathering & may back up to the lowlands & start raining? Still, the lowland rain prediction continues, only for tomorrow.

P.S. Yes, only a bit of rain came today. Supposed to be more tomorrow?
    P.S. 2. Well... before tomorrow, it is raining.... again. Of course, the weather prediction has been changed, so its supposed to be raining, now. That's one way to make accurate predictions.... NOT!!
    P.S. 3. Now that tomorrow is today, it was raining & now misting.... NOT a reason to go for a drive. But, the lower mountains show clearly beneath the clouds & the lowlands appear a bit brighter. Will clearing occur?
    P.S. 4. Yes, we got good weather for a drive.... so I went & not in my pants.:D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020 at 11:39 PM