Hyundai Nov. 2019 U.S. Sales Up 6.2% with 60,601 Vehicles Sold + 2020 Sonata Preview

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Dec 6, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Hyundai doubles down with an all-new flagship sedan.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – December 3, 2019

2020 Hyundai Sonata

[​IMG]
    28/38 and 27/37 mpg city/highway for the SE/SEL. 27/36 mpg city/highway for the SEL Plus and Limited w/ the 1.6L GDI-T.​

As the industry moves wholesale towards CUV/SUVs with the consumer demand to own them at the forefront, Hyundai is no exception, some OEMs including Ford and GM have abandoned the sedan in total. Hyundai on the other hand is doubling down and continues to develop sedans with the latest design, quality, safety, performance, and infotainment features. All despite the Sonata selling just 5,931 units in November down 27.4 percent and 80,361 vehicles YTD, down 16.6 percent.

With the all-new 8th gen 2020 Sonata available at dealerships now, its Hidden Lighting Lamps that turn chrome when off while sweeping back horizontally as chrome trim into the Day Light Opening Surround and lit when on is going to turn heads. The aggressive black mesh grille just adds to its presence. The profile looks like a 4-door coupe with steep rakes of the windscreen and rear glass. The rear highlights the trunk spoiler and a full horizontal rear light bar.

Under the hood is the brands all-new Smartstream G2.5L GDI mated to an 8-speed AT. With its 28/38 mpg city/highway rating, up from 26/35 mpg city/highway, not much new ground was overturned unfortunately as its chief competitors including the Camry LE/SE (28/39), Accord LX (30/38), and Altima S/SV (28/39) finds the Sonata landing just short of the targets in front of it.

While there was no discussion of the upcoming Hybrid, it is supposed to provide higher efficiency than the current 40/46 mpg city/highway rating of the 2019 Sonata Hybrid SE trim.

2020 Hyundai Sonata

[​IMG]
    Not a beautiful rear end but no mistakes back here either.​

2020 Hyundai Sonata Retail Pricing (MSRP) + $930 D&H
    • Sonata SE - $23,400
    • Sonata SEL - $25,500
    • Sonata SEL - $27,450
    • Sonata Limited - $33,300
    Hyundai November Sales Overview

Hyundai reported November 2019 U.S. sales of 60,601 vehicles, up 6.2 percent over the 57,082 vehicles sold in Nov. of 2018 on a volume basis.

Hyundai stated this result was completed while reducing its dependency on fleet sales, which were down 33 percent and represented 15 percent of total sales in November.

YTD sales of 624,051 are up 3.6 percent over the 602,527 sold through the same period of 2018, both on a volume basis.

November 2019 Hyundai U.S. Sales Highlights

Ioniq has its best ever October with 1,495 vehicles sold, up 39.2 percent over the 1,074 sold in November of 2018 YTD sales of 18,410 are up 33.4 percent over the 13,801 sold through the same period of 2018.

The mid-size 7-passenger 19/26 mpg city/highway rated Palisade SUV was picked up by 5,268 new owners and YTD, has achieved sales of 23,082 vehicles. Enough so that without it, the flying H brand would have actually experienced negative sales results.

2020 Hyundai Sonata

[​IMG]
    A sharp looking sedan with a uniquely designed front end.​

Between the Ioniq, Sonata HEV, PHEV, Kona BEV, and Nexo FCV, Hyundai’s environmentally-friendly lineup sales were up 36 percent at retail according to the company.

#Hyundai #November #Sales #Sonata #Elantra #Palisade

BillLin likes this.
  2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

If I was thinking about 'treating myself' ... I'd be thinking about the 2020 Sonata Limited.

Great looking sedan -- awesome features, ... a "poor man's S class"?

/note to Hyundai: start throwing some cash on the hood of this car in the next year or two .. and you might see me in my Civic pulling onto the lot for a test drive

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I think Hyundai has lost the plot on styling. Previous Sonatas were much better looking.

litesong, xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

If I wanted/needed a car this large...……….. make it an Accord.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Edwin:

As far as the Hybrid is concerned, our 17 Sonata Hybrid is more comfortable than the 14 - 18 Accord Hybrid. Quieter at higher speeds too. Just not the same level of efficiency at 38/43 mpg city/highway vs 47/47 mpg city/highway for the Accord. :( I am hopeful that Hyundai has an answer for that but so far we have heard nothing.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  6. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Less features, less sound proofing, smaller wheel/tire combos? ;):D

litesong and xcel like this.
  7. litesong

litesong litesong

Have walked Hyundai car lots, the most of all other dealers. To my surprise, I've seen several Civics for sale among the used cars. Not saying Hyundais are better than the best cars. But, I believe Hyundais (KIAs too?) can be more readily purchased, at lesser prices than rival vehicles. Often I've mentioned the sweet sub-retail deals I've gotten on Elantras, when other dealers wanted to charge MORE than retail. On multiple levels, Hyundais offer excellent value.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. litesong

litesong litesong

The 2011 Elantra was Hyundai's top looker. Always stated that any future styling changes would be downhill, which even small changes veered into slippery slope terrain. With the 2017 Elantra, the Hyundai renaissance..... ended.
    Presently, Hyundai takes a few cues from KIA.

xcel and BillLin like this.