Skyactiv X Engine--Vaporware No More

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by Jay, Dec 3, 2019 at 3:14 AM.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Mazda's breakthrough skyactiv-x engine went on sale in Europe in September. It's offered in the Mazda3 and CX-30 models. Prices for the skyactiv-x engine in Germany start at 26,790 Euros vs 23,290 Euros for the 2.0L normally aspirated skyactiv-g. Despite the high price premium, sales for the new engine are strong. Sixty percent of Mazda3 sales are with the new skyactiv-x engine and 45% order the skyactiv-x in the CX-30. This is much higher than Mazda expected.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/mazda-skyactiv-x-engine-high-demand

BillLin and xcel like this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jay:

Fingers crossed but I have doubts as the 3k RPM steady state cruise is the one that has my BS detector on full gain.

Mazda SKTACTIV-X 2.0L AT A GLANCE
    • Mazda’s new 2.0L SKYACTIV-X engine is the world’s first production gasoline unit to exploit the benefits of diesel-like compression ignition
    • Compression ratio 16.3:1
    • Skyactiv-X features Mazda's revolutionary Spark Controlled Compression Ignition (SPCCI)
    • In SPCCI mode, a split injection process creates separate zones of fuel-air mixture inside the combustion chamber
    • A very lean fuel/air mixture is injected during the intake stroke, then a zone of atomized fuel is precisely injected directly around the spark plug during the compression stroke
    • The small injection of atomized fuel directly around the spark plug builds a richer core which can ignite the small volume which in turn increases pressure in the combustion chamber to the point where the lean mixture rapidly combusts
    • The engine runs a high percentage of time in SPCCI mode other than cold starts, initial warm-up, and at very high load
    • Under these circumstances, the engine seamlessly switches to normal operation with a stoichiometric air/fuel mixture of 14.7:1
    • Combining high-revving performance of a gasoline engine with the fuel efficiency, torque and response of a diesel
    • Skyactiv-X delivers excellent response, smoothness, real world fuel consumption and good emission performance
    • With improvements especially great in the light engine load range, Skyactiv-X improves FE, while reducing CO2 and NOX
    • The All-New Mazda3 Skyactiv-X delivers 177.5 hp at 6,000 rpm and maximum torque of 165 lb-ft. of torque at 3,000 rpm
    • Euro 6d-compliant, it combines a WLTP measured combined fuel consumption of 34.1 to 43.6 mpgUS or ~ 28.4 to 36.3 mpgUS on our own EPA
    Torque output is approximately 10% greater than that of the 2.0L Skyactiv-G and the zone of good fuel economy is dramatically expanded over the same unit.

The All-New Mazda3 Skyactiv-X is available with either Skyactiv-MT 6-speed manual transmission (6MT) or Skyactiv-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission (6AT). The powertrain line-up features front-wheel-drive (FWD) on All-New Mazda3 hatchback and sedan models, hatchback models are optionally available with Mazda’s unique i-Activ all-wheel-drive (AWD).

While the SKYACTIV-X 2.0L I4 produces very low levels of CO2 and NOX emissions, it apparently produces higher than normal particulate and thus it uses both a three-way-catalyst and a Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF).

Wayne

Jay and BillLin like this.
  3. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Hmm maybe will see one here next year?

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find reviews of the new skyactiv x engine. There are a few of them but none of them makes accurate fuel mileage comparisons to the skyactiv g engines. This is always frustrating because the whole point of the skyactiv x engine is better fuel economy. My impression is that the fuel savings fall short of the claimed 15% to 20% improvements that Mazda has claimed. I can only speculate because the reviewers won't actually measure. o_O

At any rate, the engine seems to be selling in Europe, despite the high premium, so gasoline prices over there must justify the extra expense. In the US, Mazda probably feels that gasoline prices are too low for it to pencil out.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. SI_Prius

SI_Prius Well-Known Member

"...the whole point of the skyactiv x engine is better fuel economy"

No it's not, the Skyactiv-X is the most powerful engine you can have in Mazda 3 and new CX-30 in Europe and it's around €3,000 more expensive. I think the fuel economy improvements are compared to other 180 HP engines and not the 122 HP 2.0 Skyactiv-G engine.

WLTP figueres are:
    Skyactiv-G122 2WD/MT: 6.0/6.2 l/100 km
    Skyactiv-G122 2WD/AT: 6.6/6.9 l/100 km
    Skyactiv-X180 2WD/MT: 5.5/5.8 l/100 km
    Skyactiv-X180 2WD/AT: 6.2/6.3 l/100 km

So a 6-9% improvement on paper, but people who buy the more performance version will (statistically) get roughly the same or even worse gas mileage than Skyactiv-G122, just because of the driving style.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

When I say the whole point of the Skyactiv x engine is better fuel economy, I mean as a technology. It's not a problem to achieve 180 hp in a gasoline engine. Lots of engines and engine makers do this. Who does it with the best efficiency? So I stand by my criticism of reviewers that completely overlook the efficiency aspect of the engine or give it a slight, passing, completely subjective mention. I have looked at a number of written and youtube reviews and not a single reviewer has actually measured the fuel economy of the car. Fail.

I think one of the reasons for the strong skyactiv x sales in Europe is taxes. Many countries tax an engine choice according to emissions and the skyactiv x has low emissions numbers so the upcharge may only be 900 euro after taxes than the 3000 Mazda gets. One of the Danish reviewers alluded to this.

7. xcel

Hi All:

While the exercise is noteworthy, the improvement in efficiency appears to be lacking. All of this promotion and hope only to be dashed again by Mazda. The All-electric they revealed in China is a short range mess, SKYACTIV-D turned into a waste of everyone's time here in the U.S., and now the SKYACTIV-X appears to be heading in the same direction. We will not see this here if that is all it is offering. Maybe something efficient will arrive but this apparently is not it. :(

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Not a detailed test, .. but this reviewer likes the car and says they got 40 mpg (6./100km) on their drive.
    youtube
    Mazda 3 Skyactiv-X REVIEW with acceleration and fuel consumption Mazda3 Fastback - Autogefuel

I am not surprised at a high uptake in europe with a 180hp 40 mpg gasoline mazda 3. Diesels were too dirty, now too complicated, and EV batteries still too expensive and not quite ready for prime time (range/durability).

SkyactiveX mazda 3 makes good sense.. especially with $6+/gallon gasoline.

9. xcel

Hi Carcus:

While the Camry is not a Mazda3 fighter - vastly different buyer, the 2020 Toyota Camry LEs 2.5L provides 203 hp and 184 lb-ft. of torque and a 29/41/34 mpgUS city/highway/combined EPA rating here in the US on our own EPA.

This is why I now believe SKYACTIV-X is going to be another mess for the U.S.

Wayne

Carcus and BillLin like this.