Month of December 2019 (Nat’l avg $2.591)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the grind :D

[​IMG]

The national average gas price is down 2.3¢ (-0.9%) since last month at $2.591 - this time last year it was higher at $2.477 so it's 11.4¢ (4.6%) dearer.
    Diesel remains over $3 - its up a tiny 0.3¢ (+0.1%) on the month to $3.011. It is however 15.1¢ (-4.8%) cheaper than this time last year. Diesel premium is +16.2% over Regular.
    E85 is up 1.1¢ (+0.5%) to $2.320 - a year ago it was $2.172 so 6.8% dearer.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    BillLin likes this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Thanks, Gord. I just passed through Virginia where the lowest price I saw was $2.129.

Gord likes this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks , Gord. Today , temps were 32 F in Naperville , 31 in Wood Dale , and 32 in Toronto.
    Direct headwind most of the way. 35.1 miles , 56.2 MPG.
    Tank is at 240.3 miles , 56.9 MPG.

BillLin and Gord like this.
  4. Gord

No problem Bill and Edwin :) - I’ve added some words!

This morning, while sitting at first set of traffic lights before I got to car pooler's house, the dash went BLEEP and warned me of low battery and to turn on the engine to charge up the battery! :rolleyes: - haven't used car since Nov 23. I will have to top it up next time it's going to be sitting for a while!
    Kept engine on for a change until I got outside his house and then turned engine, headlights and heater off for the minute I had to wait before he got in. Motorway route, freezing 31 to 34°F, headwind W8:
    43.2 / 22.6

Tank up 0.1 at 42.7 (FCD 44.5) / 202.6 / Range 415 . Guess gauge F_«««|««««E . UG up 0.1 at 44.7 / DTE 401

BillLin likes this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

I know all about running the engine to maintain SOC. Since about 12 miles of my pre-dawn driving is a lot
    of 40MPH-20MPH glides , the battery will sometimes lose a bar of charge. If I'm one bar low when I get to work ,
    it will often go down another 1 or 2 bars in the first half-mile after leaving work later in the day. I do try
    to park the car with a full ( six bars ) battery. Therefore , I sometimes need to run engine a bit longer and/or
    use a bit of brake to maintain charge.

6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

38F this morning. 48.9 mpg / 20.1 miles to school, then back home, then to work. Left my laptop and had to go back. :rolleyes:

7. PaleMelanesian

Last week while I was off work I took the Fit in to the shop.

New tires:
    Yokohama Avid Ascend GT
    I'll probably lose some mpg here but I'm ok with that. I'll still be playing at the top end of what's out there.

Replaced the ABS modulator - It just up and failed. New part is $1500 so I got a salvage part for $100 and had them install it.

8. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

That's because the battery is doing nearly all the work in your first minute after the engine starts, unless you demand more power than the battery is allowed to provide.
    I usually park with 6 segments, occasionally 5 or 7, despite my last mile being nearly all downhill.

Gord, EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  9. BillLin

I just got home from a trip to South Carolina. 1 foot plus of snow on the ground when I got home. 2 foot pile of snow at the roadside. 2 foot pile of snow in front of the garage where the roof dumps all the snow. My back aches... :( I only cleared one car width so far to get the car into the garage for the night. Several more hours of heavy lifting in the next day or so to fully clear the driveway.

I had clear sailing until New Jersey where the edge of the storm and temperature drop changed the precipitation to freezing rain and sleet. The highly traveled and maintained roads were quite passable though and only later were there slushy lanes where driving in the tracks helps. Kept the speed up to keep to schedule where I could. (lowest MPG ever! it was windy, too...) There were spots with 20-30 mph traffic in New Jersey as the work day ended for some and commuting rush 'hour' was in full swing. At the tail end of the drive, in north central Massachusetts, there was plenty of snow on the ground and the roads were not well cleared with the ongoing snow event.

One thing I learned. All the whiz-bang safety gear is rendered inoperative with a drive in a snow storm. RCC. Emergency braking and lane keep assist. Park assist sonar. All useless and less than useful repeated warnings all the while driving to the next rest stop where I can clear the snow and ice.

Gord and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

There is no substitute for an alert and skilled human driver. Edwin has spoken.

Today , 31 deg F in Naperville , 29 in wood Dale , and 28 in Toronto.
    A nice tailwind (SW) helped me today. 35.1 miles , 61.2 MPG.
    Tank is at 307.7 miles , 286 remaining , 57.8 MPG.

Gord, RedylC94 and BillLin like this.
  11. PaleMelanesian

These new tires are a lot more draggy. My coasts are noticeably shorter. :( Hope they'll break in.

46.9 / 5.3 home last night
    50.1 / 11.8 this morning. It was frosty.

The tank is down a tick to 50.6 / 546 mi and the low fuel light just came on.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  12. BillLin

More snow overnight... another 8". I'm on the edge of the red zone.

191203_snow_totals.jpg

Wife called in the cavalry with snow plow and snow thrower (with only 1 side of the auger working). Took care of the bulk of the 2/3 I had left to do, but also left more work to do. I'm still grateful, though. :) The plow pushed snow into the neighbor's yard and blocked access the neighbor needs to get their oil tank filled, so I cleared the way that we had obstructed. The gate to my side yard was also a snow plow pile, so had to dig through that. Thank goodness for my flexible working hours and working from home. I'll do my full hours but it'll be into tonight.

Gord likes this.
  13. PaleMelanesian

Lunchtime trip to the feed store and gas fillup. Very disappointing fill. The shop used some gas and dragged it down. Temperatures are dropping. This is my lowest since March.

559 miles
    11.305 gallons
    49.5 mpg

14. EdwinTheMagnificent

8" ! We have been lucky so far here. Sure , we had snow on Halloween and a fair amount in November.

Today , no snow. :) 33 deg F in Naperville , 32 in wood Dale , and 29 in Toronto.
    35.1 miles , 60.3 MPG. Tank is at 377.1 miles , 206 remaining , and 58.4 MPG.

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 29 deg F in Naperville and Wood Dale , 33 in Toronto.
    35.1 miles , 58.5 MPG.
    Tank is at 444.8 miles , 139 remaining , 58.9 MPG.

16. BillLin

Gord likes this.
  17. PaleMelanesian

49.8 / 11.7 this morning. Still questioning these new tires. The grip is fantastic but they're draggy.

BillLin likes this.
  18. Gord

Monday night, 2UP, detour #2, 39°F, rubbish:
    38.2 / 20.3

Tuesday morning, 2UP, motorway route, frosty 36°F:
    44.2 / 22.6

Tuesday night, 2UP, detour #8, 40°F, rubbish again:
    38.5 / 23.1

Wednesday morning on my own are car pooler not well, motorway route, 36°F:
    48.3 / 21.5

Wednesday night, 1UP, detour #8, 39°F, very slow, lots of stop/start engine offs:
    40.8 / 21.9

Thursday morning 1UP, motorway route, 38°F:
    48.2 / 21.5

I'm doing better on my own but still lower than I would like - the colder weather and bad traffic are definitely dragging down my numbers.....maybe it’s my new tires :rolleyes: (Andrew!) - I will check pressures tomorrow morning before I set off.

Tank down 0.1 at 42.6 (FCD 44.8) / 333.5 / Range 260 . Guess gauge F____|««««E . UG down 0.2 at 44.5 / DTE 268

Lost 2nd pip (of 8) @ 208 miles
    Lost 3rd pip (of 8) @ 270 miles
    Half tank @ 333 miles

PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 39 deg F in Naperville , 37 in Wood Dale , and 33 in Toronto.
    The flag on Brummel Ave was pointed straight to the south , which means that about half of my 35 mile commute
    was directly into a stiff headwind. Ouch. 35.1 miles , 54.6 MPG.
    Tank is at 518.6 miles , 58 remaining , 59.0 MPG.

20. PaleMelanesian

14.1 mpg this morning in the big van. (on old tires!) Traffic was bad so it could have been better.