2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid Wins Green Car of the Year

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 25, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] One of the most popular sedans in the U.S. takes a coveted award back home to Texas.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – November 21, 2019

2020 Toyota Corolla LE Hybrid

[​IMG]

Los Angeles, CA -- Remember the 2020 Toyota Corolla LE Hybrid reveal almost a year ago from the floor of last year’s 2018 LA Auto Show? 2020 Toyota Corolla Goes Hybrid! With the current 4th gen Prius' 121 net hp atkinsonized 1.8L Hybrid drivetrain, Toyota Safety Sense 2.0, a 53/52/52 mpgUS City/Highway/Combined rating and a starting price of $23,100 + $955 D&H, up $150 and $25 from its launch price respectively, it offers efficiency beyond its competitors reach.

After our recent short first drive of this Toyota Hybrid in the Toyota’s Electrified Past, Present and Future story, it proved its capability just like the Prius’ from which its drivetrain was borrowed.

2020 Toyota Corolla LE Hybrid Interior

[​IMG]

Day 2 of the LA Auto Show Press days is when Green Car Journal announces its Green Car of the Year. With their team of 11- experts, the group selected the first-ever 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid as its 2020 Green Car of the Year. The last time a Toyota won this award was way back in 2007 with the at the time ground breaking 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid midsize sedan.

The all-new and first-ever Corolla Hybrid is the brands most affordable Hybrid outside the Prime Plug-in with the Fed TC and State Tax rebates attached. In any case, with a $750 incentive nationwide and at least $500 off MSRP, the 2020 Corolla Hybrid could be yours for just under $23k + TTL.

BillLin likes this.
  2. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

You going to get one for an in depth test, and does it have Android Auto/Apple CarPlay? Interesting that they did away with the joystick trans controller.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I kinda like the joystick.

4. xcel

Hi Thunderstruck:

I will make the request today. No Android Auto unfortunately but Apple CarPlay is std.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  5. xcel

Hi All:

A 2020 Corolla Hybrid LE is being scheduled for review sometime after thanksgiving as I speak. :)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  6. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Request that they add Android auto while you're at it. If it doesn't have Android Auto, I'm not interested. They seem to be tone deaf at Toyota.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. xcel

Hi Thunderstruck:

Toyota does not have Android Auto in the 2020 Yaris, Corolla, Prius, or Prius Prime. 2020 Camry, RAV4, Avalon, and Highlander now have Android Auto.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. xcel

Hi All:

I am scheduling a 2020 Corolla Hybrid for Dec. 10 - 17th as I type. I do wonder if it will provide the same magic that the 4th gen Prius Two Eco/L Eco, Prius 3 and 4/LE through Limited, and of course all the Primes have. While it showed its stuff in Greensboro, it did not feel like a Prius when it comes to efficiency. I had to work at breaking the 100 mpg barrier in it. The Prius at the same event and on the same drive loop never bothered to look back.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  9. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Looks wise the Honda Insight is my pick.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  10. xcel

Hi George:

I like the Insight interior over the Corolla Hybrid and Ioniq myself.

Exterior the Ioniq fits my tastes. The Corolla is not to bad either.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  11. xcel

2020 Toyota Corolla LE Hybrid Review

Carlsbad, CA -- We have driven this particular super hybrid numerous times over the past year and each time, the average Fuel Consumption Display (aFCD) has always pegged at 99.9 mpg. All of these drives were short RT drive loops of no more than 6-miles with no opportunity to take it out for a lengthy measured jaunt however. Today was the day we did exactly that...

[​IMG]
    First measured drive. Topped Off, aFCD reset, and Trip A reset.​

This week’s ride is the 53/52/52 mpgUS City/Highway/Combined rated 2020 Toyota Corolla LE Hybrid. Introduced just over a year ago at the 2018 LA Auto Show, the Corolla Hybrid was the last Toyota to receive a world class hybrid system and, in this case, it was pulled directly from the award winning 4th gen Prius. With a heavily atkinsonized 121 hp and 105 lb-ft. of torque (system net) 1.8L I4 L hybrid drivetrain under the hood, is it any wonder that the Corolla Hybrid's efficiency would be superlative? Just over a week ago, it was awarded Green Car Journals "Green Car of the Year."

Only available in one trim, the LE, it starts at $23,100 + $955 D&H. Here in Southern California, there is a $750 rebate and most dealerships are providing another $750 off retail for an out the door price of ~ 22,500 + TTL.

Built on a 106.3" wheelbase, the 2020 Toyota Corolla LE Hybrid has 88.6 and 13.1 cu. ft. of passenger/cargo volume respectively. A little smaller volume than competitors specs but in its defense, they have no answer for what is found under the hood.

While regenerative braking will slow you almost to a stop under most conditions, 10.8" and 10.2" front/rear discs are standard. Struts up front, and an all-new multi-link suspension with rear stabilizer bar out back provide a compliant ride – read soft –over road imperfections. During a more aggressive avoidance maneuver, the front and rear tighten up to provide a nice handling compact up to the about .3 Gs as that is about as hard as I pushed it this afternoon. Steering is still Corolla numb.

Inside finds a somewhat bland mix of soft touch plastics nearby and hard touch plastics further from your reach. Gloss black radio surrounds and bright plastic trim provide an upscale look and feel vs predecessors. Driver seating continues to be a sore spot for taller drivers like myself with limited seat track and short seat bottoms. Finding a comfortable position is tough but it is better than past Corolla’s. I could live with the latest vs. unlivable from just a generation ago. Rear seating feels ok with decent leg room with the front seats moved full forward. The short seat bottoms continue to plague the Corolla for taller drivers in back however.

The Display Audio system sports a nice looking hi-def 8” floating display. The base audio system with 6-speakers is lackluster with minimalistic bass and highs that lack clarity. Bluetooth works fine and the Corolla Hybrid does arrive with Apple CarPlay but Android Auto continues to be MIA. Some European and Australian Corolla’s have received Android Auto via dealership upgrade and standard from current build going forward. Just not here and it continues to be a huge misstep.

The frameless rear view looks modern in a very cool way.

On the safety front, the 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid checks most of the boxes with the standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0. That includes a Pre-Collision System w/Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist and Road Edge Detection, Automatic High Beams (AHB), Road Sign Assist (RSA), Lane Tracing Assist (LTA), and Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC).

The Lane Departure Alert nails it with any approach to a well-marked lane edge. AHBs are extremely quick and dead on when coming up on vehicles from the rear or head on from long distances away. The DRCC works wonderfully with very low Gs for accelerations and decelerations. It did have trouble when following with one-bar of distance set and another vehicle encroached into my lane.

I did find the lack of Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alert short sighted.

With the above, the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the Corolla Hybrid 5-stars, its top rating. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has awarded the Corolla Hybrid a Top Safety Pick missing the top score + rating due to its std. LED headlamps not illuminating to the edges.

And now on to the first drive efficiency? I topped off in Torrance, CA with my displays reset and document completion concluded at 03:05 PM. It was time to roll. Since it was Rush Hour along the busiest roadway in the country. the infamous 405 between LA and the OC, the Corolla Hybrid was in its element and boy did it show its stuff.

Finally arriving at a local gas station in Carlsbad at 05:40 PM after covering some 86.5 miles from initial top off to second refuel, there was no point to refuel. With the aFCD pegged at 99.9 mpg and a gain of 1 bar of SoC from 3 at launch to 4 at the recording fuel stop, I have no idea what the efficiency is so the calibration will have to wait until tomorrow. I will let my wife Marian take it out for a few miles to bring its efficiency down below 99.9 mpg and refuel from that point to come up with the aFCD offset. Once I have the offset, I will complete the steady states for a Speed vs FE curve. I am expecting big things from that later in the week as well!

All-in, another spectacular Toyota Hybrid performance and I cannot wait to get behind the wheel to experience that fantastic efficiency again tomorrow.

Wayne

#Toyota #Corolla #Hybrid #CleanMPG

BillLin likes this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

I'm glad Toyota makes this car.

13. xcel

Hi All:

This morning I booted up the Corolla Hybrid to take it to the gas station with the 99.9 mpg after 87.9 miles still displayed as it sat in my drive. As soon as I started it, poof, the display reset. There is no Trip A/B/lmpg displays, just the single aFCD and History which was blank.

Toyota can build a great drivetrain but their programmers are truly back seat drivers when it comes to the little stuff like this. Just allow me to reset a Trip or tank aFCD at my leisure, not hard coded into one single aFCD display with your algorithms.

I swapped between the digital and digital/analog displays and there was nothing in there either???

I guess I will have to perform the steady states with an uncalibrated aFCD and hopefully from the History like the Camry we were in a few weeks ago with resets on the fly. All that time and effort - read work - wasted.

Edit Addendum

I am a stupid SOB sometimes. ;)

I checked my past drives of the 2020 Toyota Corolla LE Hybrid and sure enough, the aFCD was set for Total. Here it is from the Toyota’s Electrified Past, Present and Future event.

[​IMG]
    Total is not lifetime, it is whatever you want as a "Press Ok to Reset" appears. Damn, that is a rookie mistake!!!

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  14. SI_Prius

SI_Prius Well-Known Member

Looking at some European data, the error is from 4% to 9%, but can't say about the distance measured, you can do that yourself. I would take 6% as a rough estimate.

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

That is stupid. What's wrong with you , Toyota ? But my brother's 2017 Accord does the same thing.

16. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

The 2017 Prime has the standard A/B trip meters and a volatile 3rd one reset automatically with every cycle of READY state to off and back on again. Why would Toyota mess with that!? Did the results of some stupid survey suggest for them to do so?

EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  17. xcel

Hi All:

I was installing and removing some of my Rideshare electronics gear to see how that would work out for that. The Corolla Hybrid does not have any rear seat cupholders in the back of the center console so cans etc. have to go into the fold down center armrest with cup holders. Not a big deal here.

Cup/bottle holders in the back doors are at an approximately 45-degree angle. Great for a bottle of water with a cap but not a can of pop as an example.

Only (1) 12V and one 2.1 A charging port and both are inside the center console. Wait until you see the mess of wires that I packed in there. The good is that the cover has two indents for the cords to sit in and pass through while the cover is fully closed.

No sunglass holder which has been a misstep in many Toyota's for a long time.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  18. xcel

Hi All:

So what is it like to live with the 2020 Toyota Corolla LE Hybrid?

[​IMG]
    A $125 Costco run fills the trunk to capacity quickly. Some groceries went into the back seat.​

The cargo volume spec is a little small compared to rivals at just 13.2 cu. ft. vs the Civic and Elantra sedan at 15.1 and 14.4 cu. ft. of cargo volume respectively. The Corolla Hybrid will still accommodate two full sized suitcases and a soft carry-on plus back pack but it is noticeably tighter than competitors.

I found grocery items slide around in the back more than I would like as the carpeted cargo mat is a little slick. I would swap it out for an all-weather mat and hopefully that issue would go away as well.

Wayne

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019 at 2:18 AM
    BillLin likes this.
  19. xcel

Hi All:

And the upscale look frameless rear-view mirror that I like that a lot. Unfortunately, still no sunglass holder. Toyota instead installed that Emergency Call button under the toggle. I am not even sure that works once your subscription expires let alone one in 1,000,000 Corolla owners over the life of their vehicle that would never use it vs sunglass holder that would be used every day for most.

[​IMG]

With the picture up, look at the small buttons to control the interior map lights. Most OEMs allow you to push on the plastic covers to turn on and off the lights. The RAV4 and Camry Hybrid had this same problem. Such a simple fix. :(

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  20. xcel

Hi All:

I described some of the aFCD programming shortcomings in detail above and they are glaring.

However, the std. digital display is clear concise and easy to read. The wow factor comes from switching to the digitally generated analog speedometer. It is bright, easily read, and plays way beyond the Corolla Hybrids price point.

[​IMG]

My wife and I went for a long drive this afternoon and the results even with her driving about half the distance were astounding! This hybrid drivetrain is to die for!!!

Wayne

BillLin likes this.