All-new 2020 Nissan Sentra Preview

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 22, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Lower, wider, more attractive, more powerful, and more efficient.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – November 20, 2019

2020 Nissan Sentra

[​IMG]

Los Angeles -- Nissan unveiled its all-new 8th gen 2020 Nissan Sentra for the LA Auto Show revealing the final sedan remake using the brands design language. Not only is the all-new Sentra’s lineage include over 6 million vehicles sold to date, it is arguably one of the lowest total cost of ownership vehicles available in the U.S. today. A practical Rideshare platform anyone? You betcha.

On sale in late January, the Sentra was endowed with the brands bold V-Motion design language with some of the the most advanced safety features available in the compact segment.

2020 Nissan Sentra Exterior

The all-new 8th gen Sentra is built on an all-new platform that is two inches lower and two inches wider than the current offering. The exterior signature V-motion grille, thin LED headlamps, floating roof, and new wheel designs make for a stunning entry into a segment that is essentially down to Toyota’s Corolla, Honda’s Civic, and Hyundai Elantra as the rest of the competition have succumbed to that, competition.

[​IMG]

2020 Nissan Sentra Interior

Inside, the all-new interior of Sentra is more refined with what Nissan had said to be smooth operation of the dials and switches. Carryover amenities range from heated front seats and heated outside mirrors, Nissan's NASA-inspired Zero Gravity seats and Intelligent Around View Monitor. Infotainment includes an available floating 8” multi-touch center display and NissanConnect with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

2020 Nissan Sentra Drivetrain

The 2020 Sentra features a new, 149 hp (up 20 percent) and 146 lb-ft of torque (up 16 percent) 2.0L I4 over the current generation's 1.8L I4. More importantly, the new 2.0L is supposed to offer improved fuel economy over the current Gens 29/37 mpgUS city/highway rating. It better as the aforementioned new(er) generations Corolla, Civic, and Elantra are currently ahead.

Following the lead of the Corolla and Civic, the all-new Sentra will incorporate a new independent rear suspension and a new electric power steering system with more steering feel.

[​IMG]

2020 Nissan Sentra Safety

The Sentra like all of the most recent Nissan model releases will include standard Nissan Safety Shield 360 that includes Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection, Rear Automatic Braking, and High Beam Assist. The new Sentra also offers standard 10 airbags, Rear Door Alert, Intelligent Forward Collision Warning, and Intelligent Driver Alertness.

2020 Nissan Sentra Early Conclusions

It is about time that Nisan introduces a more competitive compact. As long as the wheelbase continues to be at least 106.3”, its interior and cargo volume should remain competitive. Will only the SR and SL arrive with discs out back like the current gen? How much of an efficiency improvement should we expect? I will keep my ear to the tracks and let you know as soon as I hear of anything.

As a new rideshare vehicle? It should be a good one if the CVT is more durable and the price is kept in check.

2020 Nissan Sentra

#AllNewNissanSentra #Nissan #Sentra #NissanLAAS

BillLin likes this.
  2. xcel

Hi All:

While the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E and 2022 Tesla CyberTruck garnered all of the media attention through the LA Auto Show period despite neither actually being introduced on the floor of the LA Auto Show, the rest of us have to come back down to earth for a bit of reality. Meaning $40 to $60k vehicles are wants but are way outside the realm of a serious purchase for the vast majority. The 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime is going to be a mid to high 30s offering and after the Fed TC and State tax rebates, sort of fits the bill. However, with the meager pocket book most of us including myself do in fact live with, the all-new 2020 Sentra may fit the bill.

2020 Nissan Sentra

[​IMG]

I have been a fan of Nissan's V-Motion Grille and interior designs since the current gen Maxima and Murano were released. The new Altima includes the same attention to detail and design language but most here know my heart is with the small and extremely affordable compacts. This new 2020 Nissan Sentra appears to check all of the boxes with regards to its updated appearance, it will surely ride and handle like most Nissan sedans which means excellent, the seats and ergo should be close to just right thanks in part to those NASA inspired 0-Gravity seats, the infotainment appears up to date as it should be, and the advanced safety HW an SW are a generation beyond what vehicles from 5-years ago could only dream of incorporating.

In any case, I will be heading up to the short lead in Santa Barbara on Dec. 9th and 10th for the first drive of the all-new 2020 Nissan Sentra. I will ask if they will allow me a drive away back to San Diego as I can knock out an aFCD calibration and perform steady states on one at the same time as well?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

This car will look dated and tacky in two years. What's next , a black vinyl half-top ?
    Trick or Treat.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Nice. Another 'not so compact' compact that will (most likely) push 40 mpg highway.

Looks like Nissan's upped their game here. Independent suspension, better interior, etc.....

If all the "up to my eyeballs" pickup/SUV drivers could put their egos aside for a moment, they might realize they like driving a sedan better.

/I actually like the paint. But then again, halloween is my favorite holiday. imo that body design, just like most other sedans today, is very 'aero (read 'cafe standards') driven' -- not that different from all the others, and is likely here to stay for quite some time. IOW the drivetrain may change, but the shell's going to stay the same. Especially if it's got a plug, .. and you actually want to try and cover some ground.
    //oh, .. and bad move Ford/GM -- leaving this segment to the competition

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

And Chevy , too.

6. xcel

Hi Carcus:

One of the fallout's of Chevrolet, Ford, and FCA leaving the compact segment is those that are left are not discounting as deeply. I watch retail and sales pricing in search of a hot deal pretty closely. Both the Sentra and Elantra are not going out the door with a minimum of $6k off sticker anymore. I still see the occasional 19 Sentra S and 20 Elantra SE with just over/under $5k off but min trims for $15k + when mid-trims were running near the same price or less just two years ago is a repercussion.

[​IMG]

In the above deal, the 19 Sentra S is not in the same league as the 20 Elantra SE. 2020 appears to change that. I hope?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.