Holy $*%!, 45 MPG From The 2020 Jeep Wrangler? It’s Called “EcoDiesel”

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 14, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] The 442 lb-ft. of torque will make a rock crawling beginner into an intermediate right off the lot.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – November 12, 2019

2020 Jeep Wrangler 4WD w/ the 3.0L EcoDiesel

[​IMG]
    Just over $39k to start in Sport Trim to mid $50k range for the fully Off-road ready Rubicon.​

Springdale, UT -- The most off-road capable consumer vehicle available receives the most fuel-efficient and highest torque turbo diesel ever offered in a Wrangler. That engine is the all-new 260 hp and 442 lb-ft of torque 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel mated to an 8-speed AT with a standard 3.73 rear end.

One of its key off-road qualities is all Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel models including the Sport, Sahara and Rubicon feature third-generation Dana 44 front and rear solid heavy-duty axles. Those axles alone would cost $8 to $10k extra not incl. installation if purchased as an accessory online!

Two transfer cases are offered: A Rock-Trac two-speed transfer case with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio on the Rubicon and the Command-Trac part-time two-speed transfer case with a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio on Sport and Sahara.
    A detail spec you may not see anywhere else. The Cd is 0.464. I think a brick may actually be more aerodynamic! ;)

The 2020 Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel should reach dealership showrooms in just weeks.

The Superlative All-new 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel

The third generation 3.0L EcoDiesel delivers 22 more lb-ft. of torque and 20 more hp than the 2nd gen EcoDiesel we have driven in both the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Along with an EPA highway rating of a yet to be released approximately 30 mpg in the Sahara and Sport trims, NVH is the lowest level I have experienced in any Wrangler ridden in. With very limited experience as either a driver or passenger ridden over the past 3 decades, the all-new 2020 allows you to have a standard conversation up to about 65 mph with the top and doors on without raising your voice or straining to hear.

The new EcoDiesel continues to use a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods while the aluminum alloy pistons are cooled on the underside via oil jets. Heat-treated aluminum cylinder heads use individual bearing caps to reduce friction and minimize NVH. The chain-driven overhead camshafts employ roller-finger followers.

The diesel engine’s turbo Charge Air Cooler (CAC) is located at the base of the grille, in front of the radiator, to maximize cooler temperatures. The CAC uses the same mounting position as in the four-cylinder gasoline turbo engine, helping to reduce complexity.

A new 5.1-gallon diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank is located immediately behind the fuel tank with refill location next to the diesel fuel filler. DEF refills align with oil changes lasting up to 10,000 miles. Levels are monitored via a new DEF gauge in the front cluster.

An interesting maintenance item tidbit is that the EcoDiesels front mounted belt driving the ancillaries is rated for replacement at 10-years and 100k miles with replacement taking just minutes. That vs GMs all-new 3.0L Duramax’s internal oil pump belt that you have to crack the block from the transmission to replace at 150k miles. OCI is a std. 10k miles.

3rd gen 3.0L EcoDiesel

[​IMG]

So what makes this all-new 3rd gen more powerful, more efficient, and even quieter?

On the power side,
    • New water-cooled variable geometry turbine w/ low-friction bearings
    • Redesigned cylinder head intake ports with higher flow and swirl
    • The EGR now includes a low and high pressure circuit where the low-pressure system draws gases after the turbo and diesel particulate filter minimizing turbocharger energy losses
    On the efficiency side,
    • The compression ratio has been increased from 16.0:1 from 16.5:1
    • Alloy pistons were redesigned with 50 percent lower friction
    • Diamond like coating on the pistons wrist pin and rings reduce friction
    • Dual electric and new mechanical low-friction vacuum pump with smaller and lighter weight blades
    • Low Pressure EGR draws after the DPF so as not to draw off the hot exhaust gases
    On the noise and vibration side,
    • The piston pin is offset by 0.3 mm from the centerline reducing harmonics
    • Lower portion of the two-piece oil sump uses a lightweight sandwiched polymer/metal material
    • Compacted graphite iron block reduces NVH and weighs 15 lbs. less than the 2nd gen EcoDiesel
    The 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine is produced at FCA’s Cento facility in Ferrara, Italy whereas the Jeep itself is being built in Toledo, OH.

2020 Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel First Drive

I took the wheel in Mount Carmel Junction, UT (5,210' ASL) at US 89 and UT-9, about 10-miles east of Zion National Park. After traversing the park on Rt. 9, we drove though Springdale, Rockville, Grafton, Virgin, La Verkin, and Hurricane, UT before driving into Sand Hollow State Park (3,074' ASL) for an amazing EcoDiesel off-road experience. The first drive in a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara w/ the EcoDiesel reached a maximum elevation of 6,142' ASL inside Zion National Park and 2,854' ASL minimum elevation just west of Hurricane, UT.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    45.5 mpg indicated after 58.1 miles and a descent of some 2,136 ft.​

After completing a net descent of 2,136', the 4WD 2020 Jeep Wrangler provided a displayed 45.5 mpg after 58.1 miles indicated.

2020 Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel Return Drive

For the return, I drove another 4WD 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara from just outside Sand Hollow State Park (2,979' ASL) on UT-9 and drove back through Hurricane, La Verkin, Virgin, Grafton, Rockville, and Springdale, UT where we were staying at the Cable Mountain Lodge (3,944' ASL).

The return drive in a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara w/ the EcoDiesel reached a maximum elevation of 3,980’ ASL in Springdale and 2,854' ASL minimum elevation near the aFCD and Trip A/B reset launch point in Hurricane, UT.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    39.6 mpg indicated after 30.9 miles and an ascent of some 965 ft.​

After completing a net ascent of 965', the 4WD 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara provided a displayed 39.6 mpg over 30.9 miles indicated.

the Wrangler Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon with the EcoDiesel is indeed more powerful, quieter, and especially more efficient. Its main reason for being is the rock crawling capability plus.

2020 Jeep Wrangler w/ the 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel and 8-speed AT Pricing ($USD)
    • Sport - $37,795
    • Sport S - $40,995
    • Sahara - $44,645
    • Rubicon - $47,795
    By comparison to the rest of the 2020 Jeep Wrangler lineup...

2020 Jeep Wrangler w/ the 3.6L V6 and 6-speed MT
    • Sport - $31,795
    • Sport S - $34,995
    • Sahara - $38,645
    • Rubicon - $41,795
    2020 Jeep Wrangler w/ the 2.0L I4 Turbo and 8-speed AT
    • Sport - $33,295
    • Sport S - $36,495
    • Rubicon - $43,295
    2020 Jeep Wrangler w/ the 2.0L I4 eTorque and 8-speed AT
    • Sahara - $40,645
    2020 Jeep Wrangler w/ the 3.6L V6 and 8-speed AT
    • Sport - $34,545
    • Sport S - $37,745
    • Rubicon - $44,545
    2020 Jeep Wrangler w/ the 3.6L V6 eTorque and 8-speed AT
    • Sahara - $41,895
    Currently, many Wrangler owners will spend $3k on some 33 to 37" BFGoodrich K02s and new rims, $10k on solid DANA axles F&R, $10k on a turbo, super charger, or even more on an uprated Hemi crate engine, and a $2k low range transfer case to do what the Rubicon with an EcoDiesel does right off the lot. In addition, instead of receiving 10 to 13 mpg while traveling hundreds of miles to their favorite Off-Road haven and back with 10 to 15-gallons of gasoline filled jerry cans attached outboard, they will be able to fill the tank, drive to and from, and still receive ~ 30 mpg on the all-highway portion of their drive. Hmmm, 10 to 13 mpg or 30 mpg to cover 600-miles on and given weekend?

[​IMG]

Just wait until I complete the YouTube for even more details of its on-road and off-road capability. As a hint, imagine what a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon with an EcoDiesel that provides upwards of 250 lb-ft. of torque at just above idle all the way to its peak 442 lb-ft. at just 1,400 RPM working through a low speed transfer case providing a rock crawling final of 77:1, the sway bar disconnect and lockers engaged - both from within the Wrangler's cab – and 21 psi in the highly regarded BF Goodrich 255/75 R17 KO2s all-terrain tires can do. Traversing 35-degree rock walls was child's play all the while I was pretty much scared $***less and thanking my lucky stars that the seat belts held me snugly in place. Stay tuned...

#Jeep #Wrangler #WranglerEcoDiesel

BillLin, wxman and Jay like this.
  2. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

I remember reading a magazine article many years ago that quoted the late '70s Saab 900 - the one that looks like an airplane with its wings removed - as having a drag coefficient of 0.46. Saab says it's 0.42.
    Late '80s Ford Crown Vic was 0.45, and the old Beetle was 0.48, I believe. Drag coefficient is only part of the picture. The other major factor is frontal area. The Jeep has that with the width and height and fat tires. Definitely want to keep this one at or under 50mph to keep drag losses from getting silly.

45mpg from a Wrangler really makes a compelling argument for the EcoDiesel.

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'll bet if they strap Granny in her rocking chair on the top of this rig, they could
    get that 0.464 even higher. I'm sure some owners will do that.

BillLin, Jay and xcel like this.
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I would like to see a FE comparison between this new EcoDiesel and the gas Pentastar V6. Especially in the Grand Cherokee.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  5. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Mazda bragged about your (and my) 1981 GLC's CD of 0.44, which was an improvement over many other cars of the day, including the previous generation GLC's 0.49. Trucks can be much higher.

BillLin, EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Some aero hub cabs would clean that CD right up.

08EscapeHybrid, BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Does the 2.8 4Cyl Duramax stack up? I love the idea of 4cyl diesel over a 6cyl

8. xcel

Hi George:

The 2.8L Duramax I4 in the Colorado/Canyon never had what the 2nd and now 3rd gen EcoDiesel in terms of power, torque and especially efficiency. The new 3.0L I6 Duramax currently available in the Silverado and Sierra LD pickups may but GM has nothing like a Jeep Wrangler to put it into?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  9. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

GM has the ZR2 Bison which is the most capable off-road you can buy. I’ve been watching a lot of tests and the majority take the bison over the rubicon gladiator. It’s about $10,000 cheaper and you get more in terms of off-road capability from the factory. I wish it had more efficiency though. You would think a four-cylinder diesel would be more efficient than a six cylinder but I not in this case.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  10. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Is that a truly fair comparison, George? Smells like an after-market enhanced vehicle against factory... Only thing factory about the ZR2 Bison is the Chevy dealership you can order it through. I'd like to see a shorter wheelbase Jeep with the EcoDiesel competing in rock crawling and other low-speed off-roading.

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com...evrolet-colorado-zr2-bison-comparison-review/

"Whereas the Jeep Gladiator sticks to a proven formula set out time and again by its brother, the Wrangler, Chevrolet took a completely outside-the-box approach to make the ZR2 Bison a reality. Collaborating with American Expedition Vehicles, an authority in (ironically) upfitting Jeep and Ram vehicles with top-shelf go-anywhere kit, Chevrolet took the already robust capabilities of the Colorado ZR2 to uncharted levels. The result of which is the first vehicle of its kind: a truck finished by a third party that can be ordered from Chevy directly, and delivered to a local dealership."

xcel likes this.
  11. xcel

Hi George:

I spoke with a number of Journalists that actually do professional level rock crawling and off-roading while at the launch about the Wranglers main competitor(s). The Pickups. I was amazed at the level of knowledge they were providing about a subject I know very little about. Those pickups included the Bison, Raptor, and Rebel... The Wranglers superior breakover, approach, and departure angles, its superior axles and differential, and this new 442 lb-ft of torque motor just bury every vehicle in that comparison. To a tee, none of these off-road pros would even think of a lifted pickup in this comparison.

2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel

[​IMG]
    In its element.​

However, one very prominent journalist told me that the Rubicon he was driving retailed out at almost $60k. At that price, he said he would purchase the Raptor for all of its other attributes despite having its @$$ handed to it when doing seriously demanding low speed off-road rock crawling.

Wayne

08EscapeHybrid and BillLin like this.
  12. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

The Bison wins in most areas especially price. There are pros and cons on both so it depends on what maters to you. I also like the looks of the Bison over the Gladiators too. The Bison also has a better Suspension and feels better on or off road. The extra boron steel armor is a major plus Just smash and crawl threw things with it. My local dealer has 4 in stock and it's 10g less then Gladiator Rubicon. Once the diesel is out maybe 15g more?? Off the show room floor the Bison is amazing for the price! If your going to build a super off roader and go beyond stock, then you would go with the Jeep and not a Gladiator anyway but the 2DR to build up and put in much more $$$$ to do it.

13. xcel

Hi George:

Roman was the journalist that told me he would purchase a Raptor over the Wrangler Rubicon. Their test was between a Gladiator Rubicon and Bison, not a Wrangler Rubicon. Two different animals. He did tell me the Wrangler EcoDiesels extra 400 lbs is felt and he wishes there was a way around that.

You normally would not take a pickup on a rock crawling run and there is a reason why you see so many Jeeps in the heavy rock stuff. At the MAMA Spring Rally in 2016 or maybe 2017, I personally saw a Raptor get tangled up on a 25 degree dirt slope with deep ruts and had to back down. A std. Wrangler laughs at that kind of stuff and did immediately afterwards. A Wrangler Rubicon with the EcoDiesel, std. 32" K02s, DANA 44 solid axles, sway bar disconnects, lockers, and the overall 77:1 ratio would easily climb something more than twice as steep without getting hung up and would not be working to hard while doing it.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  14. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I was comparing the 2 trucks in my first post up there when I first mentioned it.

15. xcel

Hi George:

Sorry about that and I did not know. I have not driven either the Gladiator or the Bison pickups, only the Wrangler.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  16. xcel

Hi All:

Now that we have discussed and experienced some of the incredible off-road capability, how about the everyday driving experience on the road where most miles will accumulate? That brings us inside.

2020 Jeep Sahara w/ the EcoDiesel

[​IMG]
    Where do you want to go today? Anywhere as this one will get you there.​

From the profile, it looks like any Jeep we have seen with sharp edges, short overhangs, and high ground clearance - 10/10.8 inches on the Sahara/Rubicon respectively. Suspension of 6.9" and 8.9" of travel up front and outback respectively provides a softer ride than I remember from past gen Wranglers so at least the first few inches of all that wheel travel are surely tuned soft. Braking is handled by rather large rotors of 12.9 x 1.1-inch vented discs upfront 13.4 x .55-inch solid discs out back. Those large brakes are necessary as the Jeep Wrangler in Sahara/Rubicon trim weigh in at 4,737 lbs and 4,862 lbs respectively.

The 2020 Jeep Wrangler with the EcoDiesel is tow rated at just 3,500 lbs, the same as the 3.6L Pentastar. The Gladiator pickup with the same drivetrain is rated to tow 5k lbs while the 3.0L EcoDiesel equipped RAM 1500 is rated to tow up to 12,560 lbs. The Wrangler w/ the EcoDiesel most certainly could tow 5k or more as the drivetrain is massively oversized for just 3,500 lbs behind. I did not receive a good answer as to why but I suspect it has to do with the high CG. My guess anyway?

As discussed previously, below 65 mph while the cabin is buttoned up, you can have a normal conversation inside without raising your voice or straining to hear. I was amazed actually. When the windows are down, doors and roof are pulled, now we are in an entirely different environment. Meaning noisy as expected. The EcoDiesel has the std. Diesel clatter - adding to the auditory experience imho - but wind noise above 40 mph is going to have you wishing for an enclosed environment after just a few miles.

2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Interior

[​IMG]
    Jeep window lift controls are in the lower center console.​

The Convenience features are over the top. As in I would not expect to be afforded the award winning Uconnect NAV system with 8.4-in. display plus nine Alpine speakers with all-weather subwoofer and 552-watt amplifier. The 8.4” display is optional but the entire system adds a wow factor all its own.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Comfortable leather midsize SUV front and rear seat surfaces. Rear seat knee room with the front seat adjusted for my large frame.​

Do you need power? Damn!

[​IMG]

Auxiliary power, 115-volt outlet, Aux and USB port in center console, a 12-volt outlet in the instrument panel and cargo area plus two charge only USB ports and a 115V outlet in the back of the center console.

And after you have muddied up your interior, you can remove the carpet and drain plugs and wash it out with a hose. Gently with little overspray of course.

It is no high-end sport sedan as far as handling, road holding, and low NVH but can be equipped to be both comfortable and is feature packed for the long road ahead.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  17. xcel

Hi All:

Moving to the Rubicon, the interior expands with what I thought may have been a plastic or anodized aluminum dash faceplate vs the softouch fascia in the Sahara. I never touched it. Stupid me. A Red Rubicon with the red fascia would look great. The red dash interior with a yellow exterior? I did not think that worked very well.

2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Interior

[​IMG]

And of course, the Rubicon controls including a pushbutton sway bar disconnect, toggle lockers, and 4WD H-L control lever.

[​IMG]

All-in, the Jeep Wrangler lineup is no slouch when it comes to high end interiors. I would take this over anything offered in the GM, Ford, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota pickup lineup.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  18. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I wounder why the tow rating drops with the diesel gladiator because with the Penstar motor, it's rated for 7000 lbs?

19. xcel

Hi George:

The questions surrounding the Wrangler and the Gladiator's tow cap have a number of journalists in this realm scratching their heads. I heard from at least four that the Wrangler could tow more and one told me the Gladiator could too???

Wayne

20. xcel

Jeep Wrangler Earns a 2020 ALG Residual Value Award

Jeep's Wrangler captured its third straight honor in the 2020 Residual Value Awards from ALG. The Jeep Wrangler, which recently added a new 3.0L EcoDiesel engine to its powertrain stable, took home its third consecutive ALG Residual Value Award in the Off-road Utility segment.

2020 Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel

[​IMG]

The ALG Residual Value Award for the Off-road Utility segment reveals that it does hold its value.

The ALG Residual Value Awards (RVA) recognize vehicles in 27 segments that are projected to hold the highest percentage of their Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) after a three-year period, an important consideration for car buyers when assessing the total cost of ownership for a particular vehicle. This year's recipients have shown strong value in their competitive segments and were chosen from all 2020 model-year vehicles on sale in the United States in the Premium and Mainstream segments.

The Jeep Wrangler delivers unmatched off-road capability and is produced with more than seven decades of 4x4 experience. Outside of the all-new EcoDiesel Powertrain option detailed above, additional drivetrain options include the following:
    • 3.6L Pentastar V-6 w/ stop-start (ESS)
    • 3.6L Pentastar V6 e-Torque mild-hybrid
    • Turbocharged 2.0L I4 w/ stop-start (ESS)
    • Turbocharged 2.0L I4 e-Torque mild-hybrid
    It continues as a body-on-frame design, front and rear five-link suspension system, solid axles, electronic lockers and is one of the few SUVs to offer a six-speed manual transmission in addition to its available eight-speed automatic.

Wayne