Hyundai’s Santa Cruz Receives the Greenlight

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 13, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] From the floor of the 2015 Detroit Auto Show to today, this one has been a long time coming.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – November 13, 2019

Santa Cruz Concept

[​IMG]

At the 2015 Detroit International Auto Show, Hyundai revealed its Santa Cruz Pickup Truck Concept designed for a new generation of buyers.

Hyundai Santa Cruz To Be Built in Montgomery

Hyundai just announced that the Santa Cruz compact pickup will join the Santa Fe SUV and the Sonata and Elantra sedans at Hyundai’s U.S. automotive assembly plant in Montgomery, starting in 2021. The Santa Cruz was introduced as a concept at the 2015 North American International Auto Show in Detroit as described above.

The plant will require a $410 million expansion to support the addition of the vehicle. This includes additional space in the stamping, welding and parts processing areas of the manufacturing complex. Direct employment will increase by 200 jobs and local suppliers and logistics companies who support HMMA are projected to employ an additional 1,000 people in Montgomery and the River Region.

The Santa Cruz was designed with an upright, hexagonal grille, dual lens-free, honeycombed headlamp projectors, and LED fogs. The side profile is highlighted by oversized wheels.

For ease of access to the rear seats, Santa Cruz features rear suicide doors which integrate seamlessly with the front door design. The wheel arches, roof, and bed rails offer convenient tie-down cleats for securing cargo of all shapes and sizes.

[​IMG]

Out back, the expandable bed can be easily reconfigured for longer cargo, using a unique drawer-like sliding function. When fully extended, the bed length is similar to a mid-size pickup, providing the ability to carry much more than its compact footprint would suggest.

What was not revealed was if a 2.0L turbo diesel will be located under the hood. I doubt it and expect a std. 1.6L GDI-T instead. For good reason actually given the increase in gas engine thermodynamic efficiency over the past 5-years.

TheStepChild and BillLin like this.
  2. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

They'll likely drop in the 2.5L Theta III with 8 speed automatic. Considering the 2.5 hits higher EPA numbers in the Sonata than the 1.6T, and knowing the 2.5 will be the volume engine for the next-gen Tucson, I think it will be the 2.5 in most cases.
    Hyundai style has changed so much in the last five years, that the futuristic concept now looks to be a generation behind. They will almost certainly glue the "Storm Trooper With Braces" front end from the Palisade onto their new open bed model.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Storm Trooper With Braces ! I like it.

4. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Wish the diesel would have come here.

5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I like this idea.

xcel likes this.
  6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

+1 for the expandable bed.
    +1 for the suicide doors (and seating for 5?)
    +1 for the 2.5 theta iii + 8 speed auto

mpg -- So we are looking at what? 25/28/33 ?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  7. I am happy to see this. I was ready to sign up to buy it at the show.

8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Surprisingly, .. the Santa Fe is reported to be a body on frame chassis, ... be that good or bad --

/maybe because the extendable be required it? .. maybe because it's going to be more off road capable?, ..

"What this means is that unlike the smaller unibody concepts the company has showcased before, these utes will be based on a ladder-frame chassis and will be built to handle a lot more abuse."
    https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...e-rough-tough-and-ladder-framed-ar186664.html

https://4wheeldriveguide.com/ladder-frame-vs-monocoque-suv-chassis-pros-and-cons/

9. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Carcus:

That is actually weird as I would not expect a Hyundai owner - any owner - to be going deep off road.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  10. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I'd guess most trail rated Jeeps will never see off-pavement driving...

Trollbait and xcel like this.
  11. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Could be the 'Australia/Southeast Asia/rest of world' market needs the ruggedness -- and US just kind of gets to ride along with the design.

/ -- the Santa Cruz looks pretty good, .. could have a solid universal appeal. I think the females will consider this a viable alternative to a CUV. It might have the same cross-sexual appeal as a jeep.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    xcel and BillLin like this.