2020 Toyota Prius Receives Apple CarPlay… Should It Receive Your $s?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Oct 29, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Android Auto continues to be MIA. :(

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – October 22, 2019

2020 Toyota Prius LE

[​IMG]

The 2020 Toyota Prius is one of the world’s best-selling hybrids despite an ever-growing list of somewhat efficient models from other manufacturers that have stolen the Prius’ halo over the past 5 years. Or the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid which clearly owns the Toyota Hybrid sales crown.

2019 YTD U.S. Toyota Hybrid Sales Leaders Through September

RAV4 Hybrid - 62,881, up 70 percent over the 36,995 sold through the same period of 2018
    Prius - 50,258, down 27.1 percent below the 68,295 sold through the same period of 2018
    Camry Hybrid - 20,393, up 16.6 percent over the 17,490 sold through the same period of 2018
    Highlander Hybrid - 13,077, up 19.4 percent over the 10,954 sold through the same period of 2018
    Lexus RX Hybrid - 11,117, up 6.5 percent over the 10,434 sold through the same period of 2018
    Corolla Hybrid - 11,050

In the Prius’ corner, its world class leading L Eco trim at 58/53/56 mpgUS city/highway/combined EPA rating - is clearly more efficient than anything anyone offers including Hyundai’s 57/59/58 mpgUS city/highway/combined rated Ioniq Blue.

Moving on, the question on how did the LE trim (54/50/52 mpg city/highway/combined) receive a significantly lower EPA rating than the L Eco’s (58/53/56 mpgUS city/highway/combined) when it weighs just 30 lbs. more and has a Cd that changes by just a fraction of a percent due to the included rear wiper? It all comes down to how the OEMs decide to separate their top trims from their bottom ones with the EPA. Heavier 17” alloys with less efficient tires – read higher RRc - and another 100 to 150 pounds of features will definitely reduce efficiency. 30 pounds and a rear wiper? No way will that knock off 4 mpg city and 3 mpg highway. It simply will not.

Like the Ioniq SEL vs Blue – I always recommend the SEL despite the fact it weighs 35 more lbs as the Blue trim is essentially the same vehicle with more safety equipment regardless of its 55/54 mpg city/highway rating vs the Blue’s 57/59 mpg city/highway rating. The real-world difference is not measurable.

America's Most Efficient Hybrids - Trim Breakouts

[​IMG]
    2020 Toyota Prius LE/XLE/Limited -- 2020 Toyota Prius L Eco || 2019 Hyundai Ioniq SEL/Limited -- 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Blue​

Moving to the 2020 Toyota Prius L Eco vs LE trim, do not believe for a second that the Eco is 7.7 percent more efficient, it is not.

2020 Toyota Prius Trim Pricing
    • L Eco - $24,200 (+$475 over 2019 MY)
    • LE - $25,410 (+$525 over 2019 MY)
    • XLE - 28,250 (+$525 over 2019 MY)
    • Limited - $32,375 (+$780 over 2019 MY)
    • LE AWD-e - $26,810 (+$525 over 2019 MY)
    • XLE AWD-e - $29,250 (+$525 over 2019 MY)
    Differentiating the LE from L Eco trims, the LE includes the following over and above or in lieu of the L Eco trim:
    • Seatback pockets
    • Intermittent rear window wiper
    • Temp Mini Spare - Reduces Cargo volume to 24.6 (cu. ft.) vs the Eco's 27.4 (cu. ft.)
    • Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) w/ Rear CrossTraffic Alert (RCTA)
    • Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS) w/ Intelligent Parking Assist (IPA)
    • Curb weight (lb.) 3,040 lbs., up 30 lbs over thee Eco trim.
    • P195/65/R15 Dunlop Enasave vs Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
    Is that list of included equipment worth $1,210? Remember I spent $239 for the mini-spare kit incl. the jack. If you have ever had a flat, the Inflator kit is not much more than a hope and a prayer vs the Temp mini-spare that will get you to a tire shop wherever you are other than maybe on the Dalton Highway somewhere between Fairbanks and Deadhorse, AK. You are screwed either way in that case. ;)

The 2018 Hyundai Elantra Eco’s purchase also provided me with over 150k miles of BSM and RCTA experience. I do not like to drive a vehicle without those safety features despite so many vehicles without today. In other words, the LE trim with RCTA and BSM is worth more than any minor price increase attached.

If you live in an area that snows, that rear wiper addition will having you secretly saying thank you, I am so glad I chose the LE vs L Eco.

Clearance sonar? We have that on our 17 Sonata Hybrid Limited and I wish all cars had them std.

So is the LE worth $1,210 more than the L Eco? Efficiency is for all intents and purposes the same so yes, the LE would be my choice over the L Eco for a low-cost super fuel saver.

2020 Toyota Prius LE Interior

[​IMG]

All 2020 Prius’ now come equipped with standard Toyota Safety Connect and upgraded audio with a 7” touch-screen central display, AM/FM CD player, 6 speakers, aux jack, one USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity up front and two 2.1-amp USB charge ports out back, advanced voice recognition, Bluetooth hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming, Siri Eyes Free, and an integrated rear backup camera display. More importantly, Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa are also now std. Where is Android Auto you say??? I would still consider a serious audio upgrade including a new Android Auto Head Unit, some sound treatment to the doors and rear hatch, and new speakers front and rear (Upgrading the Prius, Prius v, and Prius Prime Head Units with a Kenwood DMX7706S). The Prius’ audio and road noise intrusion are still bad and need to be addressed for a long-term owner’s peace of mind imho.

2020 Toyota Prius Safety

All 2020 Prius’ including the Prius AWD-e arrive with Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) standard. Using millimeter-wave radar and a monocular camera sensor to help detect a pedestrian, a vehicle, lane markers and headlights in the surrounding area, TSS-P provides a comprehensive bundle of active safety features including: Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/ PD), Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/ SA), Automatic High Beams (AHB), and Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC). That last feature is still by far the best in the business in my experience.

Previously, Safety Connect was available only on the top Limited trim. The system is now std, across the lineup and includes Emergency Assistance, Stolen Vehicle Locator, Roadside Assistance and Automatic Collision Notification, all with a complimentary three-year trial subscription.

2020 Toyota Prius Chassis

The fourth-generation Prius is built around the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA), a platform that integrates a high-strength body structure, independent multi-link rear suspension and a low center of gravity. TNGA provides drivers with the best ride and handling and lowest NVH of any Prius ever built.

Hot-stamped and high tensile steels are used throughout the body while aluminum components, including the hood, rear doorframes, and brake calipers, help keep weight down. Innovative fastening methods, including laser screw welding and advanced adhesives, contribute to structural strength.

2020 Toyota Prius Drivetrain

The 4th gen Prius and its Hybrid Synergy Drive system combines the heavily atkinsonized and 43+ percent thermodynamically efficient 1.8L I4 gas engine with two motor-generators through an electronically controlled planetary-type continuously variable transmission (CVT) for propulsion.

2016 – 2020 Toyota Prius Engine

[​IMG]

The Brake System uses primarily electric regenerative braking with the vehicle’s hydraulic brakes to slow and stop the vehicle.

All Prius FWD models use a Li-Ion battery, while the AWD-e versions employ the old school Ni-MH battery. The Prius XLE and AWD-e features upgraded SofTex-trimmed, heated front seats as standard. I have not yet experienced the upgraded SoftTex but of all the leather seats I have been in, I actually like the current Toyota SoftTex seating surface vs. many others stiffness.

The Prius was designed with an ultra-low 0.24 Cd thanks in part to the flat aero covered under-body panel and smooth Prius smooth sloped profile. An automatic grille shutter closes when airflow to the radiator is not needed. Even the A/C system uses a quiet and hyper efficient electric compressor to maximize efficiency. While ensuring passenger comfort, the Smart-flow (S-FLOW) mode directs airflow only to front seat occupants.

Standard Bi-LED headlamps and LED rear combination lamps not only provide better light than halogens, they reduce energy consumption and have a longer service life. A full-width glass panel beneath the rear spoiler aids rearward visibility while also serving as a distinctive Prius design feature. The Prime PHEVs “dual wave” rear window is where rearward visibility really improves however.

The FWD models offer up to 65.5 cu. ft. of cargo space with the rear seatbacks folded down. The Prius AWD-e models offer 62.7 cu. ft. of space, the small difference due to accommodating the AWD-e system.

AWD-e Electrifies Traction - The “e” in AWD-e is the key to offering the extra grip of all-wheel drive while still sipping fuel. The automatic system does not require a center differential or other torque-apportioning device, nor does it need a front-to-rear driveshaft. Instead, the “e” in AWD-e stands for electronic.

An independent electric, magnet-less rear motor (a Toyota first) powers the rear wheels away from a stop up to 6 mph, and then, when conditions demand, at speeds up to 43 mph. By recognizing when all-wheel-drive is not needed, this intelligent on-demand system runs in front-wheel drive as much as possible to maximize fuel economy.

2020 Toyota Prius Trim Naming

The Prius debuted with revised styling for 2019 including all-black interiors and a rear hatch with horizontal lighting vs the mostly vertical from 2016 – 2018. The entire Toyota family trim strategy includes L, LE, XLE and Limited. The Prius was changed to align vs. the 2, 2 Eco, 3, 3 Touring, 4 and 4 Touring mess of the 16 – 18s. And thus the 2020 Prius continues with the L Eco, LE, XLE and Limited grades for FWD and LE and XLE AWD-e models. The Supersonic Red and Electric Storm Blue colors that debuted for 2019 also continue for 2020.

All Prius models share interior features including the familiar central screen interface. The 4.2-in. color Dual Multi-Information Display with customizable screens includes Energy Monitor, Hybrid System Indicator and Eco Score, Eco Savings Record, Drive Monitor, Eco Wallet, Eco Diary, Climate Control, driver support systems, audio system content, and navigation system content. On AWD-e models, the display adds an AWD-e system indicator.

The XLE adds 17” alloys (15-in. on XLE AWD-e), SofTex-trimmed heated tilt/telescopic steering wheel, SofTex-trimmed seats including 8-way power and heated front seats, 3-door Smart Key system, and Qi wireless phone charging tray that accommodates larger phones.

The Prius Limited features an Adaptive Front Lighting System with auto-leveling headlamps; Toyota Premium JBL Audio with navigation (both totally suck by the way) and an 11.6-in. touch-screen display. A standard Color Head-Up Display (HUD) shows the speedometer and Hybrid System Indicator in the driver’s line of sight.

2020 Toyota Prius LE

[​IMG]

2020 Toyota Prius Warranty

Toyota’s 3-year/36,000 mile basic new-vehicle warranty applies to all components other than normal wear and maintenance items. A 60-month warranty covers the powertrain for 60,000 miles and against corrosion with no mileage limitation. The Hybrid battery now includes 10 years from date of first use/150,000 miles, whichever comes first warranty. The rest of the hybrid-related components, including the battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The Prius arrives with ToyotaCare, a plan covering normal factory-scheduled maintenance for two years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. For Prius, the complimentary 24-hour roadside assistance is extended to three years (over the standard two years on other models) and unlimited mileage.

The 2020 Toyota Prius LE has an MSRP of $26,365 incl. the $955 D&H and discounts account to more than $750 yielding a $25,500 purchase + TTL.

The 2019 on the other hand can be found for ~ $4,500 less than their own MSRP. An LE for $21,500 + TTL does not sound too bad to me for the loss of Toyota Safety Connect, two 2.1-amp USB ports in back, and the shorter HEV pack warranty.

And then there is the new for 2020 5-seat Toyota Prius Prime LE that retails for $28,705 incl. the $935 D&H. Currently Toyota has a $1.5k rebate attached, dealer discounts of ~ $1,500 are not abnormal, the Federal tax credit of $4,502 for those that qualify, and a CA state Tax Rebate of $1,500 brings the excellent 2020 Prius Prime LE down to $19,703 + TTL. Why bother with the standard non-Plug-in 2020 Prius when a 2020 Prius Prime can save you over $5,800 for an even more capable vehicle. Even if you live in a state without a $1,500 rebate, is $4,300 more in your pocket not enough? ;)

Toyota Prius Prime

[​IMG]
    The smart money is on Prime.​

BillLin likes this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I sent in a TrueCar quote request for a 2020 Prius Prime LE and received two back. The best came from a dealership about 15-miles away here in Southern California with a $2,003 discount off MSRP plus the current $1,500 Toyota Rebate.

[​IMG]

Base MSRP: $27,600

Factory Installed Options: + $363 (carpeted F, R and Cargo mats + $104 of additional crap)
    Freight Delivery Charge: + $930

Total MSRP: $28,893

Guaranteed Savings

Certified Dealer Discount: - $2,003
    2020 Toyota Prius Prime Factory Cash Back: - $1,500 (EXPIRES: 11/03/2019)

Total Guaranteed Savings: - $3,503

Subtotal before Dealer Fees & Accessories: $25,390
    Dealer Fees & Accessories: + $85
    Dealer Document Preparation Charge: + $85

Total Dealer Fees & Accessories: $25,475

Take $6,002 off for the $4,502 Fed Tax Credit and $1,500 State Tax rebate for a $19,475 price + TTL out the door price. Most should really consider a 2020 Prime LE despite losing 4.8 cu. ft. of cargo volume (LE Eco at 24.6 cu. ft. vs Prime LE at 19.8 cu. ft.) and the temp mini spare from the 2019 or 2020 Prius LE. A Prime Prime LE owner gains heated front seats and a SofTex wheel vs the trash poly wheel on the base Prius LE in the process.

Wayne