Honda's 2020 CR-V Goes Hybrid!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Oct 25, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] September sales were tough but Honda’s CR-V continues to lead the brands sales results going forward. And now with a hybrid offering!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – October 3, 2019

2020 Honda CR-V AWD Hybrid

[​IMG]

In September, Honda sales fell 14.1 percent vs Sept. of 2018 However that was based on two fewer selling days and year to date, the iconic brand sales are essentially flat.

The CR-V posted U.S. sales of 25,904 vehicles, down 15.3 percent from the 30,587 sold in Sept. of 2018. Again, with two fewer selling days. YTD CR-V sales reached 280,739, up 1.6 percent over the 277,621 sold in 2018 through the same period.

The CR-Vs chief rival, Toyota’s RAV4, achieved YTD of 324,622 so Honda has a way to go to catch up. Of those 324,622 RAV4s sold, 62,881 or 19.4 percent were RAV4 AWD Hybrids. The following Honda announcement may be the exact way to catch up.

For the 2020 MY, Honda’s CR-V will be released to the U.S. public in early 2020 as a new U.S.-Built - Greensburg, Indiana - Hybrid variant! With refreshed styling, the 2020 CR-V Hybrid will be the brands first electrified SUV in America, joining the Accord Hybrid and Insight as the third electrified Honda manufactured in the U.S. Honda's Russells Point, Ohio, plant will manufacture the CR-V Hybrid's two-motor power unit, and the company's Anna, Ohio, engine plant will produce its 2.0L I4.

The refreshed 2020 CR-V includes new front and rear styling, re-designed wheels and standard Honda Sensing safety technology on all trims.

U.S. sales of electrified Honda vehicles are on track for a third consecutive year of growth. For the first eight months of 2019, sales of Accord Hybrid, Insight and Clarity have reached 42,270 combined sales, propelling Honda electrified vehicle sales to year-over-year gains of 67.9 percent. In 2018, Honda set a new record of 49,914 electrified vehicle sales in the U.S., which were nearly double 2017 results.

2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Drivetrain

The 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid uses the Accord Hybrid’s heavily Atkinsonized 2.0L I4 mated with the brands two-motor hybrid drivetrain.

The intelligent power unit (IPU) including the hybrid battery pack and its control systems is mounted under the cargo floor allowing the new CR-V Hybrid to retain possibly the exact same cargo volume including a 60/40 split rear seatback with a flat load floor. Peak total system horsepower is 212, up from 190 HP on the CR-V, along with an anticipated 50 percent increase in city fuel economy to 42 mpgUS city compared to the current CR-V.

Following the RAV4 AWD Hybrids lead, the CR-V Hybrid will be AWD. When traction is low, an electronic clutch activates, sending power from a rear mounted electric motor to the rear wheels. Detailed specifications on the new CR-V Hybrid, including full EPA ratings will be provided closer to on-sale timing early in 2020.

2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Interior

[​IMG]

Exterior styling updates to the 2020 Honda CR-V include new openings for the fog lights and the chrome grille is more pronounced. CR-V Hybrid models in the same trims receive new bar-type fog lights with five LEDs.

Out back, all 2020 CR-Vs feature new dark-tinted taillights and a new dark chrome treatment for the garnish below the rear glass and darker tinted rear window. CR-V Hybrid Touring trims receive a unique rear bumper and hidden tailpipe.

From the profile, the Hybrid will receive new 18” dark gray and machined finished alloys.

Three new exterior colors are available for 2020: Sonic Gray Pearl and Radiant Red Metallic on Hybrid models.

Inside, the new CR-V Hybrid is a unique interior trim. Most apparent is a new push-button gear selector flanked by three switches for Econ, Sport or EV mode. I am not sure why Honda moved into this direction? They had extreme pushback on the no knobs radio which they moved to one knob for volume, and now 2 knobs for both volume and tuning on all their models. Why they moved to buttons to save a few dollars could back fire.

[​IMG]

Econ mode alters throttle inputs while Sport enhances. EV Mode allows the CR-V Hybrid to operate under electric-only power when the hybrid battery has a sufficient charge.

The instrument panel is unique featuring a display for power/charge status, as well as a driver-selectable display for power distribution and regeneration. CR-V Hybrid models also receive deceleration selector paddles on the steering wheel. By clicking the left paddle, drivers can increase the amount of regenerative braking from the hybrid system's electric motor when decelerating.

All 2020 Honda CR-V models and trims benefit from a redesigned center console bin that is easier to use and offers more flexible storage options while CR-V Touring trims now come standard with Qi-compatible wireless cell phone charging. Additional in-vehicle technology includes a color TFT driver-information interface (DII) center meter display, an available 7” touchscreen Display Audio interface with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration, and an available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System. Also available are remote engine start, dual-zone climate control, an Electric Parking Brake (EPB), rear USB charging ports, front passenger seat with 4-way power adjustment, driver's seat with 8-way power adjustment and 4-way power lumbar support, and heated front seats. The CR-V hybrid will continue to offer top-class interior space with legendary Honda versatility.

2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Safety

The Honda CR-V Hybrid arrives with standard Honda Sensing suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies, including:
    • Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) with Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and pedestrian sensing capability
    • Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) with Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
    • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with low-speed follow ß Not Stop and restart again???
    • Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS)
    • Optional Blind spot information (BSI)
    • Optional Rear Cross Traffic Monitor (CTM)
    • Optional Auto High Beam headlights
    CR-V Hybrid include yet another Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (AVAS) designed to increase awareness by pedestrians when travelling under electric-only power. A speaker mounted in the front bumper generates a distinct audible alert that varies in volume depending on vehicle speed and is easily noticeable to pedestrians, but nearly inaudible to the driver or passengers under most circumstances.

The 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid also incorporates Honda's next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure, helping CR-V targeting a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score and TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).

2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid

[​IMG]
    A lot of cargo volume for sure!​

2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Chassis

The 2020 Honda Hybrid uses a MacPherson strut up front and rear multi-link suspension out back, tuned low-friction shocks, a hollow front and solid rear stabilizer bar. Dual-pinion, variable ratio Electric Power Steering (EPS) also contributes to the CR-V's direct and satisfying steering feel. For CR-V Hybrid, an electronic servo brake pedal maintains a firm and linear brake feel like its non-hybrid sibling.

Another we cannot wait for and expect to hear more from the floor of the LAAS next month. :)

rhwinger, Carcus and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

If this is anywhere near as good as the RAV4 hybrid , it will be a winner. My friend Linda has the current-gen RAV4 hybrid , I drove it , it's excellent.

xcel, Carcus and BillLin like this.
  3. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Honda recently announce all europe sales will be "electrified" in just a couple of years (2022)! My understanding is that Honda's 2 motor setup + IPU allows for the addition of a PHEV option in future models with very little change in overall design. This seems to be the plan -- all models hybrid and eventually plug-in hybrid.

/hopefully, the hybrid (eventually PHEV) CR-V retains the 8.2 inches ground clearance(respectable) and 1,500 lb towing capacity(barely acceptable).
    //arguably, the best looking crossover on the road today

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    rhwinger and BillLin like this.
  4. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I think the RAV4 is much better looking personally.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

I assume it's very close to the European model and unfortunately that's not nearly as efficient as the RAV4. Especially the AWD version. In tests about 20% less efficient.
    I hope they'll offer Hybrid/PHEV tech for future models more based on the latest Accord/Insight hybrid models.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  6. xcel

Hi Edwin:

The Honda Hybrid system is not as elegant – read low NVH - or as efficient as the Toyota HSD.

In Honda’s corner however, the CR-V a more comfortable driver ergonomics, far better infotainment with std. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto including much nicer sounding audio, and it is significantly larger.
    • 2019 Honda CR-V Passenger/Cargo Volume (rear seat up): 105.9/39.2 cu. ft
    • 2019 Toyota RAV4 Passenger/Cargo Volume (rear seat up): 98.9/37.6 cu. ft.
    Carcus, when it comes to PHEVs, Honda is still way behind the curve and reacting to Toyota’s move albeit years behind. Especially with the RAV4 Hybrid and upcoming RAV4 PHEV. I now wonder when Hyundai will step up despite miniscule HEV and especially PHEV sales of the Sonata?

George, I have to agree with you on the exterior appearance. The RAV4 Hybrid looks like a rough and tough CUV. The CR-V looks like every other CUV. Inside, I give the CR-V that edge.

2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Interior

[​IMG]

2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Interior

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

... at an anticipated 42 mpg city, .. sounds like it could be pretty close to (even better than?) the RAV4 hybrid's EPA 41/38/40.

The Rav4 has a bit of a"tonka toy" look to me. Not sure that's going to be a big sellilng point to your typical Ms. crossover shopper

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    xcel and BillLin like this.
  8. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

As opposed to the boy racer buyers? I doubt that the surge in SUV/CUV sales can be attributed solely to the female gender.

xcel likes this.
  9. xcel

Hi Carcus:
    An Anticipated 42 mpg did not come from Honda by any means. From the reveal, this is what Honda Exec's stated:
    The current 2019 AWD CR-V has an EPA rating of 27/33/29 mpgUS city/hwy/combined. The city result coming up 50 percent places that result at 40 mpgUS. An excellent result indeed! The highway result however is not as clear. While the Accord earned a 48/47/48 rating for 2020, the CR-V is a heavy weight brick by comparison and I suspect it will arrive with a 36 to 37 mpg highway rating. Honda's 2-Motor Hybrid system is just not that good and the Honda Exec's would have probably touted the highway efficiency if it were to beat the RAV4 Hybrid from their own discussions. That is if the past is any indication of the future.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I know five women who have RAV4's. It's almost mandatory. I would credit(blame) women
    as being responsible for 70% of crossover/SUV purchase. I guess men buy some , too.
    I've never really understood the appeal.

RedylC94 and BillLin like this.
  11. xcel

Hi Edwin:

I just purchased a 19 Kona SEL for my son's wife two weeks ago. It is built on the Accent platform. She did not want a larger Elantra SEL for 20 percent less.

Marian wants a CUV too. Kona was fine but the Limited and Platinum come with the 7-speed DCT so I told her no way. She wants a RAV4 HEV or upcoming CRV HEV too. I am trying to keep her in her fully lux 17 Sonata Hybrid Limited with the Ultimate pkg. I could almost pick up a loaded Lexus ES 300h for what a RAV4 Hybrid Limited costs!

My mother wants another Prius v, far more practical, but Toyota no longer makes them. She is considering the RAV4 Hybrid as well as the upcoming CR-V Hybrid too?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  12. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Yeah. To me, the percentage seems even higher for CRVs here.

BillLin and xcel like this.