Has anybody seen the new Clarity yet?

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by jmelson, Oct 25, 2019.

1. jmelson

jmelson Well-Known Member

While getting an oil change, I noticed they have posters up for the new plug-in Clarity. Anybody seen one, test drive, or maybe bought one? With 170K miles on my 2009 Civic hybrid, I'm starting to think about the next car.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jon

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

The Clarity is pretty , but it's also bigger than I need or like a car to be.
    Plug-in range is nothing to get excited about. The Insight wins , IMHO.
    For a plug-in hybrid , it's AWFULLY hard to beat the Prius Prime.

BillLin likes this.
  3. jmelson

jmelson Well-Known Member

Yes, I've been looking at the Prime, also. I think with either of these, I could stay in the total electric range almost all the time around town.
    Anyway, my Civic hybrid got fixed, so I'll probably stay with that for a couple more years, and there might be something a lot better
    by that time.

Jon

BillLin likes this.
  4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jon:

Think of it as a very expensive Accord Hybrid. The PHEV has such a small gas tank that its range on any longer trip will drive you nuts.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  5. xcel

Hi Jon:

The 2020 will be arriving at dealerships tomorrow, Friday January 17, 2020, with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $33,400 + $955 D&H for the base model. The only addition was a different no ICE-On slow speed noise maker and slightly higher price due to an increase in D&H fees.

2019 and 2020 Honda Clarity PHEV-47 Pricing (MSRP)

Jan. 4, 2019 Pricing (D&H = $920)

$33,400 + $920 D&H = $34,320
    $36,600 + $920 D&H = $37,520

July 9, 2019 Pricing (D&H rose by $10 to $930)

$33,400 + $930 D&H = $34,330
    $36,600 + $930 D&H = $37,530

Jan. 16, 2020 (D&H = rose by $25 to $955)

$33,400 + $955 D&H = $34,355
    $36,600 + $930 D&H = $37,555

2020 Honda Clarity PHEV-47

[​IMG]

New for the 2020 model year is an updated Acoustic Vehicle Alert System (AVAS) that functions whenever the car is operating at low speeds on electric power only (unless in Park), enhancing awareness for pedestrians, bicyclists and other road users.

The 2020 Clarity PHEV is rated at 47 miles of all-electric driving range with a full charge from the 17 kWh traction battery. When running on the atkinsonized 103 hp and 99 lb-ft. of torque 1.5L I4, the Clarity PHEV is rated 44/40/42 (city/highway/combined) mpg. Combined power from the ICE and 181 hp and 232 lb-ft. of torque electric drivetrain is 212 hp.

From the 7-gal tank, owners will have ~ 294 miles of range on gasoline and with the 47-miles of AER, a rated 341-miles of total driving range is provided. Normal, Econ and Sport modes are included while a special HV mode that maintains the battery’s state of charge (SoC) can be used in all modes.

Clarity PHEV’s combined electric and gasoline while the 17-kWh pack provides the all-electric range. The onboard 6.6 kW L2 charger can charge the Clarity PHEV-47 from flat to full in 2.5 hours at 240 volts.

The 2020 Honda Clarity PHEV comes standard with a Display Audio including an 8” touchscreen w/ Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, pushbutton smart and keyless entry, heated front seats, rain-sensing wipers, and the Honda Sensing suite of safety and driver-assistive technologies. Clarity Touring adds perforated leather seats and a leather-wrapped steering wheel, navigation with charging infrastructure, an 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat with 2-position memory, and Ultrasuede interior trim. The Clarity PHEV qualifies for a federal tax rebate of up to $7,500 and various state rebates, including $1,000 in California where it’s also eligible for single-occupant HOV access.

If it would have had the Accord's 14.8 gallon tank, I would have considered one for myself. :(

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  6. litesong

litesong litesong

My 158,000 mile, 2008 Accent has some deficiencies, but hope it'll get to 250,000 miles & maybe some more. My good mechanic is nurturing it well, tho I didn't help Accent.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. litesong

litesong litesong

None of my cars are hybrid with such short gas tanks, but I know what you're talking about. Noted previously, Hyundai cars' have small gas tanks. I love to drive & while near low-priced gas stations outside my region, I get cheap gas. Since my tanks are short, I solve their lack, by taking gas cans with me. Problem disappears.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

At 55 MPH on secondary roads , the 7 gallon tank would last a long time. Probably longer than
    my bladder. If you need to do 1000 mile days on the Interstate , the Clarity isn't the best car for the job.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  9. litesong

litesong litesong

I went 917 miles in a day (actually, in 17 hours). Thirty years ago, I knew someone in a convoy, with radar detectors who traveled 1400 miles from Galveston, Texas to northern Wisconsin in less than 1 day. At times, they moved at 100MPH.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    BillLin likes this.
  10. xcel

Hi Edwin:

I unfortunately drive long distances all the time. A 500-mile day doing rideshare was not out of the ordinary and 1,000+ mile days is the norm when on a trek of any sort.

If the Clarity had a 14-gallon tank, I might even own one. With a 7-gallon tank, I cannot afford the time spent to refuel. More than twice as often than an Accord HEV for example.

[​IMG]

Wayne

litesong and BillLin like this.