2020 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax Turbo Diesel – A Record Setting 33 mpg Highway Rating!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Oct 18, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Another hyper efficient pickup truck turbo diesel enters the fray!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – July 25, 2019

2020 Chevrolet Silverado

[​IMG]
    The all-new 3.0L Duramax I6 Turbo Diesel can be found inside.​

The Duramax nameplate has proven itself to be one of the most durable turbo diesel offerings ever to be introduced in a GM or any other pickup. Key to maintaining the brands durable image, advanced material selection and engineering was pushed to its limit. The Duramax team have taken all they know and expanded upon it with the very latest design. Meet GM's latest super diesel.

The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4X2 when equipped with the all-new 277 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque, 3.0L I6 turbo-diesel, provides owners with a record setting 23/33 mpg city/highway rating! 4WD reduces that number to 23/29 mpg city/highway.

Taking a page out of Cummins playbook, GM transitioned to an I6 block eliminating not only more complex construction but an entire cam shaft and all the efficiency robbing ancillary hardware associated with it.

The all-new 3.0L Duramax begins with iron cylinder liners within an aluminum block, forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods and blended silicon/aluminum pistons for greater heat resistance and reduced expansion. It also features an all-new active thermal management system which warms up key moving components far faster.

A driver-selectable stop/start shuts off the engine at stoplights and certain other stop-and-go situations and automatically restarts when the driver takes his or her foot off the brake.

The 3.0L I6 turbo diesel is paired with GMs famed Hydra-Matic 10L80 10-speed AT with an overall larger ratio spread to reduce highway RPMs and provide high power launches with less engine strain.

The 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel is available on the LT, RST, LTZ and High Country trims. For the LTZ and High Country, the 3.0L Diesel is a $2,495 option. For the LT and RST, it is a $3,890 increase over a 2.7L Turbo I4.

The all-new 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel engine

[​IMG]
    Impressive specs indeed!​

For more on the all-new 2019/2020 Silverado, consider the following:
    While we have found EPA figures nothing more than numbers on a page, the biggest question regarding the all-new Super Duramax is will it beat the upcoming 2020 RAM 1500 with its own updated 3rd gen Super EcoDiesel?

Jay, BillLin, seftonm and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

That is a remarkable EPA rating. I had to look up my 2002 Acura RSX EPA which is 24/33! Of course, I can get much better than that without trying very hard, but still it's a 2770lb car that makes 160hp and 140ft-lbs of torque and quite aero compared to this truck. I think inline 6 is the way to go for a turbo diesel. All the big long-haul semi engines that I've seen are inline 6.

xcel, wxman and BillLin like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I found this utube video that goes into quite a bit of detail about the engine technologies used on the 3.0L Duramax. Right off the bat there's a red flag regarding the oil pump drive. It's belt drive :eek:. And the expected life of the belt is 150,000 miles. And accessing the belt requires dropping the transmission :eek:, and removing the crank and oil pump pulleys. This definitely isn't the realm of the typical backyard mechanic. Now, Ram's 3.0L Ecodiesel uses belt drive for the cams, and I don't know what's involved in changing that belt, but I understand the reason for the belt drive vs chain. Chains stretch and valve timing deteriorates as they do. I have no idea why GM engineers thought a belt drive was necessary for the oil pump.

There are some other features that make me skittish about the long-term durability of the engine. For one, injector pressure is 2500 bar! (36,000psi!). Lots of neat tech here, and I hope it proves to be reliable as a rock, but I think I'd rather go with Ram's ecodiesel which has been around awhile.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  4. xcel

Hi Jay:

Oh S*&^! WTH did they need to put a damn belt in for the oil pump??? At 1:35, the engineer is explaining that the tranny will have to be backed out to service that belt at 150k miles. Not good. :(

Post injections to light off the DPF was std.

Good detail in the vid thanks to the design engineers on sight.

Wayne

Jay and BillLin like this.
  5. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Lol yea that "WET BELT" sounds super scary! Is every oil in the world that an idiot may use compatible with the rubber of that belt?? I can see it stretch and swell. I wish he asked why you went with this deign? I think a direct gear of some kind for the oil pump would be the best way! All to gain maybe a fraction more MPG?? There was also many great futures like that rotary coolant valve which looked plastic to me? Many failure point so I hope it lasts! At minimum I think you would need to do a major service of all the hoses and plastic cooling parts by 150k miles or risk cracks and major engine damage if no warnings before hitting the red on the gauge. What about all that emissions parts? I love it all IF it's reliable?

6. xcel

Hi George:

Belts are generally used as a quiet power transfer conduit. In this case however, for an oil pump??? I am sure there were a number of mechanical engineers involved in this process that must have thought this design is absolutely ridiculous?

Wayne

priusCpilot and BillLin like this.
  7. If belt life and recommend change is 150,000 that tells me at about 175,000 there will be a lot of broke down trucks. Most people don't change the oil when they're supposed to, or rotate the tires, or change an air filter, or.........

Jay, BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Yah, "they" will probably run the belt to failure, ... as explained in the video (3:05) "they" will get a warning light and will (probably) be able to stop without catastrophic failure of anything else.

Sounds like a half day or so to replace (?) .. so not a huge deal there.

The bad thing is this will also be when "they" get a def delete, egr bypass, performance upgrade tune etc..... (if it hadn't been done already).

... and then "we" get to welcome another black smoke belcher into the NOx smog choir.

/look at the craigslist prices (and amount of "delete" mods) on these high mileage diesel crew cab pickups. you'll be shocked

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Trollbait and BillLin like this.
  9. xcel

Hi Carcus:
    Tow, diagnose, drop tranny, replace belt, reinstall tranny... That is kind of a big deal.

The emissions delete crap is just Fed up. :(

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  10. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I guess it's all relative. You should pour yourself a "free" starbucks in a pickup intensive "big 3" service center sometime --------- look through the glass at the cabs being lifted off the frames and listen to the conversation$ these die$el owners are having with the service center reps.
    Worth the watch (even if it's not the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth)...

Should I Delete My Diesel? The Truth about Diesel Emissions
    •Oct 18, 2018

However, ... sounds like the game has changed in just the past few months (or even weeks) ...

i.e. ...
    https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/se...ohibits-performance-diesel-inc-selling-diesel

the EPA is cracking down -- on road/off road ... most likely a huge legal/legislative battle to ensue (?)

BillLin likes this.
  11. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

and, BTW (have I said this before? (lol), ... I REALLY think it's time for the "big 3" to step forward with CNG vehicles == especially pickups

Trollbait, xcel and BillLin like this.
  12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Me too. I think that's why comments were disabled. If the engineers had told the vblogger that the valve springs were made of marshmallows he would have said "Uh huh" and not asked any questions. I want to give his video a thumbs up for the great detail but I also want to downvote him for lack of journalistic common sense.

13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

14. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Given that there are plenty of chains running all over this (complicated/expensive) engine, ... there is surely some solid reasoning as to why the engineers went with this one lone belt, .. and why the spokesperson went to some length explaining that the belt won't entail a significant maintenance hit. My guess would be that the variable displacement oil pump (for mpg) causes varying harmonics that are better damped with a wet belt than a hard mechanical drive (i.e. chain or gear). I do not think maintenance revenue/planned obsolescence is the goal here

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    xcel and BillLin like this.
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

And at 150k miles, there are probably other things needing maintenance, like transmission fluid and coolant, so the belt will be part of a complete service visit.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  16. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

At 150k miles, the manufacturer doesn't care about it anymore. As long as it lasts past warranty and the check clears the bank, they're happy. The owner doesn't really count as a customer that far down the road.

RedylC94, xcel, BillLin and 1 other person like this.