2016 Nissan Versa SV Fuel Mileage Update

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by Ford Man, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Ford Man

Ford Man Well-Known Member

I'm not very active on the forum anymore but still drop by to check things out occasionally. I bought a 2016 Nissan Versa SV with the CVT back in Feb. 2019 with 10546 miles. It had been in a rear end collision when it had about 10K miles. It was repaired and tagged with a rebuilt title so I got it at a great price $5300. Since I purchased it I've been tracking MPG on every tank and for the last 6013.1 miles in this length of time and mileage I've used 127.315 gallons of gas for an average of 47.230 MPG and 40.8% above EPA combined rating. Most of my driving is rural roads in the 45-55 MPH range with probably about 10% city driving. It's had very little winter weather driving because of buying so late in the winter but I figure by Feb. 2020 I should have a very good idea of what kind of mileage to expect as a baseline. My worst tank to date was the first tank I ran through it at 42.345 MPG that tank was ran from 2/28/19-3/16/19 so there were some cold temperatures and quite a bit of rain. The best tank I've had was 51.167 MPG and was from 4/26/19-5/18/19. Temperatures had warmed up but it wasn't hot enough yet that I needed any a/c on that tank. The rest of the summer I used a/c only as needed and most tanks were probably 25-50% usage. Other than driving slower than most people about the only fuel savings techniques I use are lots of c/c usage, coasting when I can and trying to time traffic lights. No EOC, P&G or anything along those lines.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    litesong, xcel, BillLin and 1 other person like this.
  2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Nice work. That's some cheap transportation right there.

Sounds like our bag of tricks are about the same, ... except my cruising speed runs 65 to 70 mph. my 3 year mpg is 28.5% above EPA combined.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. Ford Man

28.5% above EPA isn't bad. What kind of car do you drive?

4. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

2017 honda civic

5. Ford Man

I have a correction to make my lifetime % over EPA is 38.91%. I quoted 40.8% in the original post but when looking back on my fuel log on www.ecomodder.com that was over the last 90 days.

6. Ford Man

The weather here has cooled down considerably in the last couple weeks and the Versa isn't liking it. My last tank was 50.3MPG. At about 250 miles into the current tank the mileage appears to be in the 45-46MPG range.

7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Ford Man:

Regardless, great efficiency from a vehicle that cost practically nothing! The SV is nicely equipped too!

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. Ford Man

I just bought and installed another mod Saturday, a throttle controller. When I installed it the Ultra Gauge was reading 44MPG and I was about 314 miles into that tank. I drove the car on the same tank until Sunday and 433.5 miles. The reading on the Ultra Gauge increased from 44.0 MPG to 44.6 MPG in about 120 miles. The actual MPG for that tank was 45.6 I've driven about 35 miles on the current tank and with no re calibration to the Ultra Gauge it is currently showing 45.5 MPG and about 15 miles of that was on one of the worst stretches of road I drive on a regular basis for gas mileage. I know there's nothing scientific about my numbers but it does look promising that the throttle controller is going to do what they say it will as long as I do my part and leave it in Eco mode. Each mode has 9 settings and I have mine set at number 9 Eco mode which is supposed to be the most economical. The manufacturer says expect a 3-8% increase in mileage in Eco mode. The one I bought is a Chinese made unit bought on eBay. The seller had them listed at $69.99 or best offer. They accepted an offer of $60. so even a small percentage of increase in MPG it should pay for itself. I averaged my 5 tanks from back in the late winter and early spring of this year and 1 tank of cooler weather this fall. The average on them was 45.1 MPG so that's what I'm going to use as a baseline to see how much benefit I get during the rest of the fall/winter/spring. My warm weather tanks during late spring/summer/early fall were 12 tanks and their average was 48.5. so once the weather warms up again that's what I'll use for a baseline during the warm part of the year. I can tell that with the throttle controller in Eco mode the throttle isn't as responsive to uphill grades. It still maintains the set speed but doesn't open the throttle drastically if the speed drops 1 MPH as it did before. Grades that I used to see 3K+ RPM on with the c/c set at 50 MPH I'm now seeing 2.5-2.75K RPM and on smaller grades that used to increase the RPM's to 2.25-2.5K I'm often seeing about 2K RPM or less. Regardless of how easy I was on the gas pedal before I couldn't duplicate what I'm seeing with the throttle controller. I guess time will tell whether I made a good or bad purchase.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  9. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Cool!

xcel likes this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'm a bit skeptical , probably because I don't really understand what this device is supposed to do. I will research it , and
    I will look forward to your future report. This could be good !

11. BillLin

Most comments I see about similar devices seem written by people with lots of testosterone and who use the quick throttle response end of the spectrum for the device.

xcel likes this.
  12. Ford Man

I was skeptical too. I actually thought about buying one back early this year when I bought the Versa but talked myself out of it. A few weeks ago I started thinking about them again and decided to give it a try. Some models of newer cars have an Eco button on them to help with fuel savings, my understanding is that it also changes throttle input. Throttle input influences lots of things about a car from how much gas going to the engine to transmission shift points. Even the ratios in the CVT change at a different rate and keep the RPM's lower than with the factory settings. Here's a video explaining how they work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arkAfNvUfQ0

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  13. Ford Man

I noticed that too but that wasn't my reason for buying one. I'll be able to give a review based on fuel economy. I haven't even had it in another mode to see how the pedal reacts. Now if cars had been drive by wire when I was a teenager and I'd bought one of these it would have been a different story.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  14. BillLin

I'm not surprised and I had no doubts about your intentions. :)

xcel likes this.
  15. Ford Man

This morning I drove the car earlier in the day than usual while the temps were still in the mid 30's. I drove about 20-21 miles at the colder temps and the Ultra Gauge reading dropped to 42.3 MPG for the tank. By early afternoon the temps had rebound into the low 40's. I drove about 30 miles this afternoon and the tank numbers have rebound to 44.5 MPG at 77.5 miles into the tank. Again this included the section of road where I usually don't get great mileage. I'll be driving it to church tonight and again the temps are forecast to be in the mid 30's by the time I leave for church, lower 30's by the time I return and the bad stretch of road on the return trip which will hurt even more. My baseline for winter/early spring didn't include but about 1 tank with this kind of temperatures so I really don't know what to expect in colder temps. I do remember a tank recently that right after filling up the temps were in 30's and the Ultra Gauge went as low as about 40.5 MPG before the temps warmed up and the numbers rebound. On that particular tank I got 44.75 MPG. I haven't driven this car in really cold weather teens and below so I don't know how much that's going to affect my numbers when it happens. This is not the only car I have so it won't always be driven when the temps are that cold but there will also be lots of warmer days that it doesn't get driven. I think my summer baseline is going to be pretty accurate and is when I'll really be able to tell whether the controller is/is not helping.

16. Ford Man

My back/neck went to bothering to me bad yesterday afternoon and I didn't make it to church so nothing new to report. This afternoon I have an appointment at the pain clinic, the round trip is about 70-75 miles and the majority of it is 4 lane with light traffic and a section of road that always returns good numbers in both directions. About 5 miles will be driving in town around traffic lights and heavier traffic. Forecast temps for this afternoon during the time I'll be making trip are 52 for the trip there and about 45 for the return trip.

17. BillLin

Good luck with the pain.

Sounds nice in the mid-Atlantic states... :) We head down that way for our annual anniversary vacation in late November.

xcel likes this.
  18. Ford Man

Just got back home. #$^&@ Christmas Traffic!!! I was really happy with the mileage going to the pain clinic. I left home with the Ultra Gauge reading 44.5 MPG by the time I got to the pain clinic I was 46.1 MPG for the tank a gain of 1.6 MPG. Got out of the pain clinic and that's where the problems began. Started through town where the traffic lights were and I think every light except maybe 1 caught me and with the Christmas traffic and people just getting off work I had to sit through 2 cycles on a couple of lights. All I could do was sit and watch the numbers click lower and lower on the Ultra Gauge. By the time I got away from the traffic lights I was back where I started from 44.5 MPG. About 5 miles of heavy traffic and 8 or 10 traffic lights ruined what I'd accomplished on the way up. With traffic so heavy and bumper to bumper there was no way to time the lights. Just drive and hope for the best. Now I'm about 150 miles into this tank and am at 45.4 MPG. When the car does that good on the 35+ miles to the clinic and about 30 miles of the return trip it sure disappoints when you only gain 0.9 of a mile for the total trip. My christian beliefs teach us to always find something to be thankful for even when things aren't going good. Boy am I thankful it wasn't raining and the temperature 15* colder.

19. Ford Man

Approximately 30 miles of driving today on a road that's up one hill and down the other that I never get great mileage on. C/C was set at 45MPH which is what I usually do on this road. Mileage still dropped from 45.4 to 44.9 by the time I got back home. Temperatures were low-mid 40's and drizzling rain so all l things considered I guess it didn't do too bad. I'll be doing about another 30 miles tomorrow to and from church. It's forecast to be 33* when we go to church and mid 40's in the afternoon. I usually get pretty good mileage on the trip to church then lose some on the way home. With the cooler temps in the morning I'm not sure what will happen. Hopefully I can keep it at at least 45 MPG tomorrow.

20. litesong

litesong litesong

If you ever encounter a hill that is "up one side & still up on the other", make sure you don't buy a home nearby. BBBUUUTTTTTTT..... if you encounter a hill that is "down one side & still down on the other", buy that hill. I always love free energy. :oops: