Hypermiling a 2009 Fit CVT?

Discussion in 'Honda' started by uRabbit, Jul 11, 2019.

1. uRabbit

uRabbit Well-Known Member

What do y'all think about hypermiling the '09 Fit's CVT? We just got this car, and it's our first automatic. It has paddle shifters and a Sport mode that allows the gears to be shifted at lower RPM than Drive mode normally does, but it does kick down a gear when going uphill or when you slow down.

BillLin likes this.
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

It'll be way better than my manual Fit on the highway because it has better gear ratios. 2000 rpm vs my 2850.
    In town it'll be more of a challenge. You'll be fighting the transmission programming the whole time.

I love the Fit for what you can "fit" into it. :D

BillLin likes this.
  3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

CVT in a Fit in 2009???

BillLin likes this.
  4. PaleMelanesian

Yeah, pretty sure it's a traditional automatic. We've had two Odysseys in the family for 15 years total and it's still "you vs the system" to squeeze the best out of it. Since it's the version with paddle shifters that's a bonus.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    BillLin likes this.
  5. uRabbit

uRabbit Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what they're called. Tried looking. Went with CVT.

PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I just recommended the Fit to my sister in Florida. We'll see if she actually buys one.

BillLin likes this.
  7. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I know nothing about the Fit other than it's a great car, and mostly from Andrew's posts. :) The last traditional automatic I touched was in a Mitsubishi Galant rental many years back.

PaleMelanesian likes this.
  8. PaleMelanesian

It's a fantastically useful car. It has surprising cargo and people space for the size of the box. For an economy car it's relatively fun to drive. It's got that darty lightweight feel that responds instantly. It has decent baseline mpg and can respond well to hypermiling. Very reliable.

It's not:
    quiet
    relaxing on the highway
    fancy
    terribly comfortable, and especially for a taller driver. At 6'2" I manage by having a short commute but it's bad after an hour or so.

BillLin and RedylC94 like this.