Latest from Toyota -- onboard solar battery panels = 28 miles/day --really?

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by Carcus, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

"Tokyo, Japan, July 4, 2019―NEDO, Sharp Corporation (Sharp), and Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) announce today a plan to commence public road trials from late July 2019. The trials aim to assess the effectiveness of improvements in cruising range and fuel efficiency of electrified vehicles equipped with high-efficiency solar batteries."

"......To facilitate the execution of this trial, Sharp modularized its world-class, high-efficiency solar battery cells*1(conversion efficiency of 34 percent-plus*2), previously developed for a NEDO-led project*3, to create an onboard solar battery panel. Toyota installed this panel on the roof, hood, rear hatch door, and other parts of its "Prius PHV" and produced a demo car for public road trials. By enhancing the solar battery panel's efficiency and expanding its onboard area, Toyota was able to achieve a rated power generation output of around 860 W*4, which is approximately 4.8-times higher in comparison with the commercial model Prius PHV (equipped with a solar charging system). In addition to substantially boosting its power generation output, the demo car employs a system that charges the driving battery while the vehicle is parked and also while it's being driven, a development that is expected to lead to considerable improvements in electric-powered cruising range and fuel efficiency.

BEV-mode cruising range equivalent to 44.5 km [27.65 mi]

* Maximum amount of charge generated by the solar charging system while the vehicle is parked or being driven, converted into travelling distance according to the JC08 Japan test cycle. Calculated based on the Japan Photovoltaic Energy Association Labeling Guidelines (FY2016), taking into account the various losses incurred in onboard systems. Solar radiation amount calculated based on the daily data of the average year between 1990 and 2009 in the Nagoya district (source: NEDO).
    https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/corporate/28787347.html?adid=ag478_mail&padid=ag478_mail

/this sounds a little too good to be true. Anyone with solar knowledge want to give an opinion?

2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

".....
    A Prius PHV (sold in the U.S. as Prius Prime) would be the logical car for such a test, after all, it had a solar roof since 2017, at least in its Japanese and EU incarnations. Back then, I asked Shoichi Kaneko, Deputy Chief Engineer of the plug-in Prius, how far a sunny day in Tokyo will get me, and he said “around 5 kilometers.” That would be 3 additional miles, courtesy of the sun, and probably not worth the effort.

The new experimental version changes that in in big way. The solar module with an 860 Watts output enough to power a small microwave could add 44.5 km, or some 28 miles, to the pure-electric range of the car. What’s more, the new module provides solar power also when the car is driven, resulting in a total sun-provided pure battery range of 56.3 km, or 35 miles. All data as per Toyota’s press release, non-EPA, your solar mileage may differ.

Considering that Toyota rates the pure electric range of a standard-issue Prius PHV at 68 km (42 miles), or 25 mile EPA, the bottom line of this experiment is that with those new solar cells, owners of a plug-in Prius would no longer have to plug in. On a fair-weather day, the juice would be provided by the sun, a big improvement especially for people who don’t have their own garage."

Suddenly, Solar-Powered Cars Have a Bright(er) Future
    https://www.thedrive.com/tech/28835/suddenly-solar-powered-cars-have-a-brighter-future

/if true, .. then color me impressed. I thought this "solar dream" was still many years off ....

3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

How much would enough of these "world-class, high-efficiency solar battery cells" to cover a Prius add to the cost?

4. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Yah, might find both the power AND the price going ‘through the roof’...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I think I'd be better served by putting solar panels on the half of my garage roof that gets direct sunlight.

Oh , and Santa if you're listening , a PHEV would be nice , too.

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The sun's irradiance on earth is about 1kw/square meter when the rays are normal to the earth. Irradiance falls sharply if there are clouds and as the sun gets lower on the horizon. So figure 300W/sq m from the panel if the rays are directly normal to the panel and no clouds. They need about 2.9 sq m of panel area to get the claimed 860W power and that would only be on a cloudless day at solar noon. I see that the 860W claimed power figure is calculated not measured.

Carcus likes this.