So I'm thinking about buying a VW TDI. What should I look out for?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by 08EscapeHybrid, Jun 9, 2019.

1. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I still haven't replaced my FEH from when it was totaled a few months ago. I've been unable to locate a decent FEH in my price range, but have seen several VW TDI's in my range. Looking at either a Jetta or Golf wagon. I can get a certified used one at a local VW dealer for under $10K. They have several to choose from. If I skip the VW Certified cars I can get one even cheaper, but without the VW certified warranty.

So, here's my questions:

What's the difference between the Jetta and Golf wagons? They kinda look the same to me.

What should I look for when looking at these cars? Any red flags that would tell me to stay away from a particular car?

Ideally I want a new FEH, but it will be a couple years before I can get one of the new 2020 FEH's at a nice off lease deal. I'll probably be in the VW for at least 3 years, but hey, maybe I'll like it and I'll drive it till the wheels fall off.

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

VW took turns putting different names on the same car. Another example of bad marketing.
    I don't know the exact model year , but I think the wagons with those names made after 2009 were all the same.
    Hope you get a good one !

08EscapeHybrid and BillLin like this.
  3. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Well, that would explain why they look the same to me then!

BillLin likes this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I really like the Sportwagen , especially with the 1.4 TFSI engine. I believe this engine is standard on the Golf , Jetta ,
    and Sportwagen.

BillLin likes this.
  5. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

What year Golf? The 2010-2014 Golf wagon is a facelifted Jetta wagon with a different name, but I thought it still had the Jetta name for the USA. The 2015 and newer Golf wagon is a new platform compared to the earlier models and is what you rode in for our Northwest Rally. It has the newer EA288 engine with SCR, so it should be more efficient than the older, non-SCR engines.

I would only consider buying the manual transmission models. The DSG is nice but needs fluid changes every 40k miles, which cost a few hundred dollars. I remember seeing a few posts about cracked particulate filters on the previous generation EA189 engines. Vehicles that have had the emissions scandal fix should have an 11-year / 162k mile warranty, so that may cover you, depending on how long you plan on keeping the vehicle.

I haven't visited TDIClub much after buying my Civic, but the people there were generally knowledgeable about the cars and potential red flags and problem areas. If you make a post over there, you'll probably get some good information.

08EscapeHybrid and BillLin like this.
  6. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Unfortunately I don't think I can daily drive a manual. I had injured my knee several years ago, and driving in stop & go DC traffic would be miserable. As far as year is concerned, I'm trying to limit myself to 2009 and newer, but the VW Certified cars would be a few years newer.

As a general rule, I'm looking at under 10 years old, under 100,000 miles, and under $10,000 US.

BillLin likes this.
  7. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

BillLin likes this.