Month of May 2019 (Nat’l Avg $2.882)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, May 1, 2019.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

What happened on May 1st! :rolleyes: Created May Daily Grind post and shifted all your May posts to it!!!
    Edit: Finally found out May 1 Gas price and amended thread title!

Last night, detour #2, 66°F, crosswind S4:
    44.3 / 19.2

This morning, motorway route, detoured traffic light section, 46°F, no wind:
    50.8 / 21.5

Tank down 0.6 at 51.1 (FCD 53.8) / 338.3 / Range 360 . Guess gauge F___«|««««E . UG steady at 49.7 / DTE 332

Lost third pip @ 322 miles

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Rain all day yesterday. Rain on the way home. Rain all night.
    Today , 51 deg F , and still raining all the way to work.
    35.1 miles , fcd = 57.5 x .956 = 54.97 MPG.
    Tank is at 203.3 miles , fcd = 62.0 x .956 = 59.27 MPG.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

51.6 / 5.6 - home last night
    54.1 / 6.9 - out to a friends house to mow their lawn. They've been busy with medical issues in the family.
    50.7 / 6.2 - home

52 / 14.1 - school and work this morning

The tank is FINALLY up to 50 at 462 miles.
    F____|__/__E

4. TheFordFamily

TheFordFamily Well-Known Member

Drove a 2016 Chevy Silverado for work today. Trip computer said I averaged 22 MPG over 200 miles. The RAM I drove a few weeks ago was at 25. But this is all based on the computer display.

jcp123, Gord and BillLin like this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I tried putting those numbers in perspective for myself to understand. Greater than 10x the gross weight of a typical car, also the load is greater than the equivalent of 10x the passenger load of a fully occupied typical car... That's darned efficient.

jcp123 and Gord like this.
  6. Gord

Last night, detour #2 again - apparently some roadworks are causing the extra traffic issues - drivers avoiding the area, 66°F, tail/crosswind WNW4:
    45.3 / 19.2

This morning, reverse detour #2 - avoided motorway then detoured traffic light section, 50°F, head/crosswind WNW8:
    50.6 / 19.7

Tank down 0.4 at 50.7 (FCD 53.4) / 377.2 / Range 310 . Guess gauge F___«|««««E . UG up 0.1 at 49.8 / DTE 295

BillLin likes this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

Dry today ! 41 deg F in Naperville , 46 deg in Wood Dale ,
    a little wind from the north. 35.1 miles , 60.8 x .956 = 58.12 MPG.
    Tank is at 272.5 miles , 62.3 x .956 = 59.56 MPG.

8. PaleMelanesian

Nice and warm 54.8 home last night.
    Thunderstorms overnight! 5+ inches of rain.
    But only drizzly this morning. 55.7 mpg.

9. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Samuel Clemens once said that there's three kinds of lies: white lies, damned lies, and statistics. Ton-miles per gallon is the statistic that makes an 18-wheeler look good :)

Had my first urban traffic nightmare in this 2020 yesterday through Atlanta. Despite over two hours to cross the city, it earned a remarkable 8.8mpg just for that segment! Still not meshing with its shift logic, but I can't deny that performance. Probably close to double what I'd have done with stick. Overall for the day it was 9.1. The warmup, Atlanta, and dramatic up-and-down terrain were minuses on other near 12mpg segments.

FCD avg is now at 8.7mpg for the month.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  10. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

You can stop doing the East Texas rain dance now. We flooded!

Gord, PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  11. PaleMelanesian

Stevie Ray Vaughan:
    "Well it's floodin down in Texas..."

12. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Twice in a month, probably the 6th or eighth time since we moved in. We are at the bottom of a nearly bowl-shaped depression, and one of the main runoff channels happens to run through our back yard.

I installed a French drain on my own dime and sacrificed grass for generally making the ditch flow better. Then, my mother-in-law, who owns the house and runs on her own set of rules I can't understand, dug it up. So, flooding again.

Without asking, my wife is using her mom's credit card to get it professionally fixed :)

Crap, this is the efficiency thread. Well, rain is efficient and all solar-powered!

Gord, BillLin and PaleMelanesian like this.
  13. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

But not 10 times the wind resistance or tire rolling resistance, so not ten times the energy to move. The engine is a lot more efficient, not only because it's a modern diesel, but also because it's not as oversized, proportionately.

Gord, BillLin and jcp123 like this.
  14. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Now that, I'd like to see some numbers on. Not likely to understand, but that's where it gets more interesting beyond mpg or tmpg.

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 47 deg F in Naperville , 43 in Wood Dale , 35.1 miles , fcd = 61.8 x .956 = 59.08 MPG.
    Tank is at 340.1 miles , 62.5 x .956 = 59.75 MPG. Still could be a 60 tank. Scenic route #2
    home today and tomorrow. Going into work , it's ALWAYS the highway route , six days a week.
    I will eventually retire , probably when I get tired of driving 500 miles a week.
    Then I might drive 40-50 miles a week.

16. BillLin

A cautionary tale...

A vintage (>10 years old?) ScanGauge II cannot be safely left plugged into the OBD port in a 2017 Prius Prime. (this may apply to any vehicle that has always-on systems)

I plugged my SGII into my wife's car for a 3-day vacation trip to Maine. The car's 12V battery was dead on the 3rd day. I had done some minimal driving during the period (<2 hours total) so there was not enough charging of the 12V battery to replace losses which I had not noticed.

The 12V battery seemed fine by the time we got home, but I put a battery tender on it overnight just in case. Hopefully, the 12V battery wasn't too badly damaged.

Corollary: It is very helpful to have a portable 12V device to extricate oneself from the above situation. Mine was of course at home. :( Luckily, a kind person working at the hotel had one, and we were on our way in short order.

17. PaleMelanesian

Well, assuming the truck is the same height and width as a standard trailer, it's 102" wide by 162" high (roof to ground). That's 114 square feet.
    My car is 28 square feet. So that's 4 times the frontal area for wind resistance. But you're running 20 times the gross weight I am. (60k vs 3k loaded)
    18 tires vs 4 is 4.5 times the rolling resistance (assuming the same tires LOL :p).
    500 hp vs my 117 is ... about 4 times. 20x the weight, 4x the power means you're at 1/5 the power-weight I have.
    Torque is more like 12 times. You're still underpowered compared to me, about 2/3 as much.

Anyway I did 55.8 mpg home last night and 55.3 this morning.

Gord, EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  18. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Interesting! Was the ScanGauge display off? I've been under the impression my now-4-year-old ScanGauge doesn't drain the Prius 12-v battery significantly after shut-down, but am not certain. It is capable of waking up to show battery voltage if the voltage suddenly changes (typically when the stupid brake pump runs) or if I press the bottom right button. Normal vampire drain of the 12-v in a non-Prime Prius is reportedly around 20mA.

Leaving a door or hatch ajar will definitely kill the battery within 3 days (at ~0.7A, plus any lights).

Gord, EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  19. BillLin

The back light of the SG II was definitely on, noticed at various times, but didn't fully register as I expected it to shut off eventually. Yes, my bad. I'm sure the Gen 3 Prius is fine since I never had this problem with the 2010 Prius or 2012 plug-in Prius.

I think the only system that should be always on is the telematics. I can remotely access info so it must be on. I thought for a few moments that the charging system may be on, but in retrospect the act of plugging the EVSE (level 1 or 2 charging device) should be enough to wake up the system without the system staying on. So maybe the data bus stays alive constantly or frequently enough to keep the SG II awake.

I won't make this same mistake, potentially with the Bolt as well. Truth is I haven't felt the need to use the SG II with the Bolt. I've been too lazy to search for pids to program for the Bolt, if they exist somewhere...

Gord and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  20. Gord

Last night, detour #3 this time after 3 up and down the junction tricks, 56°F, head/crosswind NE8:
    47.4 / 20.3

This morning, motorway route, detoured traffic light section, 45°F, tail/crosswind NE4:
    50.2 / 21.5

Tank down 0.2 at 50.5 (FCD 53.2) / 419.0 / Range 260 . Guess gauge F____|««««E . UG up 0.2 at 50.0 / DTE 256

Half tank @ 391 miles - best since last September

BillLin likes this.