City Vs Highway huge difference.

Discussion in 'General' started by Hypochondriac, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Hypochondriac

Hypochondriac Member

I was shocked by the difference between city stuck in traffic MPG and highway MPG. Going on the highway I average 32+ MPG, best case city driving was around 20 mpg :(. Unfortunately the majority of my driving tends to be city driving

BillLin likes this.
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Some cars really shine on the highway.
    Some cars struggle on the highway, some struggle in town.
    Traffic is just terrible. :(

The good news is, in town is where you have the most opportunity to improve mpg by changing your driving style. On the highway the best thing you can do is slow down. In town you can play with the timing of traffic lights, coasting, engine off at lights, etc.

3. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

Consider a hybrid for next car. They excel in city driving and not bad at all on highway. I have owned a Camry Hybrid and a Prius. Both great cars.

Jay, EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  4. Yup. I moved to an area where the highway speed limit is 75. I've been extremely busy with life and work and incredibly lazy with my mpgs over the winter. Switched back to the summer tires and mpgs still sucked . What do you know, kept my highway speed under 70 for the last tank and they're coming back up. Hauling a lot of free wood, stocking up for winter and that is hurting mpgs, but I hope it's worth it

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  5. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

My car gets over 200MPGe in the city and local driving, but it only gets about 120MPGe on the highway.

My family has three EV's. ;)

BillLin likes this.
  6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

My Acura RSX gets mid to high 20s in town and low 40s on the road at 65mph. My Honda CB300R is just the opposite getting high 90s and low 100s around town and 60mpg or so on the road at 65mph. I've got to move to a warmer climate where I can take advantage of the bike more.

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  7. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I found a good, additional source of weather and in particular, surface wind info. See uavforecast dot com. Hourly forecasts for the next 24 hours are free. Subscription fee for additional info seems high to me, a bit all or nothing. I'd contribute at a lower level. The free feature set is all I really need.

Edit: I didn't mean to post this here, but in case it is useful for figuring out the impact of wind on a highway drive :D, I'll leave this here instead of deleting.

EdwinTheMagnificent and Jay like this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks , Bill. I've found that what I'm using now ( wunderground ) is woefully inaccurate
    or flat-out wrong for wind info. I will check this out.