GPS Week Number Rollover

Discussion in 'General' started by Jay, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I got an email from TomTom notifying me that an older GPS that I own will become inoperable after April 6 due to a GPS phenomenon called "week number rollover" or WNRO. WNRO occurs every 19 years when the GPS system resets its calendar to zero. TomTom likens it to an odometer that rolls over from all nines to zero again.

Even though TomTom no longer supports my old GPS with updates, they offer a one-time update to get past WNRO and keep the device working. That's good because I still use it occasionally on my motorcycle.

So heads up those of you with older GPS devices. April 6 2019 is your Y2K day.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/8/1...ver-issue-2019-garmin-tomtom-devices-affected

BillLin and xcel like this.
  2. litesong

litesong litesong

Oh, oh! I was wondering how my old Tom Tom was still functioning....... till tomorrow. Its Tom Tom's version of avoiding obsolescence. Gee.... I liked my compass & speed readings.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

My Garmin was stolen from my car about a month ago. S'okay , I didn't use it much.

And only believed its "advice" half of the time. And no, I don't use my phone for "navigation".

4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Sorry for your loss, Edwin. Collateral damage in the theft could be worse. Hope all is otherwise okay.

xcel likes this.
  5. litesong

litesong litesong

Well, well. No, that's oh,oh! Hey, my old Tom Tom is still going....guided me to a destination today, to pick up a Goodyear Eagle GT tire....... new & stored properly..... $40! Heard the Tom Tom could go at any time. As I said, I like the compass & speedometer. Can I get apps for compass & speedometer for my Apple phone GPS?

6. BillLin

You're kidding, right? :)

xcel likes this.
  7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

My Garmin is still working just like yesterday that I can tell? A 2017 model 7" so maybe they coded for the problem prior to its release?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. litesong

litesong litesong

I want to know the speed & direction I'm moving. Don't you? All good explorers want that. Also,I have to get the phone app that has the schematic mountain silhouettes on the horizon with their names, as the phone is pointed in any direction. Don't you? All good hikers want that. I gotta get the app to show the celestial constellations as one points the phone to the sky. Don't you? All good amateur astronomers what that.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  9. litesong

litesong litesong

Was the Garmin affected too? Not just the Tom Tom?

BillLin likes this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

What's a mountain ?

11. BillLin

:)

I can only speak for Android apps. There's a myriad of them for each of the above scenarios. I even have a few installed, such as compass(es) and PeakFinder. Well, not really, I had PeakFinder but don't have it any more and the Amazon AppStore isn't being cooperative with me lately. Your description of 'schematic mountain silhouettes on the horizon with their names' is spot on for that app. I'm not even an amateur as far as astronomy goes, though I do enjoy looking at the clear, night sky on occasion when away from the light pollution.

I've never had a Tom Tom so I haven't been worried. I don't know if that bug is in other brand GPS units, though I suppose why not? Still, not too worried.

xcel likes this.
  12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I read the other day that multiple Boeing 787s in China were grounded for the WNRO problem. They're awaiting updates from Boeing.

[​IMG]

13. BillLin

Now there's one place I would not want any GPS errors.

EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  14. litesong

litesong litesong

Where's the Spirit of St. Louis & Charles Lindbergh, when ya need them....... dead I reckoning.

PaleMelanesian likes this.
  15. litesong

litesong litesong

Update, Update!! My very old Tom Tom still functions, still getting me to my destinations, & giving my speed & direction. Alright...... till my next post here......

BillLin likes this.