2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD Preview

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 24, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Those built in bumper and now side bed steps continue to lead the Pickup truck industry!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – March 23, 2019

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD

[​IMG]

With the debut of the 2020 Silverado HD, it is the most capable Silverado HD ever produced.

Under the hood is a choice of two new powertrains: A follow on to the current Wards 10-Best engine 6.2L gasoline engine with direct injection mated to a 6-speed AT or the 910 lb-ft of torque Duramax Turbo-Diesel V8, mated to an all-new Allison 10-speed AT.

The interior includes an additional 3 inches of legroom on crew cab models and a taller, more comfortable seating position. I had no problem with either with the last generation truck, but everyone wants more and Silverado provides.

[​IMG]
    Can you say High Country?​

The 2020 Silverado HD also will offer new trailering technology, significant increases in towing and payload capabilities.

Chevrolet will not win any power, torque, or efficiency awards given the Ford 6.7L PowerStroke V8 and RAM 6.7L I6 Cummins wars best it in those categories but it easily wins the utility debate with the cool as hell built into the bumper and now side of the bed steps.

[​IMG]
    Best in the business gets even better!​

Built at the Flint Assembly plant in Flint, MI, the new Silverado HD’s design accentuates it heavy-duty function, the 2020 Silverado HD exterior shares only the roof with its Silverado 1500 and goes on sale in mid-2019.

BillLin likes this.
  2. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

The Rivian R1T has an awesome feature, they call the "gear tunnel".

[​IMG]
    It also have a very capacious frunk:
    [​IMG]
    And a full size spare:
    [​IMG]

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

What is going on with that tail gate?

BillLin likes this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Fold-down steps maybe?

xcel likes this.
  5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

If it wasn't so ridiculously huge it wouldn't need those steps. o_O:rolleyes::eek::confused:

Looks like the Rivian tailgate can fold all the way down. Looks like in the "normal" position there's a panel that covers the bed-tailgate gap - good idea, avoid mulch and gravel getting jammed in there.

xcel, BillLin and RedylC94 like this.
  6. NeilBlanchard

It folds down 2 ways - conventionally, and with a second hinge part way up, to allow you to walk close enough to the full size spare, to pull it out.

xcel, Trollbait and BillLin like this.
  7. NeilBlanchard

It is a midsize pickup, based on the overall dimensions.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  8. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I was talking about the silverado HD. That thing is HUGE!

xcel and NeilBlanchard like this.
  9. Trollbait

I'm guessing the motor prevents placing the spare underneath on the Rivian as is done with conventional trucks.

xcel likes this.
  10. NeilBlanchard

A couple of points - the battery pack and all FOUR electric motors are tightly packaged into a skateboard, so yes - the spare can't fit underneath.

The Rivian is a "super car" if you go by the acceleration of <3s 0-60MPH for the mid sized battery model. It has immense torque, and full torque vectoring - 3 wheels can be going one direction, and the 4th can go in the other direction. It has height adjustable suspension, and it has both electric outlets, and an air compressor. It has 3 storage areas (4 if you take the spare out), a hard cover, crossbar rack, and autonomous safety features.

xcel likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Hope it comes to market.

xcel likes this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Wait …… did you really say "autonomous" and "safety" in the same sentence ?

xcel likes this.
  13. NeilBlanchard

It is due to start selling in 2020, I believe.

Yes, it has automatic safety features - they work by themselves, so they are autonomous.

xcel likes this.
  14. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

You sure about mid-'19 release? I've seen three already, not wearing manufacturers' plates either. I'm not sure how third-party PR fleets tag their vehicles, but if they don't run M plates, GM must be getting these things out to journalists hard in some way.

Ooh, I wonder what the camo Hyundai I saw in Michigan was, or what the M-plate Z71 Tahoe I saw in South Carolina was doing.

xcel likes this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

I'm still wondering about the Fusion station wagon we saw in Arizona on the Audi "Truth In 48" drive.

xcel likes this.
  16. Trollbait

xcel likes this.
  17. EdwinTheMagnificent

Wow , looks suspiciously like a station wagon , just taller than it needs to be. I guess if you need to move a lot of product ,
    you give the people what they want , eh ? The article mentioned The Buick Regal TourX which actually IS a
    station wagon , and a beautiful one. Also not destined to sell in huge numbers here.

xcel likes this.