Honda Leads U.S. in Efficiency in Fuel Efficiency in 2019 EPA Report

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 21, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Honda’s new Hybrids help brand top the U.S. EPA Trends Report.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – March 6, 2019

[​IMG]

The U.S. EPA released its Automotive Trends Report showing Honda is now the most fuel-efficient automaker in America. Honda has the highest fleet average fuel economy of any major automaker for the 2017 model year.

The 2019 EPA Automotive Trends Report ranked Honda first with a U.S. fleet average fuel economy of 29.4 miles per gallon (mpg), a five-year improvement of 3.1 mpg, and 4.5 mpg above the industry average for MY2017.

In 2018, Honda set new all-time records for sales and production of electrified vehicles in America, spurred by the introduction of the 2019 Insight hybrid sedan built at the Greensburg, Indiana plant, and the start of production of the redesigned 2019 Accord Hybrid in Marysville, Ohio. The company added production of its two-motor hybrid power unit in Russells Point, Ohio, and assembly of the hybrid battery packs for both the Insight and Accord Hybrid at its Marysville, Ohio plant.

The Honda Clarity vehicles now features battery electric, fuel cell and plug-In hybrid variants also contributed to the company's increased alternative fuel vehicle footprint and reduced CO2 emissions. The 50-state Clarity Plug-In Hybrid topped all other plug-in hybrid models in total U.S. sales in December, January and February.

2019 Honda Insight

[​IMG]
    Decent first drive results from Honda’s most efficient hybrid.​

Globally, Honda intends for two-thirds of its automobile sales to be electrified vehicles by 2030 and is making substantial investments to produce electrified vehicles in America, including the current Insight and Accord Hybrid, along with the Acura MDX Sport Hybrid and Acura NSX hybrid supercar.

Honda projects that two-thirds of its global automobile sales will be electrified by 2030. In North America, the Honda Electrification Initiative will see Honda's electrified powertrain technologies applied to an expanding portfolio of cars and light trucks in the years ahead.

Honda is working to reduce the environmental impact of its products throughout their life cycle, including reducing waste, emissions and further improving the energy efficiency of producing, distributing and selling Honda and Acura products in North America. This includes a 93 percent reduction in waste sent to landfills from Honda plants in North America.

2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Interesting that Mazda is a close 2nd to Honda with no electrified models.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Any big SUVs in the mix?

xcel and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I would say the CX-5 is big. Maybe others wouldn't. The 3-row CX-9 is certainly big.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Do red arrows signify decrease? Toyo's numbers are slightly positive. Definitely not a lot of movement though.

6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I think Toyota is moving backwards on the U.S. fleet average numbers due to SUV/Pickup sales making up a larger slice of the Toyota pie ...

"U.S. sales have slipped in recent years for the maker of the Camry, Corolla and Prius cars as American consumers are choosing pickups, SUVs and crossovers over sedans by a ratio of more than 2-to-1. Last year, Toyota's U.S. car sales fell 12 percent from 2017, while light-truck deliveries jumped 8 percent."
    https://www.autonews.com/world-congress/toyota-pickups-driving-share-gain-shrinking-us-market

/I'm reading it as Toyota was at 25.5 mpg in 2012, but they slipped to 25.3 in 2017. (?)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Ah, arrow indicates direction of time maybe. Ok.

Wait a sec, then why is the right one red??

upload_2019-3-23_17-44-42.png

Ah who knows, and they're pretty much dead-in-the-water, either way.

EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and BillLin like this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

And most of Honda's sales are ICE vehicles. Both companies have a history for efficient engines, and neither make body on frame trucks, nor a V8.

Red is bad.
    MPG go down(left), bad.
    CO2 emissions go up(right), bad.

TheFordFamily, xcel and BillLin like this.
  9. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Is there historical data for this? I'd like to see where automakers were in many years past...

xcel and BillLin like this.
  10. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

....and Ford/GM can only produce trucks it seems. Sigh

xcel and BillLin like this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

If our government actually CARED about emissions and climate change , they would discourage Americans from buying FSP's.
    First of all , they would need to acknowledge the problem. After that , the solution is easy. Start with an additional $.50/gallon federal tax
    on gasoline , incrementing up $.50 every year for five years. But I guess that would be "unpopular".

Trollbait and BillLin like this.
  12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It would not only be unpopular it would be an economic disaster. Transportation costs are imbedded in everything you buy and it would therefore be a tax on everything.

13. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Oil is likely headed north on it's own. Honda's future is secure..

"The prospectus says that the Ghawar field can only produce 3.8 million barrels per day (mb/d), not the widely thought 5 mb/d that has floated around for years as a rough estimate. “As Saudi’s largest field, a surprisingly low production capacity figure from Ghawar is the stand-out of the report,” said Virendra Chauhan, head of upstream at consultant Energy Aspects Ltd., according to Bloomberg."

Aramco’s Mythical Ghawar Field Could Be Its Weak Spot
    https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Aramcos-Mythical-Ghawar-Field-Could-Be-Its-Weak-Spot.html

14. EdwinTheMagnificent

E10 87 is at $3.099 at my local Shell. Still way too cheap.

15. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Well, .. you can't please everybody.

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  16. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Why is Toyota losing ground? Is it because Prius sales are tanking?

17. EdwinTheMagnificent

Maybe so. I love my Prius , but there is serious competition from Honda and Hyundai. That's a small-to-medium size pie
    they're cutting up into little pieces. Not to mention the former Prius owners who have "graduated" to BEV's.

18. litesong

litesong litesong

Funny how the MPG leaders in the late 70s & 80's were the cheap small cars. But now the energy efficient leaders are vehicles, I can't afford.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

I'd say it is because of real car sale's going down. Among trucks and SUVs Fuel economy, the non-hybrids most buy range from good, but don't stand out, to poor for Toyota.

Keep in mind this data is for 2017, before the arrival of the new Camry with the DS4 engines, which are in this year's Rav4.