2020 Hyundai Sonata Revealed... Remember the Azera?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 7, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Longer, wider, lower… And unique!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – March 5, 2019

2020 Hyundai Sonata

[​IMG]

Hyundai has officially revealed its next 8th Gen Sonata providing a new 1.2 inch lower height, 1 inch wider stance, wheelbase up by 1.3 inches and length has been increased by just under 2 inches. Short overhangs and an even lower deck lid are just a start as Hyundai’s signature chrome accents now rolls into the hood.

What Hyundai is calling a Digital Pulse Cascading highlight is connected to the hood. In particular, the DRLs are embedded with Hidden Lighting Lamps that incorporates state-of-the-art LED lighting tech. The Hidden Lighting Lamps appear to be of a chromic material when switched off and become dramatically lit when turned on.

The profile is accentuated by two chromic lines linking the windows and DRLs.

[​IMG]

The all-new Sonata has an Azera looking rear end with ultra-wide taillamps and the refreshed 7th gens flat trunk face.

[​IMG]

The light architecture is also applied to the interior space with the ambient mood lamp illuminating dashboard and doors.

The interior instrument panel is modern, with the recognizable wing. This shape floats when looked at and carries into the long armrests. Satin chrome accents enhance the look and feel through the cabin.

The height of the dashboard and HVAC vents were compressed as much as possible while light color fabrics and leathers are standard fare.

[​IMG]

Drivetrain upgrades? Completely unknown. The full reveal will arrive during the NYIAS Press Days in early April.

And it still looks a lot like the long defunct but very sexy looking Azera to me.

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I want Digital Pulse Cascading on my next car ! How did we ever get along without it ?

By the way , what the heck IS Digital Pulse Cascading ? It must be important , otherwise they wouldn't capitalize, right ?

Jay and BillLin like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I think it is just a funky name for the look of the grille... Here's a screen cap I got from AUTOWEEK.

upload_2019-3-7_9-33-52.png

xcel likes this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

It sure is a handsome car. Too big for me , but probably a great highway cruiser.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Engine is supposed to be the 2.5L Theta III, with the 2.0L turbo version available for those with "Sport" intentions.

And then there are rumors of a turbo 2.5L version for the Sonata "N". The Hyundai "N" brand is similar to BMW "M" and Mercedes "AMG" brands. I suspect then "N" stands for "Naaahh" to answer questions like "Will those 30-series summer tires last more than six months?" or "Is the insurance less than five grand a year" or "Will it cost me less than a hundred a week in gas?" or "Will I finally be rockin' some huge street cred when I roll up in a gingerbread-infested Resipiratory Arrest Blue Metallic sedan that in its more basic form is the darling of insurance salesmen, school teachers, social workers, tax accountants, and other hardcore gangsta archetypes?"

For this new generation, the hybrid and PHEV versions are finally coming to market at the same time as the gas burners. No more vague "next quarter" announcements for the hybrids.

The Digital Key will be coming to the Sonata. Using a Smart Phone, you hold the phone near a front door handle and the door unlocks. Get in the car, place the phone on the charge pad and step on the brake and press the stop/start button to start the car. Up to four phones can be set up for access to the car.

With the sedan market on the decline, we need to applaud Hyundai for keeping an entrant in the segment, and investing in the platform and new technologies to keep it relevant and attractive to buyers.

Jay, JonNC, xcel and 2 others like this.
  6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I was gonna say that it's a handsome car that will not sell well because sedan.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. litesong

litesong litesong

How changeable & fickle is the public. From 2011 thru 2016, Hyundai sold bunches of Accents, Elantras, Sonatas, etc in major part, because of their wonderfully attractive...... sedans. Tho we love hatchbacks, the beauty of the Elantras is why we have TWO of them. Yes, their beauty is one reason I drive them......... a lot!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

All-New Sonata Third-Generation Vehicle Platform

New structure dramatically improves collision safety and enables innovative design elements.

Hyundai announced that it has implemented its third-generation vehicle platform to the new generation Sonata scheduled to go on sale later this month. The new platform will improve the market competitiveness of Hyundai’s newest Sonata and future vehicle models with greater flexibility for vehicle development, which dramatically enhances overall design, safety, efficiency, power and driving performance. Think of VWs MQB and Toyota's TNGA platforms and you have the complete picture.

[​IMG]

The new generation Sonata offers reduced weight and improved fuel efficiency while also achieving stronger durability with the new platform. The platform builds on the former platform’s core advantages, enabling a stable design with a lower center of gravity. The third-generation platform also allows Hyundai to implement sporty and stylish design elements to the new Sonata.

The platform also delivers a significant improvement in collision safety through the adoption of a multi-load path structure, ‘Hot Stamping,’ and super-high tensile steel plate.

The sophisticated multi-load path structure increases the energy absorbed by the vehicle in a collision, improving safety with minimization of collision impact into the passenger cabin.

The platform is designed so that the tires move outward during a small overlap collision to maximize customer safety. Such technology inhibits vehicle from spinning and prevents possible secondary collisions.

The extended application of Hot Stamping also prevents deformation of the passenger room, thereby further improving vehicle safety.

The all-new Sonata equipped with the new platform is also expected to improve power and driving performance. It has been developed for possible application of Hyundai’s next-generation engine called the Smartstream Powertrain.

Featuring a system that controls the flow of air, the new platform improves air movement to the engine bay and heat dissipation, which enhances stability in the lower part of the vehicle and minimizes air resistance to deliver excellent efficiency and power performance.

Stability is enhanced by lowering the position of heavy equipment in the platform, which reduces weight and lowers the center of gravity. In addition, it enables agile handling by dramatically expanding lateral stiffness and positioning the steering closer to the wheel center while also providing stable and balanced driving performance by implementing tire-optimization technology. Noise reduction is also improved with enhanced noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) performance through reinforced sound-absorbing systems in vibration-sensitive parts.

2020 Hyundai Sonata Interior

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.