2020 Hyundai Sonata Revealed... Remember the Azera?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 7, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Longer, wider, lower… And unique!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – March 5, 2019

2020 Hyundai Sonata

[​IMG]

Hyundai has officially revealed its next 8th Gen Sonata providing a new 1.2 inch lower height, 1 inch wider stance, wheelbase up by 1.3 inches and length has been increased by just under 2 inches. Short overhangs and an even lower deck lid are just a start as Hyundai’s signature chrome accents now rolls into the hood.

What Hyundai is calling a Digital Pulse Cascading highlight is connected to the hood. In particular, the DRLs are embedded with Hidden Lighting Lamps that incorporates state-of-the-art LED lighting tech. The Hidden Lighting Lamps appear to be of a chromic material when switched off and become dramatically lit when turned on.

The profile is accentuated by two chromic lines linking the windows and DRLs.

[​IMG]

The all-new Sonata has an Azera looking rear end with ultra-wide taillamps and the refreshed 7th gens flat trunk face.

[​IMG]

The light architecture is also applied to the interior space with the ambient mood lamp illuminating dashboard and doors.

The interior instrument panel is modern, with the recognizable wing. This shape floats when looked at and carries into the long armrests. Satin chrome accents enhance the look and feel through the cabin.

The height of the dashboard and HVAC vents were compressed as much as possible while light color fabrics and leathers are standard fare.

[​IMG]

Drivetrain upgrades? Completely unknown. The full reveal will arrive during the NYIAS Press Days in early April.

And it still looks a lot like the long defunct but very sexy looking Azera to me.

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I want Digital Pulse Cascading on my next car ! How did we ever get along without it ?

By the way , what the heck IS Digital Pulse Cascading ? It must be important , otherwise they wouldn't capitalize, right ?

Jay and BillLin like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I think it is just a funky name for the look of the grille... Here's a screen cap I got from AUTOWEEK.

upload_2019-3-7_9-33-52.png

xcel likes this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

It sure is a handsome car. Too big for me , but probably a great highway cruiser.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Engine is supposed to be the 2.5L Theta III, with the 2.0L turbo version available for those with "Sport" intentions.

And then there are rumors of a turbo 2.5L version for the Sonata "N". The Hyundai "N" brand is similar to BMW "M" and Mercedes "AMG" brands. I suspect then "N" stands for "Naaahh" to answer questions like "Will those 30-series summer tires last more than six months?" or "Is the insurance less than five grand a year" or "Will it cost me less than a hundred a week in gas?" or "Will I finally be rockin' some huge street cred when I roll up in a gingerbread-infested Resipiratory Arrest Blue Metallic sedan that in its more basic form is the darling of insurance salesmen, school teachers, social workers, tax accountants, and other hardcore gangsta archetypes?"

For this new generation, the hybrid and PHEV versions are finally coming to market at the same time as the gas burners. No more vague "next quarter" announcements for the hybrids.

The Digital Key will be coming to the Sonata. Using a Smart Phone, you hold the phone near a front door handle and the door unlocks. Get in the car, place the phone on the charge pad and step on the brake and press the stop/start button to start the car. Up to four phones can be set up for access to the car.

With the sedan market on the decline, we need to applaud Hyundai for keeping an entrant in the segment, and investing in the platform and new technologies to keep it relevant and attractive to buyers.

Jay, JonNC, xcel and 2 others like this.
  6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I was gonna say that it's a handsome car that will not sell well because sedan.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. litesong

litesong litesong

How changeable & fickle is the public. From 2011 thru 2016, Hyundai sold bunches of Accents, Elantras, Sonatas, etc in major part, because of their wonderfully attractive...... sedans. Tho we love hatchbacks, the beauty of the Elantras is why we have TWO of them. Yes, their beauty is one reason I drive them......... a lot!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  8. xcel

Hi All:

All-New Sonata Third-Generation Vehicle Platform

New structure dramatically improves collision safety and enables innovative design elements.

Hyundai announced that it has implemented its third-generation vehicle platform to the new generation Sonata scheduled to go on sale later this month. The new platform will improve the market competitiveness of Hyundai’s newest Sonata and future vehicle models with greater flexibility for vehicle development, which dramatically enhances overall design, safety, efficiency, power and driving performance. Think of VWs MQB and Toyota's TNGA platforms and you have the complete picture.

[​IMG]

The new generation Sonata offers reduced weight and improved fuel efficiency while also achieving stronger durability with the new platform. The platform builds on the former platform’s core advantages, enabling a stable design with a lower center of gravity. The third-generation platform also allows Hyundai to implement sporty and stylish design elements to the new Sonata.

The platform also delivers a significant improvement in collision safety through the adoption of a multi-load path structure, ‘Hot Stamping,’ and super-high tensile steel plate.

The sophisticated multi-load path structure increases the energy absorbed by the vehicle in a collision, improving safety with minimization of collision impact into the passenger cabin.

The platform is designed so that the tires move outward during a small overlap collision to maximize customer safety. Such technology inhibits vehicle from spinning and prevents possible secondary collisions.

The extended application of Hot Stamping also prevents deformation of the passenger room, thereby further improving vehicle safety.

The all-new Sonata equipped with the new platform is also expected to improve power and driving performance. It has been developed for possible application of Hyundai’s next-generation engine called the Smartstream Powertrain.

Featuring a system that controls the flow of air, the new platform improves air movement to the engine bay and heat dissipation, which enhances stability in the lower part of the vehicle and minimizes air resistance to deliver excellent efficiency and power performance.

Stability is enhanced by lowering the position of heavy equipment in the platform, which reduces weight and lowers the center of gravity. In addition, it enables agile handling by dramatically expanding lateral stiffness and positioning the steering closer to the wheel center while also providing stable and balanced driving performance by implementing tire-optimization technology. Noise reduction is also improved with enhanced noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) performance through reinforced sound-absorbing systems in vibration-sensitive parts.

2020 Hyundai Sonata Interior

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  9. xcel

Hyundai and BOSE Collaborate on The All-new 2020 Sonata

[​IMG] System applies proprietary Bose digital signal processing tech to place the passengers at the center of the audio sound regardless of their position in the cabin.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – March 11, 2019

[​IMG]

Hyundai's all-new next gen Sonata will be offered with the Bose Premium sound system to provide the best audio experience to future owners in history of the model.

Engineers at Hyundai and Bose attempted to replicate in vehicle music to the way the artist intended. The resulting audio system produces crisp sounds for a high-quality entertainment experience. I like the current Harmon system in the Sonata Limited. This new one is even better? Possibly? Wow!

The Bose sound system in the new generation Sonata is equipped with twelve speakers. Low-frequencies are delivered by a combination of Bose Super65 speakers in the front doors and a 9-inch Bose neodymium woofer positioned on the rear deck.

A 3.25-inch neodymium mid-range speaker in the center of the instrument panel; four 2.5-inch Twiddler speakers – one in each corner of the instrument panel and one on each side of the rear deck; and two 5.25-inch wide-range speakers – one in each rear door bring in the mid-ranges. Higher frequencies are delivered through two 1-inch neodymium tweeters – one in each front door.

The system is driven by a Bose digital amplifier with 12 channels of custom equalization and digital signal processing.

Speaker locations result in a Bose Premium sound system that offers a rendition that is comfortable to the ear under all circumstances, even in high volume and speed environments. Sort of like the current system but possibly better?

Music and sound played in the new Sonata is immersive and enveloping, thanks to Bose Centerpoint surround technology and Bose SurroundStage signal processing, which put every occupant at the center of the audio experience regardless of where they are positioned in the cabin.

Bose Centerpoint technology uses a proprietary algorithm to analyze a stereo signal and converts it into multiple channels for surround-sound listening in the front and rear seats. Bose SurroundStage circuitry ensures a balanced 360-degree sound field for each seating position so all occupants receive full music immersion.

To help preserve the quality of the listening experience, the Bose system is also equipped with Dynamic Speed Compensation, which automatically adjusts the volume and tone of music based on vehicle speed.

BillLin likes this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

Every Bose system I have heard since 1994 sounds highly processed and artificial . like they rounded off all the sharp edges.
    I want to hear a snare drum sound like a rifle shot , and guitars that sizzle. I like my Klipsch speakers.

11. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Saw interior pictures (burlappcar) showing lane watch in the right gauge. I loved that Honda feature and pity Honda removed that in latest models (while Acura never got it). Overall looks like a great redesign and they finally got a modern interior.

But my experience so far with service is not so great. More frequent service required and roadside assistance was bad experience. Resale value seems also lot worse than Honda/Toyota. So not sure if I'd consider another Hyundai but I think they did a good job with the redesign.

BillLin likes this.
  12. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I really should try and sit in a modern Hyundai and see if interior quality lives up to the looks. Just in terms of pure aesthetics, they're among my fav interiors these days.

I wouldn't say I'm put off by the exterior - I think it's got a nice butt - but it's starting to teeter back to Old Hyundai, with some derivative shapes and such. I think the current Sonata is very, very handsome and more distinctive than this one. Here's to hoping they keep themselves established firmly in the mainstream.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    BillLin likes this.
  13. MaxxMPG

Hyundai styling doesn't always photograph well because the surface details are largely lost in the 2D image. The new Sonata looks rather interesting as an interstate long distance traveler, with a 2.5L Atkinson engine and 8 speed automatic and hopefully the same 18.5 gallon tank. The auto press might be singing from the same sheet - that the sedan is going the way of the tail fin and the opera window, but it makes more sense to continue to compete in a segment where others are already departing. Even when the pie is shrinking, you can still get a good helping when others leave the party.

In a related story, Thank God that Hyundai will use the name VENUE for their new mini crossover. Until yesterday, they were using the name STYX, which is a river of fire in hell. Just this past Sunday, I was at my brother's house debating the name and impending disaster. "See you in hell - in a Hyundai Styx". "Go to hell. Styx will get you there". No saving that ad campaign. Venue is a vastly better choice, and we will see how long it takes for smarty-pants owners to chisel the E and the N off the rear hatch to make themselves an all new VUE. Heh heh. For crossover-crazy North America, a low cost subcompact raised-box hatchback is going to move a lot of copies. Maybe Hyundai should name it RE VENUE because that's what the new baby is going to generate.

14. EdwinTheMagnificent

A nice butt is always appreciated.

15. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

That bears remembering for most modern cars. Styling has become kinda fussy, and I can recall a lot of cars which look far, FAR better in living color than in photographs, so you're right - I'll reserve judgment until I see one in the flesh.

I have this idea that if a mainstream, volume manufacturer can put out a good midsize sedan, then they can put out a good product in almost any volume segment. The balance they have to achieve there for quality, usability, price, and some responsiveness lends itself well as a practice venue to do the same in basically any sub-$40k vehicle, and likely has some osmosis over on their Genesis premium products as well.

Motoring press isn't entirely wrong saying that crossovers are putting the hurt on midsize cars, but I also think they're being squeezed from below by "compacts" which over the last decade have stretched out basically to old midsize dimensions, have tons of tech and features that few midsizers had a decade ago, and are priced sans inflation correction about where midsizers were ca. 15 or maybe 20 years ago.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  16. MaxxMPG

The death of the 'mid size sedan' seems to be due to fragmentation of the market. To move more cars, the domestic brands split "mid size" to a little smaller and a little larger. In the case of Chevrolet, they shrunk the Malibu in 2013 to make room for an Impala on the same platform with a few inches of extra wheelbase. The Malibu ended up being a compact car on the inside but with midsize exterior girth, and was rejected as impractical by American families. Then GM took the Impala, which was on the same wheelbase as the prior year's Malibu, and then reclassed it as their "full size" car and jacked the price up 30% without changing anything other than exterior sheet metal. Equipment and room was about the same. Ford did the same with the Mazda Fusion and the Volvo 500/Taurus, giving you the choice of Too Small or Too Expensive.

The automakers need to revisit their priorities and give American shoppers what they want - 18+ cubic feet of storage with split folding seats, 38+ inches of rear legroom (and headroom!), shoulder room closer to 5 feet to fit three real size adults without being too cozy, and a reasonable 4 cylinder powerplant whose power rating is listed only as "sufficient". We don't need a 0 to 60 under 6 seconds. Price it in the low 20s and it'd sell.

History shows us how brutal the car market can be. Other segments of the market have ridden the same roller coaster - from red giant to white dwarf to black hole.

The pony cars of the '60s. Every brand had at least one, and some had several. Today? Dead, except for Camaro/Challenger/Mustang, and maybe the Toyota 86. They do sell but not in the volumes seen 50 years ago. Stage - White Dwarf.

Then the '70s brought us the Personal Luxury Coupe. Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Cutlass Supreme, Regal, Eldorado, Toronado, Riviera, Elite, Thunderbird, Cougar XR7, Mark IV, Cordoba, Charger SE, Concord, and so forth. Padded vinyl roofs with opera windows. Crystal hood ornaments. Doors almost 5 feet long. In the late 70s, the Olds version was the best selling car in the US. Today? Who sells one anymore? Stage - Black Hole. Dead segment.

The '80s brought us the minivan. Caravan, Voyager, Aerostar, Windstar, Astro, etc. Sold in the millions. Today, they're still around, but... You know those nightmares you have about performing on TV and suddenly realizing you forgot to put your pants on? They have been replaced by nightmares of being seen by people you want to impress and then realizing you accidentally bought a minivan. Personally, I'd drive a minivan if I needed one, because I don't worry about what other people think. Most of them are idiots anyway. They should be more worried about what I think about them. But too many buyers do worry about minivans being a mom-car, so sales are just a shadow of their former glory. Stage - White Dwarf.

The sedan may someday be a car that is fondly recalled and admired just the old 60s muscle cars or the Corinthian Leather-lined coupes of the 70s, with people asking why they don't build cars like that anymore.
    Right now, the crossover is in the Red Giant phase - blown up to way beyond what it was even during the early 90s SUV fad. But it too will fade eventually when people find the next big gotta-have car.
    I look forward to being a cranky old coot in the distant future, parked there in front of the starin' window at the old folks home, poking others inappropriately with my Hurry-Cane, and marveling at the old Equinox driving by. "Boy, I remember them back in the day! There were dozens in every parkin' lot. That's back when cars only cost about 30 thousand." After the fond memory, I would need to resume yelling at the television set and complaining about the food. Ah, the joys of being an old fart. I can't wait.

17. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Sedans still sell in fairly high volumes. I don't see that segment going away anytime soon. The bigger issue is that car makers have a much higher gross margin for crossovers and SUV's which is an extra incentive right now on top of higher demand. But I could imagine both could change long-term.

There are some things carmakers could do to make sedans more attractive instead of bread and butter. E.g. this model again could have been a hatchback which would have made it more practical (cost 300-500 more?).

Sonata sales don't look that great anymore, but I noticed many forget that we also have the Kia Optima sister car. If you add up both then sales are not that far off from the top volume sedans.

xcel, BillLin and MaxxMPG like this.
  18. xcel

HI All:

A little more non-News for the all-new 2020 Hyundai Sonata.

[​IMG]

Hyundai Motor Company will unveil the all-new Sonata 1.6 Turbo at the 2019 Seoul Motor Show.

The all-new Sonata's 180 hp 1.6L Turbo can be specified with an 8-speed AT. This new Sonata variant also features a range of sporty and sensuous design enhancements that complement the vehicle’s performance capabilities. I have no idea what they are speaking about here?

The exterior of the Sonata 1.6 Turbo is highlighted by Hyundai Motor’s first ‘Parametric Jewel’ grille, a wide design element which is flanked by air ducts beneath the headlights that channel air efficiently through the bumper and across the face of the wheel to reduce drag. At the rear there is a unique wing-shaped rear spoiler that aids stability at higher speeds, an exclusive rear bumper, and twin-tip exhaust mufflers. The sporty silhouette and balanced proportions of the vehicle – with a lower roofline and longer wheelbase compared to the previous Sonata model – echo those of a four-door coupe.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  19. EdwinTheMagnificent

This car is beautiful.

20. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

I very much like the styling and further improvements and refinements.

xcel, EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.