This may be the end of the road for my FEH...

Discussion in 'General' started by 08EscapeHybrid, Feb 11, 2019.

?

Do you think they will total it?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2019.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I've had my FEH for 8 years, and I've put about 90,000 miles on it. I love it and had plans to take it to 200,000 miles, but over the weekend, someone fell asleep driving down my street, and I fear she may be totaled. The rear control arm is snapped in two, and the rear wheel is not pointing straight anymore. I think that might be the kiss of death.

[​IMG]

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Sorry to hear that, Jay. Like losing an old friend, I'll bet.

08EscapeHybrid and BillLin like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

That'll buff right out.

08EscapeHybrid and BillLin like this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

:D

BillLin likes this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Sad to hear about the damage... on the positive side, it's a great time to get into something even more efficient for the next 10-20 years, and it should be a buyer's market.

6. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Well, right now I'm not in the financial situation to buy a something significantly newer than the FEH. I really enjoyed the FEH, and there really isn't another 4wd compact SUV on the market yet that I like. Supposedly for 2020 the Escape and Explorer hybrids are supposed to be released.

I have a few options on the table...

I'll probably get $8000 to $10000 if totaled. In that price range I can shop and get a 10-12 Escape Hybrid with the electric a/c and more aggressive hybrid programming, and a higher capacity pack than my 08 has.

I also see that the VW diesels have taken a beating on depreciation. I can get a nice, low miles VW SportWagen TDI for under $10K. My only reservation about that is I hear that maintenance on the VWs is expensive.

I also see that Ford C-Max's are cheap. I could buy one as a stop gap and drive for a couple years until something really tickles my fancy.

My other option is to just take the insurance money and put it in the bank. Go back to daily driving my pickup truck until a great deal comes up on a car that I love.

The insurance adjuster is looking at it tomorrow, so I'll know more about if they're going to try and fix it, or total it then.

BillLin likes this.
  7. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

8. BillLin

I think that's pretty good residual value. Amazing. An acquaintance bought a used FEH a couple years ago. I was surprised to see one, but I guess they keep on ticking until someone runs into them. :(

Absolutely, or even one of the plug-ins to get a taste of BEVs.

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  9. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

So the verdict is in, I'm getting about $6,000 for it. I'm going to have to fight for a bit more, because all the comps I can find are in the $8,000 to $9,000 range.

Yes Bill, I was thinking about a C-Max Energi as they run about the same price used as the Hybrid model. A few of my clients at work have free charging stations in their parking lots, so I can get some charging in, but not much. I can't really plug in at home because I would have to run the cord across the sidewalk.

I do have a question though... Is there any downside to just driving an Energi as a regular hybrid? I regularly drive in the mountains, so it would be nice to coast down a mountain and fill up that big battery with regen power.

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  10. BillLin

I don't see any down sides from a driving and efficiency standpoint. If you can live with the raised load floor in the Energi compared to the hybrid model (EPA says 5 cubic feet of lost space), then there's only goodness to be had by going with the plug-in. You can drive it purely as a hybrid if you're so inclined. I would expect the Ford engineers have accounted for the possibility of drivers that never charge the plug-in battery. Keep some charge in it to give yourself the most flexibility to use EV mode to your advantage. The Energi also allows for higher electric-only mode so engine off coasting at higher speeds is easier to achieve in my opinion. This is true of other plug-in vehicles versus the hybrid-only versions, such as the GEN3 Prius and plugin.

The EPA rating in the 2017 is 39 vs 40 in favor of the hybrid. I don't know if that holds true in real world driving. The average was usually over 40 in the Energi while I had one, except for long distance HIGH speed runs. Then, it was closer to 40 MPG. The C-MAX is somewhat tall so not so good on the highway. Oh, and the tires can get expensive to replace. 225/50R17s.