Month of January 2019 (Nat’l avg $2.257)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind and the fourth monthly thread and the first one of 2019 :D

The national average gas price is down 22¢ since last month at $2.257 - this time last year it was $2.486 so it's 9.2% cheaper.

Diesel back below $3, down 17.3¢ at $2.989. It's now 11.9¢ cheaper than this time last year but at a massive 32.4% premium to regular!

E85 is back below $2 at $1.985 - a year ago it was $2.093.

Gasoline demand is expected to dwindle during the month of January, an expected change following the busy holiday travel season. At the same time, OPEC will begin production cuts on January 1, with hopes that the shift in global supply will push oil prices higher. The effectiveness of the cuts will likely not be known until later in the first quarter.

“All eyes are on OPEC to kick off the year,” said Jeanette Casselano, AAA spokesperson. “Many are waiting to see if they stick to their promise to cut crude production by 1.2-million b/d and if the proposed cuts will be enough to restore balance to the market.”

Over the past few years, OPEC and partnering countries have demonstrated a strong resolve to comply with proposed cuts in production. It is likely that the cartel will reconvene in April, and if there is a need to further balance global supply and demand, OPEC will likely tweak current production numbers at that meeting.

PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  2. Gord

Back to work this morning, 2UP, quiet roads, cooler 39°F, cross/headwind NNW4:
    47.7 (FCD 50.3) / 22.6

New tank at 49.4 (FCD 52.0) / 27.8 / Range 575 . Guess gauge F««««|««««E . UG at 51.7 / DTE 671

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks for starting the thread, Gord. Today , 28 deg F , 35.1 miles , 56.54 MPG.

Tank is at 437.1 miles , 55.99 MPG , three pips remaining.

BillLin, PaleMelanesian and Gord like this.
  4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

46F and drizzle here to start the new year. School doesn't start until next week.
    69.3 mpg / 5.2 mi.
    Tank is 50.8 / 243 mi. F__\__|____E

EdwinTheMagnificent, BillLin and Gord like this.
  5. Gord

Going home last night, 2UP, still quiet roads as schools not back until Monday, amazingly made it to motorway, 41°F, cross/tailwind NW2:
    45.4 / 22.4 - better than a normal Wednesday and a lot quicker at under 45 minutes including car-pooler drop-off.

To work today, 2UP, another reasonable run for a cold winter's morning - a few more full stops than yesterday, 38°F, cross/headwind NW2:
    46.9 / 22.5

Tank down 2.0 at 47.4 (FCD 49.9) / 72.7 / Range 575 . Guess gauge F««««|««««E . UG down 3.3 at 48.4 / DTE 581

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

Filled up this morning at usual Shell ( Circle K ) on Eola Rd , now re-opened after about 5-6 weeks of ?
    I almost could have done a 70 mile round-trip today ; the FCD showed 52 miles left. I decided it would
    safer to fill. Plus , they were giving it away for $2.199/gallon. :) 508.8 miles /9.026 gallons = 56.37.
    Or...........fcd = 60.1 x .93 = 55.89 MPG. I think I will try to use this same pump next time and see if
    they monkeyed around with the calibration on the pump.
    Cuz if you look hard enough , you can find a conspiracy anywhere.

BillLin likes this.
  7. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

You can look here ...
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/1504331-any-real-differences-gas-quality-brand-4.html

I've seen some large swings in mpg from filling at different shell stations. I'd suspect the fuel mix before I'd suspect the pump calibration.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    BillLin and Gord like this.
  8. PaleMelanesian

50.2 / 5.8 - home last night, still raining
    64.8 / 5.2 - this morning, mostly dry

Tank is up to 51 / 270 mi. F__\__|____E

BillLin and Gord like this.
  9. Gord

Going home last night, 2UP, a traffic issue on motorway meant it was back to detour #2 which was busy, colder 36°F, tailwind W4:
    38.9 / 22.4 - back to normal rubbish.

To work this morning, 2UP, best run of the week :D, 37°F, mostly headwind WSW6:
    48.3 / 22.5

Tank down 1.7 at 45.7 (FCD 48.1) / 116.0 / Range 555 . Guess gauge F««««|««««E . UG down 1.3 at 47.1 / DTE 520

BillLin likes this.
  10. Gord

Going home lunchtime today, fairly quiet - made it to motorway, 41°F, tail/crosswind WNW6:
    45.3 / 22.5

Tank down 0.1 at 45.6 (FCD 48.0) / 138.5 / Range 530 . Guess gauge F««««|««««E . UG down 0.3 at 46.8 / DTE 494

BillLin likes this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

That's something I should consider. Also , why do they show the Shell logo , but the word "Shell" is nowhere to be found ?
    Maybe there's a reason they call it Circle K and not Shell. Maybe I will switch to BP ( now slowly being re-named Amoco ).

Gord and BillLin like this.
  12. rossbro

rossbro Well-Known Member

Regular gas, Myrtle Beach, 5 Jan, 2019, a buck eighty four !

EdwinTheMagnificent, Gord and BillLin like this.
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 42 deg F , 35.1 miles , 57.57 MPG. Tank is at 212.3 miles , 57.29 MPG.
    Expecting fair amount of rain today , plus I need to make two long stops on the way home.
    I might get home by 7:00.

14. PaleMelanesian

Busy day yesterday. At least it was warm and dry. 40's and 50's.

58.5 / 5.3 - to church. Warming up my bass for playing in the band, bam! broke a string. I did NOT have spares. :rolleyes:
    54 / 5.4 - home for strings
    60.5 / 5.4 - back
    51.3 / 5.6 - home

Then this morning 59.7 / 11.5 to school and work.

Tank is 51.5 / 322 and just above 1/2.

EdwinTheMagnificent, Gord and BillLin like this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today 37 deg F. 35.1 miles , 58.03MPG. Tank sits at 283.0 miles , 57.29 MPG.

16. PaleMelanesian

Working from home today. 55.x mpg / 15 miles to drop the kids at school and then go back home.

17. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 19 deg F , wind in Wood Dale is ESE 13-23. Brrrr.
    35.1 miles , 51.99 MPG. Tank is at 350.2 miles , 56.92 MPG.

18. PaleMelanesian

Back to work. 55.1 / 11.5 mi taking kids to school.

Tank is right at 1/2 full, 51.8 mpg / 353 mi.

19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 14 deg F , not so windy. 16.3 miles , 55.15 MPG.
    Tank is at three pips , 417.0 miles , 56.64 MPG.

20. Gord

Am I glad it’s been car pooler’s turn to drive this week! 4 journeys home - 4 different ways :eek:
    Have a great weekend everyone :D

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.