Potential 2008 altima- CVT transmission 4 cyl

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by phoebeisis, Dec 28, 2018.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Help
    Been gone a while
    busy sub teaching-

I had/have 1998 suburban-perhaps 13-15 in pure city-depending on my level of effort
    I only P&G is with MOTOR ON-too tricky with motor off
    - and 2006 Prius (son drives) I get 50 plus in city-no effort

Just bought-brother price-$500-a 2008 4 cyl altima-with the CVT trans-and a 4 cyl
    Questions
    1) what sort of mpg-"just driving- in city-seems to be 22+ in pure lots of stops city driving
    2) it doesn't seem to "glide" when I life off at 35 mph-the suburban-immediately glides in D when you lift off and speeds under 45 mph-
    It seems to retain "engine braking"
    3-is it safe-for trans-to put it in N and glide
    It has the unusual CVT trans-I think that it has some sort of tooth belt that goes up and down two conical geared cones-might be wrong on this??

Anyway what should I expect-and any reason to not put it in N when gliding

The display shows MPG-and all sorts of useful info

Thanks
    Charlie

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Congrats on your new ride. Good to see you in here again, Charlie. I'll watch this thread with interest. Sorry, I don't have any info on the things you can safely do with this CVT. For myself, I'd just go ahead and do it. It's not like you'd be rolling down a long hill for miles and miles at high speeds. My only concern would be lubrication, and I can't imagine that to be an issue for a few seconds in city traffic.

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

That's a toothless belt---sort of a metal V-belt, running on variable-diameter pulleys. Have you tried any N-glides? I'd be wary. Those are notoriously trouble-prone at best.

How many miles on it? Has the CVT fluid been changed?

My nephew had the 2007 version, the Altima's last year of conventional automatics.

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Hi Charlie. If you have access to the owner's manual , look to see if the car is "flat-towable".
    If so , you should be able to glide in N ( engine-on ). If someone else has direct experience with
    this CVT , please chime in. If it doesn't seem to go back into D smoothly , stop doing it ! My experience
    is based on my 2008 Civic 5AT , which was very understanding about going back into D.
    RedylC94 has some good ideas.

RedylC94 and BillLin like this.
  5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Thanks all
    "just 135,000 miles" wow-when I was a kid-cars engines were absolutely done at 75,000 miles-now mid 100,000 is "not a lot of miles"

Bill-hmmm-I'm a chicken-but I did try it a little-engine braking immediately drops to zero

Ready-yeah I looked up the history on those CVTs-bad enough that I woulod never have bought one- EXCEPT for $500-in decent shape-AC working-good body-and I know the history-brother's car-
    Now the 2008 has the "best record" on the CVTs" average CVT failure 125000 miles-which seems BAD-but?? some years were 65,000-so

Edwin- whooo-just looked at the MANUAL- No flat towing allowed-"damage CVT no lube etc"

Well just as well-I need to pay plenty of attention to my driving-too many TEXTERS

At city speeds the display indicates 60 mpg as soon as I lift off-but I can feel the engine braking, so... not like the ancient Suburban which immediately seems to freewheel when you lift off

Thanks all
    Charlie