Month of December 2018 (Nat'l Avg 2.493)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind and the third monthly thread and the last one of 2018 :D

The national average gas price is massively down 30.8¢ since last month at $2.493 - this time last year it was up to $2.490 so it's actually marginally cheaper -0.4¢.

Diesel is only down 11¢ at $3.172. It's still 33.2¢ more expensive than this time last year and at a 27.2% premium to regular!

E85 is down to $2.178 - a year ago it was $2.065.

Yesterday, Columbus gas prices dropped below $2.00. AAA and Gas Buddy are reporting gas prices are at their lowest in metro Columbus since February.

"I was over here in this neck of the woods and I get updates on my phone about the lowest gas prices, well it said 'Get Go' had gas for $1.99 and I didn't believe it. So I had to come over here and see for myself. I thought it was a mis-glitch on the phone. I got over here and a $1.99, couldn't be any happier," said Josh Arledge.

AAA says there are a couple of reason for the low prices. Crude oil prices have dropped 20 percent since the beginning of November. That's because we have a global supply surplus of crude oil. Second, we are at the time of year when we typically see lower gas prices. That's because refiners have finished up their fall maintenance and are running at nearly full strength. Also, they are making the cheaper winter blend of gasoline. Third, demand is lower because we are past the busy summer driving season. With abundant supply of crude oil and gasoline and lower demand, we see the prices drop.

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

E10 87 was selling for $2.039 in my neck of the woods , er , giant metro area.

Much cheaper in rural areas , I'm guessing.

BillLin and Gord like this.
  3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

$1.948 here on Thursday. (I haven't been out to look since.)

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 32 deg F , slight headwind. TPMS light was on this morning , less than six days after
    Discount Tire installed my new tires. Coincidence ? Not really happy about this. Even though
    I had an appointment last time , I waited 25 min before I could even talk to a human. With no appointment today ,
    how long will I wait ? Maybe this time I can get 40+ psi in them.
    15.5 miles , 57.10 MPG. Tank is at 328.9 miles , 54.22 MPG.

5. Gord

Had a couple of bike rides this weekend, 35 miles Saturday afternoon and 33.9 Sunday morning. First ones for 3 weeks since I fell off!

Sunday lunchtime, went to eldest daughter's 4UP - called in at fish & chip shop on the way, 58°F, cross/tailwind SW14:
    48.3 / 18.3
    48.8 / 18.4 - head/tailwind SW13

This morning, no detours, mild 51°F, some drizzle, headwind W7:
    48.5 / 22.6

Tank up 0.3 at 45.5 (indicated 47.9) / 525.4 / Range 85 . Guess gauge F____|__««E . UG up 0.2 at 46.2 / DTE 98

Lost 6th pip @ 490 miles

BillLin likes this.
  6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Posted in the other thread. Oops. I picked up an air compressor on sale last week. It takes a minute to top up all four tires now. :D

Gord, BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

I still need to fix my air compressor. It should work fine after I replace the original cheap , brittle , cracked hose.
    Did not check my tires Saturday because I could not find my gauge. I will lean on Discount Tire to give me the right
    pressure when I go there tonight.

Gord, BillLin and PaleMelanesian like this.
  8. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Good luck with your tire woes, Edwin.

I picked up a battery-powered tire pump before it went on sale for $20 less recently on Amazn. Very handy. Hard to get power in some areas of the property so the battery power is more useful than my wired compressor. Pumped up the tires on my weed cutter and snow blower. Also pumped up the low tire on a contractor friend's HD trailer when I saw it was low. There's a built-in pressure gauge with auto shut-off, again, very handy.

My wife and I took a trip to Myrtle Beach in November. We enjoyed the 60-70 deg temps and mostly sunny days. There was snow and sub-freezing weather at home during that period. Heavy rains on the drive back starting in Maryland and all the way home. Average for the drive was 50-55 MPG indicated (Prius Prime), so probably a few MPG lower. Not too bad for the mostly high-speed highway trip with 2 people and the car fully loaded. (I had to use the backup camera extensively.) Gas prices were between $2.10 and $2.20. I only topped up the battery once while down there at an outlet mall, and I never let the battery go below 30%. A couple of Teslas (Models X and 3) joined in. I helped the Model X get the ChargePoint charger going as they weren't members. (There were Tesla chargers not too far away but I wanted to help the elderly couple without too much bother.) 3-month EV newbies. Good to be back and catching up on my reading. :)

EdwinTheMagnificent and Gord like this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

I ended up going to several gas stations until I found a pump that wasn't being used ( and actually looked functional). I ended up at Mariano's ( the supermarket)
    gas station. Their new-fangled pump didn't seem to respond to my plastic , so I talked to the attendant , who was extremely helpful. He turned it on in the manual ( free )
    mode and walked out there with me to make sure it was working. I set the pump to 40 and filled all four tires to 40. I might not go above 40-42 psi until any chance of snow is gone , then up to 51 psi. The Hankooks are still very sticky , but I'm sure they'll be nicely broken-in by spring. (approx. 2K miles/month).

Today , 29 deg F , 15.4 miles , 59.06 MPG. The biggest battle now is maintaining coolant temp. I have a small part of the grille blocked , but I know I should do more.
    Tank is at 369.3 miles , 54.22 MPG.

BillLin, Gord and PaleMelanesian like this.
  10. PaleMelanesian

53.6 / 5.0 - home last night
    58.5 / 14.5 - round trip to school and home, pick up a kid after an event. Nicely warmed up.
    51.8 / 11.5 - school and work this morning, frosty

Tank is up (!) to 51.0 / 441 mi.
    F____|__/__E

11. Gord

Not great last night, detour #2 then another detour on second half to avoid massive queue on new roadworks near home, 40°F, tailwind W4:
    38.1 / 22.2

After evening meal went to supermarket then filled up - I could have stretched it another day but I wouldn't have made 600 miles anyway.
    51.1 / 4.2

Tank Stats

Miles on tank: 551.8 miles
    GallsUS: 12.24
    Calc. MPG : 45.1 MPG
    Calc. Range: 60.7 miles (allowing for extra in tank)
    FCD Range: 45
    FCD MPG : 47.1 MPG (5.44% over-report)
    UG MPG : 45.9 MPG (1.83% over-report)
    No. of trips: 27
    Average trip length: 20.4
    Average speed 27mph
    Driving time on tank: 20hrs 02mins
    Days since last fill: 26
    Commuting: 74.6%
    Ave. Temperature: 45.2°F
    Ave. no. of people in car: 2.17
    Pmpg for the tank: 97.7

Gas station to home:
    41.0 / 3.9

This morning, 2UP, no detours, freezing 32 to 36°F, headwind W7:
    45.8 / 22.5

New tank at 44.8 (FCD 47.2) / 26.4 / Range 565 . Guess gauge F««««|««««E . UG at 48.9 / DTE 634

12. Gord

Last night, detour #8, too much stop/start/crawl, 39°F, crosswind S2:
    39.1 / 23.0 - rubbish :(

This morning, 2UP, no detours, heavy rain hampered coasts, 40°F, tail/crosswind ESE12 helped in places:
    45.8 / 22.5

Not a great start to this tank - down 1.8 at 43.0 (FCD 45.3) / 72.0 / Range 555 . Guess gauge F««««|««««E . UG down 3.8 at 45.1 / DTE 537

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

At least when a tank starts off poorly.............there's nowhere to go but up.

Today , 25 deg F , 35.2 miles , 54.78 MPG. Tank has two pips remaining , 438.7 miles , 54.41 MPG.

I may try to stretch this tank a little. My preferred Shell , or as they call 'em in my neck of the woods , "Circle K" , is closed
    due to construction. I am free to fill up anywhere I want or need to. And I'm taking the scenic route home today and tomorrow.
    That means no highway , so I will pass a thousand gas stations. I think I can go 40 miles past "zero" miles remaining , even in this
    cold weather.

BillLin, Gord and PaleMelanesian like this.
  14. PaleMelanesian

Detour on the way home, to a friend's house to pick up something.
    51.3 / 9.3

Light frost this morning.
    56.9 / 11.8

Tank is up again, to 51.3 / 473 mi.
    F____|__/__E

BillLin, Gord and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 31 deg F. 35.2 miles , 58.50 MPG. One pip remains on the tank . not flashing. When I got home last night , it still showed 84 miles of range.
    After 35.2 miles today , it showed 37 miles left. I'm guessing that the range is based on the most recent trip , not tank MPG. But I still have enough to
    get home , especially if I take the scenic route. 507.4 miles , 54.96 MPG. Light frost this morning , hard ICE yesterday morning.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  16. Gord

Didn't think it could get worse going home but last night was very slow - bad traffic everywhere, ended up on detour #2 followed by the A57 detour through Swallownest I haven't been on in years to avoid another queue! 51°F, tail/crosswind WSW6:
    37.7 / 20.2 :(

[​IMG]

The A57 (part 2-lane bypass) should be faster...:rolleyes:

This morning, 2UP, no detours, much better - nice to see over 50 on the FCD again :), mild 51°F, head/crosswind SW9:
    48.5 (FCD 51.1) / 22.5

Tank down 0.1 at 42.9 (FCD 45.1) / 114.8 / Range 520 . Guess gauge F««««|««««E . UG down 0.4 at 44.7 / DTE 489

BillLin likes this.
  17. EdwinTheMagnificent

Gord, it's amazing that you can get the excellent numbers you do while driving in that mess in a non-hybrid car.

But it does have stop/start , right ?

18. PaleMelanesian

It warmed up a bit here, temps in the 50's.
    57 mpg home
    55 to work this morning

Tank is up another tick to 51.5 / 494 mi, down below 1/4.

19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 16 deg F in Wood Dale IL , possibly 14 out in my neck of the woods. No wind to speak of.
    35.2 miles , 51.99 MPG. Tank is at 39.2 miles , 52.45 MPG. Filled up at Meijer just before my workout last night.
    Not Top Tier , but super convenient and I don't think one tank will break my car. $2.299 for 87 E10.
    537.4 miles , 9.675 gal , fcd 59.5 x .93 = 55.33 MPG. The bar is set pretty low , hopefully next tank is better !
    I do have female passengers in the car tonight and Saturday , I imagine they will require heat. Oh well.

20. Gord

Detour #8 last night - very bad crawling traffic in places - took 30 minutes to go first 7 slow miles, mild 54°F, head/tailwind SW9:
    40.7 / 23.2 - stop/start system started working after 2 miles and saved it from being even worse...

Tank down 0.5 at 42.4 (FCD 44.6) / 138.0 / Range 490 . Guess gauge F_«««|««««E . UG down 0.5 at 44.2 / DTE 460

Lost 1st pip @ 131 miles

I shouldn't need to drive the commute again this year - car pooler owes me a day and its his turn next week. We finish for Christmas break on 14th.

BillLin likes this.