2019 Prius Gaining Traction Just Weeks From Today

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 9, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Are you ready for snow?

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – November, 9 2018

2019 Toyota Prius

[​IMG]

Blasting through the snow in a 121 hp sleigh, oh what fun it is to ride and sing a driving song tonight!

Chicago, IL. -- The season’s first measurable snowfall arrived almost a month early as inch of snow fell in the Chicago area beginning just after midnight causing extremely slick road conditions and lowered visibility during the morning commute.

O’Hare International Airport experienced an inch
    Midway International Airport saw half an inch
    Ottawa, IL, approximately 50-miles WSW of Chicago experienced 2 inches
    Libertyville, IL, approximately 40 miles North of Chicago received 1.8 inches

Later this evening, wind gusts up to 35 mph could drive wind chills into the teens.

With the first snow in Chicago, Toyota has something new and exciting for Prius fans worldwide regardless of snowy or slick roads. From the continuing 2016, 4th gen Prius review discussion, something rather interesting was introduced. I can neither conform or deny if that is what is headed our way but it is pretty clear that …

The new 2019 Prius will be introduced via livestream at this year’s 2018 LA Auto Show’s AutoMobility LA on November 28th at 11:05 a.m. PST through the following: 2019 Toyota Prius Reveal

TheStepChild and BillLin like this.
  2. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Yes, with all the snow it would be so nice to have AWD. Too bad Toyo does not offer a Prius with motors on the back wheels as well. (*Cough cough*)

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

The Prius in the snowy photo has that super-useful roof rack , you know , in case you need
    to carry some 4 x 8 sheets of plywood up there. Is that even a Toyota accessory ?
    Who here would put one on their Prius ?

4. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

They do.
    In Japan.
    Going to be disappointment if this tease isn't the announcement of it coming to North America.

5. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

They have AWD in Japan and I guess soon here??

Again the most important question! Will it be tow rated??

6. Trollbait

There won't be a tow rating for the US. The 750kg tow rating in other markets is under much different trailer specifications than are in the US. Here, it would at least be half that.

7. xcel

Hi Edwin:

I see Gen IV Prius' with add-on roof racks out here in CA far more times than I care to see. I am not sure how they are installed, just that they are installed. Only once do I remember seeing one carrying a pair of surf boards. Otherwise, they are small parachutes into the wind. :(

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. Trollbait

In the photo, the racks look like the type that clamp on.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  9. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

The Prius only has 5.1" ground clearance. (about as low as you can go, imo)

Dealing with snow or mud or off road anything ---- I'd take 8"+ ground clearance and FWD over 5.1" and AWD.

/it's too bad adjustable air suspension adds so much cost and maintenance liability, seems like someone could come up with a better solution, ... but the manual adjustment on the subaru brat is the only attempt I'm aware of.

10. Trollbait

The air suspension might also add weight

The system on the Prius is a low power, low speed only that is intended to help launch the car in slippery conditions. Japan was in mind for it. There, they have great snow removal, but don't salt roads; it's one of those resources they would have to import. That is also why the first Tacoma/Hilux had issues with the bed rusting out when brought to the US.

BillLin, Carcus and xcel like this.
  11. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

CD says no mpg change and maybe a $1700 upgrade. No doubt, Toyota would/will get some takers on that.

I suppose it's horses for courses, but I had something a little more like this in mind:

This Foreign City Is Filled with Toyota Priuses—Some of Them Lifted with Off-Road Tires
    Certain regions have a high volume of a particular vehicle but this one is by far the most interesting.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/mongolia-toyota-prius-population-off-road

/probably kiss the 50+mpg away with the mongolian mod, though

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    BillLin, Trollbait and xcel like this.
  12. thunderstruck

This is what they should offer since pick ups are the in thing nowadays..
    [​IMG]

13. Trollbait

I don't see the system itself adding much weight, and it only works at low speeds, so any MPG penalty would likely disappear in the rounding error.
    At least in Japan, it is only offered with NiMH, because of the chemistry's better cold performance. If that is true for here, will Toyota exclude it from the heavier trims? I've heard the solar roof option was excluded in such a way in Europe.

BillLin likes this.
  14. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

41/37/39, 8.6 inches ground clearance, AWD, towing capacity (?) -- most likely 1,750 lb. Sounds like the 2019 Rav4 hybrid has got the bases covered.

I'd like to see some steady state numbers (kinda hard to believe they made such big mpg gains from the 2018 model (34/30/32)), but *IF* all the above is true,.. then I'm impressed.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    BillLin likes this.
  15. Trollbait

That is in line with the improvement the XLE Camry hybrid saw. Most of it is coming from the new engine. The US LE did better, but by replacing the ICE model's alloy wheels for smaller steel ones.

BillLin likes this.
  16. xcel

HI All:

I am still working on the final 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid story but it is a 39 mpg combined rating and it is a great upgrade this time around. The Prius as pictured will do a bit better than this but ... The addition of the all-new Camry Hybrid drivetrain to the Avalon, Lexus ES300h and now RAV4 Hybrid has really turned the tables on competitors and what is possible from an SUV.

2019 RAV4 Hybrid

[​IMG]
    A 20-mile RT drive from 450' ASL to the Ocean at 0' ASL and back to 450' ASL.​

Wayne

17. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

A real working coolant temperature gauge ! Nice. They don't believe that the Prius needs one.

Good thing I have my Scangauge.

18. thunderstruck

Good to hear the RAV4 is getting a better drivetrain. Fuel economy needed some help on the current hybrid version.
    Edwin, I love my SG on my Prius. I know exactly what temp coolant has to get to before engine shuts off, how high it has to get when heat is on, and what temp it kicks ICE back on when heat is being delivered to cabin. I watch it like a hawk, and if coolant gets too close to 112 I shut heat off if I'm near my destination so ICE doesn't come back on right before I park.

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  19. xcel

Hi All:

On a day like today in Chicago, an AWD-e would make sense.

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  20. xcel

Hi All:

The former “Let’s Go Places” Toyota Prius tagline is now “let’s go more places, in more conditions” with the addition of new AWD-e system to the 2019 Toyota Prius lineup.

2019 Toyota Prius AWD-e

[​IMG]

The 52/48/50 mpg city/highway/combined rated 2019 Toyota Prius AWD-e system is the most fuel-efficient AWD vehicle available in the U.S. and Toyota expects the AWD-e to make up 25 percent of U.S. Prius sales!

The AWD-e ion-demand system does not require a center differential or front-to-rear driveshaft. Similar to the RAV4 Hybrid layout, the Prius AWD-e uses a third stand alone electric "magnet-less" rear motor to power the rear wheels from 0 to 43 mph. This system provides the power to the rear wheels from a stop, yet the on-demand system recognizes when AWD is not necessary to provide great fuel economy.

2019 Toyota Prius Changes

The addition of the available AWD-e system is only part of the wider revisions to the 2019 Prius, which debuts newly refined front and rear exterior styling that includes an all-new front bumper, headlamp design and taillamp design. The new AWD-e models will also sport new foglamps and an all-new LED accent lamp. The rar received a welcome change form the tallish vertical taillamps while the front end received a not so pretty center point nose.

Inside, the 2019 Prius receives piano black accents around the shifter, on the steering wheel, and on the center console cover getting rid of the poor color mixed white black design of the current Prius. Interior updates also include two additional 2.1 USB ports, finally an enlarged Qi wireless phone charging tray to accommodate larger Samsung S8 and S9+ phones, and a standard heated steering wheel on XLE, XLE AWD-e and Limited models. No sunglass holder however. :(

The 2019 Prius is now labeled L Eco, LE, XLE and Limited instead of the numbers. Prius will also sport two new colors for 2019, Supersonic Red and Electric Storm Blue. The AWD-e model will be offered in LE and XLE grades and will debut with a new 15:" alloy wheel (with cover).

The AWD-e models rely on a Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) battery, since nickel batteries are inherently resilient to extreme temperature change. This provides AWD-e models with excellent battery performance in cold-weather conditions. All non-AWD. FWD Prius models will tout a Lithium Ion battery removing the base outlier non-Eco 2.

The Prius AWD-e models offer 62.7 cu. ft. of carrying space with the standard 60:40 split rear seatbacks lowered. It will also be available with cargo crossbars for roof rack attachments, as shown. Expect that to take a knock out of that highway rating even more. :( The Prius AWD-e XLE features upgraded SofTex-trimmed, heated front seats.

The SofTex-trimmed heated tilt/telescopic steering wheel features surface temperature-regulating properties to help make it feel more comfortable in hot or cold weather. The steering wheel also integrates switches for the Entune Audio system, Multi-Information Display, and Bluetooth hands-free phone controls. :)

2019 Toyota Prius AWD-e Interior

[​IMG]

The Prius comes standard with driver’s door Smart Key System, Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry. The XLE and Limited grades include Standard Smart Key System on three doors. An Adaptive Front Lighting System is available on the XLE grade and is standard on the Limited grade. And, Toyota Safety Connect, standard on Limited models, includes Emergency Assistance, Stolen Vehicle Locator, Roadside Assistance and Automatic Collision Notification and comes with a complimentary three-year trial subscription.

Safety Upgrade -- Toyota Safety Sense 2.0

All 2019 Prius models, including the Prius AWD-e versions, come standard with Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) to help detect a pedestrian, a vehicle, and lane markers and headlights in the surrounding area. TSS-P provides a comprehensive bundle of active safety features including: Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/ PD), Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/ SA), Automatic High Beams (AHB), and the best Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) I have ever driven.

Extras

All Prius models include a 4.2" color Dual Multi-Information Display with customizable screens and an AWD-e system indicator on this version. The std. Energy Monitor, Hybrid System Indicator, Eco Score, Eco Savings Record, Drive Monitor, Eco Wallet, Eco Diary, Climate Control, driver support systems, audio system content, and navigation system content are also standard. An available Color Head-Up Display (HUD) shows the speedometer and Hybrid System Indicator in the driver’s line of sight. I have never warmed up to HUDs and I doubt this one will wow me either.

The standard Entune Audio system for AWD-e models includes the Entune Multimedia Bundle including a smallish 6.1" touch-screen display, AM/FM CD player, 6 speakers, auxiliary audio jack, one USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity and two 2.1-amp USB charge ports, advanced voice recognition, Bluetooth hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming, Siri Eyes Free, and an integrated backup camera display. The Limited grade comes standard with the Entune Premium JBL Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite, with a large 11.6” HD multimedia display.

2019 Toyota Prius Mechanicals

The Prius AWD-e shares the Hybrid Synergy Drive system with other Prius models. The system combines the output of a heavily atkinsonized 1.8L I4 and two motor/generators through an electronically controlled planetary-type continuously variable transmission (CVT). The Electronically Controlled Brake System coordinates control between the regenerative braking and the vehicle’s hydraulic brake force to provide optimal brake performance and feel. The same drivetrain we all know and many of us admire. :)

The Prius' 0.24 coefficient of drag (Cd) is the result of shape, underbody coverings, and an automatic grille shutter reduces drag by closing when airflow to the radiator is not needed. Even the air conditioning system works intelligently to maximize efficiency. The Smart-flow (S-FLOW) mode directs airflow only to seated occupants to conserve energy.

The standard Bi-LED headlamps and LED rear combination lamps reduce energy consumption further while providing better light and a much longer service life. A backup camera comes standard on all grades, and a full-width glass panel beneath the rear spoiler aids rearward visibility. I wish there was a better way for that feature.

2019 Toyota Prius AWD-e - Rear taillamp

[​IMG]

Toyota New Global Architecture

The 4th gen Prius is built on the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) with a high-strength steel body structure, multi-link rear suspension and a lower center of gravity. Aluminum components, include the hood, rear doorframes, and brake calipers. Laser screw welding and advanced adhesives, contribute to structural strength although the amount of these super strong structural adhesives is low compared to competitors.

Toyota’s Prius includes the basic 36-month 36,000 mile basic new-vehicle warranty, 60-month/60,000 miles powertrain and unlimited miles against corrosion with no mileage limitation. The hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 96-months/100,000 miles. Again, competitors have Toyota outgunned on this one.

The Prius also comes standard with two years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first of factory-scheduled maintenance for. A complimentary 24-hour roadside assistance is now three years.

The AWD variant with the new front and rear end will add a little pizzaz to the Prius. Will it be enough to halt the sales slide? That remains to be seen. Pricing will be announced by hopefully next week.

BillLin likes this.