LRR tire for 2012 Elantra

Discussion in 'General' started by schuylkill, Nov 2, 2018.

1. schuylkill

schuylkill Well-Known Member

I have a set of the Ecopia EP422 Plus on the car now that will soon need replacing and I am very unhappy with them. I replaced a set of EP422 that I ran previously and I loved them so figured the Plus would be a smart buy. Wrong. I have about 35K on them and they are near death. I got 60-80K on every other tire I've used on this car except for the original set (have 285K on car.) The EP422s were very quiet and smooth. The Plus set with its new tread design was loud and rough riding. I was disappointed from the start. They did do well in snow when newish but that's all I have good to say on them.

So any suggestions on where to go from here? I don't plan to do much winter driving. I appreciate as quiet a ride as I can get. I'm also looking to get more of a budget tire or at least a deal with rebates, etc. I've been using Discount Tire Online and use their card for financing so tires they offer (there are many) is probably the way I will buy. I have the 15" wheels on the car. Any opinions on the new Hankook Kinergy PT H737? Anyway thanks for looking and break is over.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Looks good on paper. I don't know whether you care about driving in snow conditions or not. I suggest you check additional tire sites for more reviews.

Here's one review on the T-Rack that gives a favorable impression: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=228

Better price and discount on the site you mentioned...

xcel and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I've had good experiences with the Michelin Defenders.

I'm rolling on Goodyear Fuelmax right now. They're good for mpg. Good noise and traction for the first half of their life, but then they get slippery and noisy.

xcel, EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  4. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

I'm due to be shopping soon, too. With nearly 53k on the Sailun Atrezzo 402SHs installed by the dealer, they're getting thin. Size is 195/65-15. I've collected prices for many models from several sources, mostly on-line ones so far. The Hankook you mentioned appears to be one of the best in UTQG (or warranted) tread life per dollar. I have no clue as to its other attributes---or those of any other model, other than ones claimed to be LRR, which all are priced considerably higher.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 9:02 PM
  5. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I really like the Michelin tires that are on our Chevy Bolt EV. They are Energy Saver A/S Green X - you can get them without the self-sealing coating.

They are actually pretty decent in the winter - on the Bolt EV, at least.

6. BillLin

I happen to like the idea of the self-sealing tire, given the lack of spare tires these days, and typically a bottle of goo and if lucky a pump as the only emergency offering. I hope these Michelins work okay in snow... to be seen.

xcel and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Schuylkill:

A few of my own thoughts.

I was considering the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus for my Elantra, now with 68k miles on the OEM P195/65R15 Nexen N Priz AH8 w/ a UTQG of 500 A A. The Nexen N Priz AH8s rears of all things got noisy around 55k miles so I rotated from front to back to even out the wear and possibly reduce noise. With 67k miles of rideshare on them now, I still have 3/32nd front and rear so it is getting close but they are definitely louder than new. Very typical for any tire that is approaching EOL in my experience.

The Ecopia EP422 Plus comes in three different tires in the same size with similar specs. Two are H- or V-Speed Rated w/ UTQG: 640 or 540 A A and the third is S- or T-Speed Rated w/ UTQG of 600 A A. To hear that your set wore out at just 35k would dissuade me from using Bridgestone again. 35k from a tire with a higher UTQG? That has me confused as well.

Every time I have driven the Michelin Energy Saver A/S' in rain or snow on any number of vehicles, I have found their wet traction suspect by comparison to the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus and Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. As in really slick. They are the lowest RRC but are definitely a compromise.

The Hankook KINERGY "PT" and its sky high 860 AA UTQG has me very interested given the possible longevity, Eco focused design, 90k mile warranty, and the price at $79.48 from Tirerack. The GTs with a 540 UTQG A A are one of three OEM tires on my 18 Elantra ECO and the newer PTs appear even better on paper!

WalMart has the Hankook KINERGY PT (H737) in P195/65R15 for an even better $65.96 per tire. Mounting and Balancing adds $12 per tire and about 2 hours of my time which is probably what I am going to do as well.

[​IMG]

There was a $50 Mail in Rebate directly from Hankook on a set of 4 but it ended on September 21st.

IHTHs?

Wayne

8. BillLin

I can confirm some of that slickness from a drive yesterday on wet roads with no standing water. I wondered what was up with that... I thought maybe new tred (4k miles) or the extra torque from the Bolt EV.

EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  9. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

We got our Bolt EV in September 2017, and when the tires are new, at least, they work fairly well. In the snow we got last winter, at least.

EdwinTheMagnificent, BillLin and xcel like this.
  10. BillLin

Thanks, Neil. I'll try to post my impressions this winter.

11. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

WalMart's prices mostly match Amazon's (or vice versa?) on Hankooks. There's a $60 rebate on through November 30.

12. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I've been very pleased with the Michelin Defenders on my FEH. Very smooth and quiet. I've had them about 5 months now.

xcel, PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  13. It's not just the Michelin energy savers that are slick in snow and wet. The LTX M/S lrr tires I had on the last truck were Scarry in the snow.

14. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I never had problems with my old Latitude Tours in the snow. Others had said they had problems though. I think the 4wd on the FEH may have overcame any shortcomings of the tire in the snow. I don't have any snow or ice experience on the Defenders yet, but my niece has a set of Defenders on her CR-V, and she loves them.