2019 Honda CB300R

Discussion in 'Street and Performance Bikes' started by Jay, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I had pretty much given up hope of getting one of these by the end of the riding season. The local dealers weren't getting them in. The nearest dealer that claimed to have them on order was in Salt Lake City, 230 miles away. I would do the trip but summer was fading fast, and they still didn't have the bike. Then the call finally came. They had one--an ABS model. I drove down there, bought the bike, and rode back home, staying off the I-15 and sticking to the slow surface streets and highways all the way home so as to break it in right. What a long day! 3.5 hours down in the car and 6.5 hours back on the bike.

The CB300R replaces the outgoing CB300F. It is a completely new design (except for the engine). It's forte is light weight. Honda squeezed a little more power (about 1.5hp) out of the engine by revamping the intake and exhaust but the big improvement was cutting 30lbs (!) of weight. It's only 317lbs fully fueled! More info about the bike here:

I have three fill ups now and I'm getting low 80s mpg. The gearing is quite short--way too short for a lightweight like me. First is so low I'm done with it in 10 yards. I can easily take off in 2nd. I'm in 6th by 35mph. There's room up front for another tooth. Going 14 t to 15 t would give me 7% higher gearing. It's a no-brainer except that the owners manual cautions against changing gear ratios on the ABS models. Can't imagine why.

[​IMG]

Carcus, TheStepChild and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Jay , that's fantastic ! Honda doesn't even show MPG in their specs. I like this bike , but I
    would get the CBR300R instead.

BillLin likes this.
  3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Would make sense if they're sensing rear wheel speed off that sprocket instead of the wheel itself. I can't imagine why they would do that.

BillLin likes this.
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Edwin, the CBR300R would be a fine bike if you want the fairing and like the sport bike ergos. I'm coming from a Honda VFR750 and I could tolerate the more demanding riding position for about 4 hours. After that, pain would creep in between my shoulder blades and my butt would complain. I spent 6+ hours in the saddle on Saturday on the CB300R and no pain in the blades. My butt did get mighty sore after 4 hours, though. I'm really digging the ergos and styling of this naked bike.

RedylC94, this bike has an inertial measurement ABS, and wheel speed sensors front and rear. I have no idea why the ABS computer would be interested in mph off the countershaft sprocket. I do note that the digital speedometer is 100% accurate at the few speeds I checked against my GPS.

BillLin likes this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

Okay , make mine a CB300R , non-ABS ! I WILL change the gearing.

Jay and BillLin like this.
  6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

So the reason for the warning about changing the drive sprocket is still a mystery? The computer might realize that wheel speed doesn't line up as expected with engine speed and transmission ratio selected, but why would it care, as long as front and rear wheel speeds match?

BillLin likes this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

Jay , I rode my 93 VFR750 16 hours in one day (1000 miles). This required lots of different and
    creative riding positions .But I was just a boy then (41). Not sure if I could or should do it today.

The naked CB300R is looking pretty good to me , based on the huge weight savings (40+lbs) over the CBR.

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Edwin, I rode my VFR just under 1kmi in a single day. I had intended to stay the night in Las Vegas but the rooms were all booked. It was so hot that day that I couldn't grab the brake or clutch levers without burning my fingers! Frustrated with pounding the smoking hot streets of LV looking for a room, I just headed back on the freeway and kept going. and going. When I finally got home I was so tired I couldn't sleep. :)

Anyway, the non-ABS version of the CB300R seems to be in greater supply in the US than the ABS version. I will order the taller front sprocket today.

[​IMG]

BillLin likes this.
  9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Yep. Still a mystery. I have the Helm service manual on order. Maybe it will shed more light on ABS operation. I'll report what I learn.

[​IMG]

BillLin likes this.
  10. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

115 lb lighter than my KLR. Even 5 lb lighter than a CRF250L .... that's impressive.

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

Jay , is a centerstand available ( or standard ) on your bike ? Remember how it was a $$$ option on the VFR ?

BillLin likes this.
  12. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

If the Honda's ABS system is sophisticated enough to account for engine braking, .. then an unexpected gear might not compute (?).

Also, older systems from other manufacturers would be much more of a hindrance than a help once you are off the pavement -- and you had to be double sure that the system was disabled when you transitioned to dirt/gravel.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    BillLin and Jay like this.
  13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Edwin, no centerstand for the CB300R. No swingarm holes to mount the little spools that track stands grab onto to lift sport bikes, either. Harbor Freight makes a rear wheel lift for $32 that looks like it would work:

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-swingarm-rear-stand-65620.html

However, the lift is not well reviewed. Many say they don't hold up over time. The pit bull stands are the top-of-the-line and everybody likes them, but they are about $150 for just the rear. If you can find a used one on Craigslist, that might be the way to go:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pit-bull-standard-rear-stand

I bought Venom stands at Walmart. $50 for the rear or $70 for front and rear. I ordered both stands and I'll let you know how they work. The Venom stands look like they're very strong and hefty, and they are well reviewed. Lots of Utubers have made videos if you want to see them in action.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Venom-Sp...bo-Yamaha-Fits-Honda-Kawasaki-Suzuk/137951151

Carcus, ABS has come a long way for motorcycles since the early days. Honda is using the most sophisticated type of ABS on the CB300R--inertial measurement which is remarkable given that usually IMU ABS is reserved for top-dollar sport bikes and even some of them don't have IMU ABS. That Honda would offer IMU ABS on a $4650 bike and charge only $300 for it makes it a no-brainer in my book. Really looking forward to getting the Helm manual. Then I can see for sure how the speedo-odometer get their speed signal and whether that signal is routed to the ABS computer. It's not a deal killer if it is. I would want to correct the signal anyway.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  14. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Upside down forks on a 317 pound and narrow motorcycle like this - is pretty impressive. Somebody is gonna' make a small rear fender and a license plate mount that isn't sticking waaaaay out there, in a flash.

15. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I got the Helm manual tonight and I've been reading through parts of it. First, let me say this is a nice manual! It's more than an inch thick and at least 300pgs. It's written like the Honda automotive Helm service manuals of old--before Honda went online with subscription services.

The VSS signal is fed to the combination meter between the handlebars and to the ECU. There are connections between the ECU and ABS computer so conceivably there is still a way to convey VSS info to the ABS computer via the ECU. I'll continue studying the ABS.

BillLin likes this.
  16. EdwinTheMagnificent

I had one of those Helm manuals for my Civic Si. Very comprehensive and complete.

It would be nice to be able to change gearing without disabling the ABS. I've never owned/ridden
    a bike WITH ABS , but I have lost control of a bike by using too much front brake in wet weather.
    For $300 , it's a no-brainer.

BillLin likes this.