Stock Showdown of the Century -- short sellers vs Musk:

Discussion in 'General' started by Carcus, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

“Clearly we all believe there’s an extremely low probability he can get that deal done,” he said. “He can’t do it with debt, the financials are too horrible. So it’d have to be equity, and there’s not enough stupid money to buy this company at an $80bn valuation.”

https://www.ft.com/content/829f5802-9b62-11e8-9702-5946bae86e6d

This is history in the making right here, ... so come on cleanmpg'ers .... opinions?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I like Elon , but I think this was an extremely bonehead move. He's opening himself to lawsuits
    and public embarrassment. I'm not a stockholder , but I admire the man and love the cars.
    I hope he can survive this.

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Edwin's right. This was not smart to put out publicly. Especially stating an actual price.

That said, the shares I own are loving it.

4. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

From the dark side ..:

"Elon Musk is a brilliant entrepreneur and visionary, but the Tesla CEO’s vague proposal to take Tesla private at $420 a share is a sham.

The electric car company is struggling to service more than $10 billion of debt and make forecasted capital investments. Tesla TSLA, -1.00% is not likely to have anywhere near the free cash flow needed to support another $24 billion in debt to buy out even one-third of its current shareholders."
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon-musks-plan-to-take-tesla-private-is-a-pipe-dream-2018-08-13

/IF (and I said "if") this is a ploy to prop the stock price up, ... the stories/arguments could go on for years, .. and we may never really find out what "funding secured" actually meant (or didn't mean).

5. PaleMelanesian

Eh. And the gains are gone, back to where it was the week before.

6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  7. PaleMelanesian

That seems a bit overreactive. If there is a lawsuit and the verdict comes back negative, then I could understand some but as of right now Mr Market is overreacting and counter-overreacting. I'm good. I can sit tight and watch. That 195 is where I bought in.

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I think the biggest question in all this is WHY? ... Why in the world would Elon jump up on the twitter stage for this particular "$420 - funding secured" shlt show?

-- most of the answers I can imagine --- aren't good.

/I certainly am not qualified (nor would I want) to give any stock advice.. just think it's interesting -- a juicy chapter in the ol' "car 2.0" book.

9. PaleMelanesian

Oh. JP Morgan's target before this was 200. Now 195. What's the big fuss?

And yes, I know I'm not entirely rational on this since I have money in the fight.