Week of July 23 to July 29 (Nat’l Avg $2.841)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price has dropped back 3.6¢ since last week to $2.841 - this time last year it was only $2.282 so it's 24.5% (+55.9¢) dearer.
    Diesel is down 1.3¢ at $3.156. It's 28.7% (+70.3¢) more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is at an increasing 11.1% premium to regular.
    E85 is down 3.6¢ to $2.396 - a year ago it was still below $2 at $1.980 so it's 21% dearer.

No commute for me today - car pooler driving to make up for his business trip last week :)

Finish this Thursday then 17 days vacation :cool:

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks , Gord. Today , 66 deg F , dry roads (! ) , wind SSE 3-6. 15.4 miles , 78.21 MPG.

Tank is at 110.9 miles , 67.61 MPG. Bought fuel yesterday just before highway trip.

At least I'll have one pretty good tank before a not-so-good tank.

BillLin and Gord like this.
  3. Gord

No problem Edwin :D

Went to pick up youngest from a school trip last night in the Jazz/Fit:
    70.7 / 1.8
    44.3 / 1.8

This morning, 2UP, busier than normal, mild 64°F, crosswind S4:
    49.8 / 22.5

Tank down 1.4 at 52.1 (FCD 54.9) / 61.2 / Range 615. Guess gauge F««««|««««E . UG down 1.5 at 53.1 / DTE 656

BillLin likes this.
  4. Gord

Detour #8 last night, busy, 75°F, tail/crosswind WNW11:
    45.2 / 23.4

Better run this morning, bit of a queue at start of traffic lights section but stop/start worked well, 2UP, 60°F, head/crosswind WNW6:
    51.5 / 22.6

Tank down 2.0 at 50.1 (FCD 52.7) / 107.2 / Range 585 . Guess gauge F««««|««««E . UG down 2.6 at 50.5 / DTE 575

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 69 deg F , dry , wind NE 2-7. 15.4 miles , fcd = 89.8 x .93 = 83.51 MPG.

Tank is at 220.9 miles , 73.19 MPG.

BillLin likes this.
  6. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Wow! Planets must have lined up. Great job.

EdwinTheMagnificent and Gord like this.
  7. Gord

Detour #8 again last night, still busy bet a better run even with headwind E7, 79°F:
    47.6 (FCD 50.1) / 23.4 - nice to get over 50 on the FCD going home.

This morning, 2UP, 65°C, cross/headwind NNW4:
    50.7 / 22.5

Tank down 0.4 at 49.7 (FCD 52.4) / 152.8 / Range 535 . Guess gauge F_«««|««««E . UG up 0.5 at 50.5 / DTE 530

Hottest day this year forecast today - could hit 95°F in some parts of UK, we'll only reach maybe 88°F

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    BillLin likes this.
  8. BillLin

Is that 5-10 °C over your typical warm weather month? It seems warm all over...

9. Gord

Way more Bill - average UK July temperature has typical highs of 23°C / 73°F so 12°C / 22°F over average :eek:

BillLin likes this.
  10. BillLin

That's pretty hellish, Gord. Sorry to hear your lovely isle is going through this climate change. We're used to getting a few days in the 90s, but now it's more often. I'm sure our air conditioning usage is increased to match. I may have to add extra cooling (and heating) capacity if these extremes continue. Our geothermal cooling/heating system has a hard time keeping up when the local ground temperature has no chance to acclimate to our dumping heat into (or extracting heat from) the ground.

...but it's all worth it so we can drive our SUVs and get 20 MPG if we're lucky. Even less when we idle endlessly. Gas is cheap here, so why not? :mad::(

Keep up the good work out there, CleanMPGers!

Gord and RedylC94 like this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

It does happen once in a while.

Today , 61 deg F , wind E 5-8 MPH.
    15.4 miles , fcd = 86.5 x .93 = 80.44 MPG.
    Tank is at 255.5 miles , 73.66 MPG.
    This tank will turn out to be okay , I think. No PR , but
    not bad at all. After getting two tanks of 76 and 75 MPG ,
    I kinda hate to settle for less.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  12. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Water moccasins are scum.

Just spent 3 days in hospital with a snake bite on my left wrist. I'm home now, still with major swelling up my whole arm and I'm taking two different restricted painkillers. I have to keep the arm elevated at all times.

I was digging in a ditch to repair my pond overflow. There was a small tunnel out the side on the ditch where erosion water had flowed. It also contained a snake. I felt the bite first, then saw it. It hit hard, like a punch. Then exploded in fire and pain, like a wasp but much worse.

My kids were working with me. So thankful they were not bitten! Father in law was there and drove me to the emergency room at a high rate of speed.

Antivenom and painkillers and observation at the hospital. My hand swelled up immediately. Then it progressed up my arm. Up and up, all the way to my shoulder two days later. Mostly stable there now.

The pain has shifted to a throbbing ache in my bones. Swelling is down somewhat as well. Just rest and slowly recovering.

13. BillLin

Andrew, I hope you recover well and have no lasting effects. I just read a little on the subject to be dangerous. Gotta give you credit for managing to be bitten by the only venomous water snake in North America. A good tale for years to come I hope.

PaleMelanesian and Gord like this.
  14. Gord

Thanks Bill, we actually hit 91F and records are being broken in the UK for July 98F at Heathrow.

Same from me Andrew, recover quickly! I wondered where you’d gone....ouch!

BillLin and PaleMelanesian like this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 60 deg F , wind ESE 1-4. 15.4 miles , fcd = 88.5 x .93 = 82.3 MPG.
    Tank is at 327.6 miles , 74.86 MPG. Trying hard not to drive this weekend
    after I get home around 1:00. I am planning a 50 mile ride tomorrow morning
    when the sun comes up.

Get better soon , Andrew.

Gord, BillLin and PaleMelanesian like this.
  16. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Yikes. Scary stuff.
    Get well soon.

17. buurin

buurin Little Pig

I just got myself into trucking and have been in Winnipeg for the past 3 weeks for on-the-job training. Oh those trucks are known to get about 7mpg but that's not the point.

This weekend I decided to get a rental car to run errands and do some driving practice again. The past 3 weeks I have been walking to where I need to go... I didn't drive with my usual car all 2200km from Toronto to Winnipeg because I am not actually relocating. The company HQ (where my training is) is in Winnipeg but I will be based in their Toronto terminal.

The rental turned out to be a 2018 Hyundai Elantra GL. 6AT with option to shift manually, rated 8.3/6.4/7.4 L/100km city/highway/combined... 31.8mpg.

Jeez this thing is impressive for a C$40/d rental! Just DWL like I always do and watching the IFCD and AFCD and I'm logging as high as 5.7L/100=41mpg combined and seen mileage as high as 43mpg.

I am still nowhere near as impressive as the elites here (Wayne did 61mpg in an Elantra? For real?) but for someone who struggles in his old car to even meet EPA ratings, I am pleasantly surprised.

I still have about 6 hours left in my rental and I'll see how much better I can do.

Gord, BillLin and RedylC94 like this.
  18. Gord

Sounds like you're doing pretty good buurin :D - enjoy!

I'm currently on vacation in North Yorkhire, UK. Pretty hilly :eek:, great downhill, rubbish back!

Going home Thursday, really warm 91°F, ran AC part of way until hit torrential rain, loads of queues:
    40.2 / 22.3

Saturday morning, 4UP to pub near holiday rental, 61 to 66°F:
    50.6 / 93.6

43.6 / 5.2 - pub to holiday rental.

48.9 / 8.6 - Today to pub for lunch in heavy rain
    26.7 / 0.3 - To nearby supermarket
    35.4 / 7.2 - Uphill back

Tank down 1.4 at 48.3 (FCD 50.9) / 290.0 / Range 355 . Guess gauge F___«|««««E . UG down 2.8 at 47.7 / DTE 355

BillLin likes this.
  19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Didn't plan to drive Sunday , but things happened. Kelly and I finished playing with the Frisbees and we had a hunger for ice cream.
    You can't walk ANYWHERE ( suburbs , ya know ) , so I offered to run home on my bike , get my car , and take us to Dairy Queen. By the time I took her home and went home myself, it was 6.9 miles , 60 MPG. But man , did that Blizzard taste good.

Earlier in the day , I rode the Trek 52.5 miles.

20. buurin

buurin Little Pig

Final tally is in. 32.431L over 508km. That is 6.38L/100km or 36.8mpg. Doesn't look too impressive compared to my own Corolla now (I can get there after a good highway run, not unlike this weekend drive), but I topped off tank beyond first click. Good thing I declined the tank of gas option - I only used half a tank!

And gas prices in Winnipeg are as unpredictable as the weather. I see pump prices from 1.189 to 1.299 C$/L within city limits on the same day!