Backup plan for electrical grid failure?

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by MPGee, Jul 12, 2018 at 7:15 PM.

1. MPGee

MPGee Member

Hi all,

Owners of battery electric vehicles: What's your plan for if/when your area experiences an extended electrical grid failure?

I've only owned traditional ICE vehicles, but recently rented a BMW i3 with range extender. I've really enjoyed driving it, and it's made me consider BEV's. Biggest rub is that I'm not crazy about the idea of owning two vehicles, and I really wonder what would I do if the grid went down for an extended period... Earthquakes are a part of life in Southern California.

Is it possible to charge an EV with a portable electrical generator in a reasonable amount of time? Has anyone tested this?

I'm guessing in a natural disaster, gasoline might be more attainable than electricity - especially enough electricity to replenish a BEV.

-MPGee

Carcus and BillLin like this.
  2. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

An EV can be recharged from a generator. Time depends on generator output and 110V charging restrictions on the EV side. A model S gets 3-4 miles range per hour of 110V charging. A Leaf would be fully charged in 10-16 hours. The BMW i3 in about 20 hours.

You could carry a generator and gas with you and charge any time you were stopped.

Not at all a convenient solution, but it would definitely work.

The i3 range extender, while nerfing the performance, would essentially eliminate the concern.

BillLin likes this.
  3. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

"EV purists" see oil as the enemy,... something that needs to be wiped out immediately, ...
    But oil will most likely be with us for many decades, if not centuries, ... and is not the true enemy.

=== I could go on for a few pages.....
    /I like to think great possibilities lie in the future of efficiency, mixed fuel/power sources, ..and the awesome "power of integration" that we now possess.

//be that as it may (or may not) be, ... oil looks to be in tight supply over the next few years, and any type of "alternative" or efficient transportation may start to look pretty good soon. (m2c)

///and back to your question, .. with today's options -- why not a Honda generator, stored in the garage and started up quarterly just make sure everything's in order?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 5:41 AM
    BillLin likes this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Using a typical gasoline powered generator as a backup for EV recharging would be terrible from a philosophical point of view. It's pretty bad from an efficiency and environmental point of view, too. In case of an extended disaster, just go rent or borrow an ICE car if you want to have an EV as your one and only vehicle. At least there are pollution controls on the ICE car.

I like the idea of a Honda generator if going that route, especially the small ones that have pure sine wave power output. I also prefer gas-powered generators (CNG, propane,...) over gasoline or diesel powered ones.

For those with the means, I'd suggest a fully, off-grid capable system (solar PV, wind power, whatever...) with battery backup.

RedylC94 and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  5. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

How can an ICE car pump gasoline - if there is an extended power outage?

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  6. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

That's not a difficult problem to solve. :)

EdwinTheMagnificent and RedylC94 like this.
  7. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I agree! Ultimate solution is solar with battery backup. Plenty of food, water and bullets and your set!

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.