ScanGauge got heat stroke?

Discussion in 'General' started by brick, Apr 18, 2006.

1. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

This afternoon I went out to my car and found my ScanGauge dead for the second time. It seems that when it sits on the dash under the sun, something bad happens and I can't get it working for that trip by any means. After I drive somewhere and cool down the car I have been able to unplug/plug it back in and get it back working for the next trip. Has anyone else seen this happen? I'm going to "solve" the problem by putting my big solar reflector back in the car to keep direct sunlight off from now on. I'm worried, though, that something else might be going on here. I would hate to find myself without my ugly little friend!

2. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Just happen to me for the first time yesterday when the temp. hit 88 degree F. Inside the FEH was much hotter when I got in. Finally started working when things cooled down and unpluged and pluged it back in. I remember reading a warning to not keep it in direct sun light so I will shade it for the summer weather we're starting to get.

GaryG

3. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

hahah wow i was so pissed off at break time when my scangauge died. Then it came back on and I was like flew... never under the sun again.

Apparently in the user manual it says temps over 80 degrees C will cause the screen to ... something something. Its there but in the end lession is, put your scangauge under your seat!

4. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Alright, glad it's not just mine crapping out for no reason :)

5. AZBrandon

AZBrandon Guest

The owners manual specifically warns against leaving it in direct sunlight. Definitely either get a winshield shade (anyone from Arizona knows what these are) or some sort of ScanGauge shade at least. I used mine all last summer, with days of hitting 110 - 115 degrees without a problem by making sure to never leave it in direct sunlight.

6. gonavy

gonavy Well-Known Member

They're not exactly using milspec components inside that little project box...

7. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

LCD screens don't like intense, direct heat and sunlight. Try using a cheap calculator after leaving it on the dash in the sun. Same affect.

8. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Take a bottle or coke can insulator and cut out the bottom. Then cut it along the side so you can open it up and stick it on top of the Scan Gauge. Looks funny, but my SG has worked fine on the dash since I last posted on this subject. I did hang it so the LCD was shaded a little and the insolator rubber holds it's place just fine with the windows down. You can't hurt the looks of the SG (hope Ron's reading) no matter how hard you try.

GaryG

9. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

I stuck mine in the upper cubby hole in the dash of the Civic. I see no reason to have mine on the dash.

10. tarabell

tarabell Well-Known Member