Hyundai Preps Alabama Manufacturing for Next Gen Elantra/Sonata Engines

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, May 30, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Capital investment of $388 million set for Montgomery Manufacturing Facility.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – May 30, 2018

2018 Hyundai Ioniq “Kappa” design 1.6L I4

[​IMG]
    Atkinsonized and direct injected 104 hp and 109 lb.-ft. of torque 1.6L GDi I4.​

Hyundai announced that it is investing $388 million to construct an engine plant dedicated to manufacturing cylinder heads and enhance existing operations to support production of new models of Sonata and Elantra sedans to come in the future. The investment will create 50 new jobs.

Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama (HMMA) is preparing for the next-generation Hyundai engine, which requires new technologies and components as a part of its assembly process. The capital investment will be spent on equipment for the engine head machining plant and updating technology in an existing engine plant.

It will cost approximately $40 million to construct the 260,000-square-foot building that will house the head machining equipment. Construction on the engine head machining plant is scheduled to be completed in November of this year. This project will free up space to expand engine assembly lines in one of HMMA’s existing engine plants.

The new engine head machining facility will be operational by mid-2019. HMMA produces engines for Sonata and Elantra sedans and the Santa Fe crossover utility vehicle. HMMA’s two engine plants are capable of producing approximately 700,000 engines per year to support the vehicle production at both HMMA and Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia (KMMG) in West Point, Georgia.

HMMA, which started vehicle production in May 2005, is the River Region’s largest private manufacturer with 2,700 full-time and 500 part-time employees.

Hmmm, a new engine family for Elantra and Sonata? The Kappa lineup – I believe they may only be made in Korea – for the Elantra ECO and Ioniq is the brands 40+ percent thermodynamic efficient I4 offerings. Could we see an even more efficient offering from the Hard charging Korean manufacturer?

BillLin likes this.