Week of May 28 to June 3 (Nat’l Avg $2.968)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, May 29, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price has climbed 5.6¢ since last week to $2.968

I’ll let someone else come up with more analysis if they like as I’m in Spain on vacation and my iPad just had a temperature warning so I popped it in the freezer for a minute :eek: so I could finish this off!!

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Thank you, Gord. Appreciate your working during your vacation. Haha. Enjoy!

Bill

xcel and Gord like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today , 68 deg F ( at 5:15 AM ) , wind WNW 1. 15.4 miles , 81.19 MPG.

Tank is at 136.6 miles , 77.47 MPG.

xcel, Gord and BillLin like this.
  4. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Watch thread? Well my daily is a rather aesthetically challenged but amazingly free-of-needing-to-care-for-it Citizen EcoDrive.

Oh, wait, we aren't talking about watches? :D

5. BillLin

My brother goes for the Citizen, too. Me, I like the Casio Tough Solar series. I can't criticize my wife for buying shoes because I own a few of these watches, analog or digital basic and then recently one of the much-too-expensive ProTreks. :)

I haven't done any DC fast charging in many weeks. At first the charger was down, but it's now been fixed and I still haven't been back yet. I get sporadic 1/2 hour to 1 hour charges at an L2 charger near work. Very rarely, I charge from the 110V at home. Charging at 110V would take days if I were to go from empty in the Bolt, *and*, it would be some significant percentage of our solar production. So, I leave that home charging for the wife's Prime where it is typically 1-3 hours at L1 charge rates. She can't be bothered charging while out and about.

xcel, jcp123 and Gord like this.
  6. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Watches are a rabbit hole I could follow for far longer than anyone would care for. But I'll stick to Citizen EcoDrives because they suck to look at but literally need zero care.

If I come into money, an Omega Speedmaster might be something I buy before a car I care about.

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

I can't , or won't wear a watch. I do own some , that were given to me as gifts over the years.
    I find them too irritating to wear. Besides , EVERY device that you see in your home,office, or car has
    a clock in it. That cellphone that is glued to your hand is also a clock. I have a lovely pocket watch
    that I bought in 2001 , but I don't put it in my pocket with my keys , coins, USB's, etc.

Today , another beautiful day for hypermiling. 69 deg F , wind E 0-2. It rained last night, so
    some of the roads were a bit sticky , others were dry. 15.4 miles , 81.65 MPG
    Tank is at 168.9 miles , still 77.47 MPG.

8. BillLin

Nice work, Edwin. You're getting up there in the 80 range seemingly routinely now.

xcel, EdwinTheMagnificent and Gord like this.
  9. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Dunno where “Watch Thread” came from - good old copy & paste!! Like what it clocked up though :rolleyes:

Following recent rises in the cost of crude oil, fuel prices in the UK have risen to their highest levels in almost two years.

Petrol now sits at 124p per litre ($6.24 / gallUS) on average.

One in eight admit they can't afford to fill up their car. And one in 10 only put in enough fuel to get them to where they need to go.

Meanwhile, one in six motorists say the high cost of fuel is making it unaffordable to own a car.

Some drivers are willing to go to great lengths to try and beat the rising cost of fuel. One in eight motorists have said that they will often drive longer distances to search for a cheaper source of fuel.

^
    |

Just madness :p - hypermile people :D

BillLin likes this.
  10. BillLin

Gord, we need (edit: as in the USA needs) those high prices to get people to stop idling their SUVs (and other vehicles). Then again, these same people probably would go the extra mile(S) to get cheaper gas. Sigh...

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  11. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

... and speed on their way to the cheaper gas station so they can get to it before they run out of fuel.

(I've read of police hearing that lame excuse for speeding.)

Gord, xcel, kbergene and 1 other person like this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

Thanks , Bill. When weather is nice like this , I can do pretty good in the morning. Coming home from work , I have to deal with other ,
    you know, vehicles on the road , and my trip MPG may be 5-7 less.

Today , 68 deg F , wind SSE 1-4. 15.4 miles , 82.02 MPG.

Tank is at 199.8 miles , 77.65 MPG.

Gord, xcel and BillLin like this.
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

If they can't afford to fill up their car , and fuel is as cheap as it is..........
    something's wrong. Perhaps their fuel tanks are too large ?

Gord, xcel and BillLin like this.
  14. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I drove from the IL/WI border to the booming Metropolis of Portland, TN just across the KY/TN border on I-65 with the most efficient car in all of America Kicking @$$ and Taking Names. Just a half tank to cover almost 500-miles. 75.4 mpg with a 56 mph avg. speed over 480.6 miles indicated reveals 486.4 actual miles on 6.577 actual gallons for a 74.0 mpg actual result.

[​IMG]

These Hyundai #Ioniq #Hybrids are EFFICIENT! I love it when a road trip comes together with spectacular results like these!

Thanks go out to Hyundai for this weeks exemplary press loaner.

Wayne

Gord and BillLin like this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 69 deg F , wind SSE 1 , NO highway , no traffic ( 4:35-5:10 AM ).
    15.4 miles , 82.4 MPG. Tank is at 232.1 miles , 77.47 MPG.

I am really liking that Ioniq.

16. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Too bad it wasn't around when I was shopping.

17. BillLin

Either they're selling out quickly or there's some supply problem in my area, just from looking in online sales apps. I also see them very rarely on the streets so I'm thinking the supply problem may be more likely. I'm seeing Prii/Prime wherever I look.

Gord likes this.
  18. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 53 deg F , wind NNE 2-9 ( headwind ). I made a few mistakes on the trip in this morning , including missing
    my first glide op , which happens about 0.7 miles from the house and would carry me about 0.6 miles. When
    that happens , I may have to go almost another mile before getting engine to shut off again. And the head wind
    hurt my other glides a lot , too. And the cooler weather didn't help. Okay , I'll stop whining.
    15.4 miles , 73.38 MPG. Tank is at 263.1. miles , 77.28 MPG.

19. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

If you thought your fillups we bad...I do this every few days.

But I did at least get a great shot of sunrise over the Chesapeake Bay this morning, near its southern end around Newport News, VA.

Attached Files:

20. EdwinTheMagnificent

Sunday , I had to do a little driving. 63.7 miles , 74.49 MPG.

But I also rode the Trek 15 miles Saturday and 38 miles Sunday.

Gord, RedylC94 and BillLin like this.