$18,000 Honda Fit EV coming in 2020

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Carcus, May 24, 2018.

1. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

"
    TOKYO -- Honda Motor will team up with Contemporary Amperex Technology, the world's largest battery maker, to develop an electric vehicle that it sees as key to its global strategy.

The project will develop batteries and related technologies to be used mainly in the new electric car, which will be introduced in China and elsewhere by the first half of 2020.

The effort reflects a growing trend toward using Chinese suppliers for important components, amid a global shift to electric vehicles.

The two companies will develop the car based on Honda's Fit minivehicle. The goal is to create an affordable electric car priced at slightly more than 2 million yen ($18,000) equipped with a small battery and having a relatively short range of 300km on a single charge."

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Co...p-with-world-s-largest-battery-maker-in-China

/35 kwh, real world 120 mi would be my guess

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

300 km sounds like at least 186 miles, with my foot. Way more than enough.

One reason I bought my 08 Civic over the Fit was better highway fuel economy. As it turned out, I rarely drive
    on the highway , except to go to work , and even THAT is no highway at this time.

A Fit EV ( or Golf ) would be perfect for me.

BillLin likes this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd buy one if it's available for purchase, not lease and available in not-california.

BillLin likes this.
  4. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Sounds like a car that a lot of people would buy! It would help if we knew what test was used to get the 186 mile range.

BillLin likes this.
  5. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I actually think they can sell the car for a profit at a $20k- ish price point, maybe less.

WILL they sell it in volume to the US market? Probably not anytime soon, unless competition forces them into it. I expect the asian and european markets will take all they can build.*

*most of that world is already at $4 to $7/gallon.. and limited oil production, at best.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  6. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Probably the Japanese all-down-hill-constant-speed-with-a-tailwind test. ;)

Edit: I was curious so I did a search. Not sure how current this is, but it is something. I don't see anything relating to higher speeds, just city tests on a dynamometer.

https://www.transportpolicy.net/region/asia/japan/

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  7. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I was trying to find the NEDC rating was on the first Fit EV, but came up empty.

BillLin likes this.