2018 Midwest Automobile Media Association Spring Rally #MAMA18SR

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, May 22, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] A short trip to attend the best vehicle rally in existance. ;)

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – May 22, 2018

Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI -- This is the beginning of a story, a simple placeholder until I can create the full story. However, the trip from San Diego to the IL/WI border, the first step, looked like this...

I am making my way to the #MAMA18SR at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI via way of the 5, CA 78, 15, 70, 76, 80, 94, 43 ...

If only I had a brighter LED flashlight to light my car and sign properly during this 15-sec exposure from the Sony a6300 with a 19 mm Sigma Prime attached.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Eco

[​IMG][​IMG]
    At the AZ/UT border on the 15 east bound.​

Which do you like best?

2018 Hyundai Elantra Eco

[​IMG]

Not a bad first 515 miles from sea level to 5,379 ft ASL. The Eisenhower tunnel at 11,158 ft. is just a state and three-quarters ahead and it is all downhill from there.

Wayne

#MAMA18SR

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  2. xcel

I stopped at a Rest Area at 7,157 ft ASL in Eastern Utah for a short break.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The above was taken with a 90mm equivalent 60mm Sigma prime with a new circular polarizing filter on my Sony a6300. I liked the sky and Landscape color results so I added it to my 28 mm equivalent. 19 mm Sigma Prime for the second composition. I should have focused on the canyon in the backdrop as it is far more beautiful than any pic I can take.

[​IMG]

Driving the most efficient non-hybrid/non-diesel across the country for the third time this year is a joy. Extremely low Total cost of ownership (TCO) that gets better with these efficient long distance treks.

Going to the 2018 MAMA Spring Rally makes it even better. :)

Next stop, Grand Junction, Colorado!

#MAMA18SR

3. xcel

Hi All:

60+ after refueling in Murrietta, California, 2 more hours of stop and crawl, and climbing over 3,500' to a Shell in Grand Junction, CO just off the 70. The 85 octane fuel here is going to hurt the direct injected and turbocharged 1.4L's efficiency as I cross the Rockies and a portion of NE before refueling with 87 again however. Not bad for a 14 hour drive in a brand new 32/40 mpgUS city/highway rated 2018 $13,842 very well equipped automobile.

[​IMG]

Not quite a full top off on the initial fill as I paid $35 cash to save $0.10/gallon and it was not quite topped off at that amount. Still, 774.2 miles on 12.89 gallons = 60.1 mpg actual vs. 65.8 mpg displayed.

Wayne

#Shell #FuelRewards w/ #InstantGold. #MAMA18SR

4. xcel

Hi All:

There is still some snow at 10,600 ft elev. but it is slim as I am parked at the Vail Pass Rest Area. The 14ers are still fully snow covered however.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a tough 6,000' climb over the last 160 miles with the aFCD at just 51.6 mpg and a 60 mph avg. speed. :(

#MAMA18SR

BillLin likes this.
  5. xcel

Hi All:

A look back at the 11,150+ ft. elev. Eisenhower Tunnel last night. It was a bit cold, foggy, rainy, and the 5,400' climb from Grand Junction still shows you can climb efficiently in a non-hybrid/non-diesel. I opened up an empty 2L Pepsi bottle to store some Eisenhower Tunnel air. The bottle is already 2/3s it's normal size...

[​IMG]

#MAMA18SR

6. xcel

Hi All:

The last refuel before reaching far Northeastern IL... Rain and colder temps took this tank to the woodshed even with the 3,500' total loss of altitude with a climb to Vail Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel in between. [​IMG]

Almost clocked an Elk crossing the 70 200 ft ahead too!!! That would have ruined my day/week/month and probably life!

The second refuel at a Shell in Greenwood, NE.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Eco

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    745.3 mi on 13.521 gal = 55.12 mpg actual.​

Wayne

#MAMA18SR

7. xcel

Hi All:

This is the 5th time crossing the Mississippi this year and I am sure it will not be the last. I wish more were able to see the beauty that open roads in the U.S. provide.

[​IMG]

#MAMA18SR

8. xcel

Hi All:

Almost 2,000 miles in my rear view and just 98 more before reaching tonight's stop on the IL/WI border and Lake Michigan...

[​IMG]

I will be heading through downtown to hopefully catch the Sears tower which will add a few more than 98 miles.

What a great drive and the Midwest Automobile Media Association (MAMA) Spring Rally will make it even better.

#MAMA18SR

9. xcel

Hi All:

I arrived early this morning... 60 mpg indicated/55 mpg actual at 60 mph despite headwinds. Just over $100 in fuel from San Diego to Chicago including the detrimental effects of the the recent fuel price spike and $3.80+ fuel in Southern Calif.

2018 Hyundai Elantra ECO

[​IMG]
    60.4 mpg final tank, 60 mph avg speed over the last 567.8 miles, 58 mph avg speed for the entire trip over 2,087.3 actual miles, and 567.8 miles final tank.​

I gave it a quick exterior wash in the rain as she deserved it after its 2,087 mile trek.

2018 Hyundai Elantra ECO

[​IMG]
    Reached the near final destination and a quick wash in the rain to bring her back to clean.​

Amazing midsize without a squeak or rattle after 24k miles let alone the high end std. amenities - I did not use the heated front seats on this trip - and safety equipment for just $13,848 + TTL brand new this past December. ;)

Wayne

#MAMA2018SR

10. xcel

Hi All:

And here is what Eisenhower Tunnel air - 11,150 ft + ASL - looks like at 640 ft. ASL. ;)

[​IMG]

PV = nRT. Absolute temp is not that far off between 34 and 56 degrees F but is calculable. From 9.45 psi at 11,150' and 34 degrees F to 14.36 psi at 650 ft and 56 degrees F shows a volume decrease of 34.2 percent! :)

#MAMA18SR

11. xcel

Hi All:

The MAMA Spring Rally is in full swing! Over 90 vehicles and 80+ journalists from across the States.

First up is the all-new 2019 Nissan #Altima. Its claim to fame is its first of a kind variable compression ratio 248 and 273 lbs ft of torque 2.0L I4 turbo. Here is the short 2 minute vid and some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#MAMA18SR

BillLin likes this.
  12. xcel

Hi All:

Next up in the shooting gallery is the InfinitiUSA #QX50. New from the ground up, it is the first with the variable compression ratio turbo. Short loop yielded 40.4 mpg indicated from the 26 combined rated midsize AWD CUV.

[​IMG]

#MAMA18SR

BillLin likes this.
  13. xcel

Hi All:

How about the all-new 2018 Nissan Leaf. By far the most efficient car at the rally given its all-electric nature. The results on the short 2+ mile drive loop were almost double its EPA meaning its 151 mile rated range is surely closer to 250 with the 40 kWh pack. The 60 kWh pack is due soon...

[​IMG]

Wayne

#MAMA18SR

BillLin likes this.
  14. xcel

Hi All:

My favorite from the Spring Rally this morning is the 2018 Chevrolet Cruze Hatch with the torque filled 1.6L turbo diesel. Great results on the short 2 mile drive loop for a 30/45 mpg rated car, comfortable and inviting cabin, large hatch for cargo and its ride and handling are pretty darn good too! Great job design and engineering team.

[​IMG]

The 30/45 mpg rated Cruze hatch w/ the turbo diesel provided excellent results on the short 2-mile drive loop as well. [​IMG]

#MAMA18SR

BillLin likes this.
  15. xcel

Hi All:

How about the 47-mile all-electric range 2018 Honda#Clarity plug-in? Darn gorgeous interior materials, in hybrid mode the efficiency and refinement was excellent, std. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, safety galore, and at $33,400 minus the Fed and any state tax credits to start, it can be picked up for less than a std. Accord!

Shortfalls include short lower seat cushions, not enough seat track for taller drivers, no knobs for audio control, and old school CVT action when pressed.

[​IMG]

In Hybrid mode, the Honda Clarity PHEV efficiency tops the charts here at Road America today. I suspect the Accord Hybrid will do even better!

#MAMA18SR

BillLin likes this.
  16. xcel

HI All:

Lunch time presentation finds us being introduced to the all-new 2019 #Ram 1500...

[​IMG]

eTorque 48V belt starter generator captures some braking energy for short burst of torque.

12" central touchscreen.

BSM with trailer detection beyond the trailer monitoring.

Laramie Longhorn uses 58 percent more leather than any full or compact truck on the road. You have seen me rave about the detail stitching throughout the high end Ram truck trims.

#MAMA18SR

BillLin likes this.
  17. xcel

Hi All:

The 2018 Honda #Accord hybrid proves itself with triple digit efficiency while increasing SoC from 4-bars to 6 - start to completion - over the short 2-mile drive loop. A full size car w/ 105.x/16.7 cu.ft. of passenger/cargo volume, pleasing to look at interior plastics and trim, very comfortable front and especially rear seats, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay std., all the latest advanced safety systems std., and a starting price of just $25,990 incl. the $890 D&H charge.

Only shortcoming I found was the CVT rev up when applying the coals.

Great stuff Honda!!!

[​IMG]

Here is the Accord Hybrid result after the short 2-mile drive loop. Good God is this thing efficient!

#MAMA18SR

BillLin likes this.
  18. xcel

Hi All:

Next up is the 2018 Ford #F150 with the brand new 3.0L V6 Power Stroke turbo diesel mated to an all-new 10-speed AT with Stop/Start. It is rated at 30 mpg highway in RWD trim and 25 from the 4X4. Well throw those estimates out the window as this monster buried its EPA on a short 2-mile drive loop and it never saw 10th gear!

[​IMG]

Fords short lead may have been lackluster but it was no fault of the truck as I suspect this is the real deal. Great job Ford team. [​IMG]

#MAMA18SR

BillLin likes this.
  19. xcel

Hi All:

Final ride of day one here at Road America. The 2019 #Ram 1500 is a solid platform for the next generation of truck buyers. The frame is 98 percent HSS and the cab structure and bed are 54 percent. Ride is approaching that of a car thanks to the new independent rear end while the tow and load capability has been improved over the previous gen 2018 truck.

[​IMG]

As mentioned in the vid, the 5.7L Hemi V8 eTorque is just too thirsty. The 3.6 V6 eTorque is just months away and the EcoDiesel will reappear next year within this great platform.

#MAMA18SR

BillLin likes this.
  20. xcel

Hi All:

The day does not end until dinner is served... Before that however, a few cool vehicles in the parking lot.

I am trying to have this one delivered for a long drive next week.

Meet the hyper efficient 55/54 mpgUS city/highway rated 2018 Hyundai #Ioniq.

[​IMG]

#MAMA18SR

BillLin likes this.