GM’s All-new 2.7L I4 Turbo Slated for the 2019 Silverado!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, May 18, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Finally GM is getting the message!!!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – May , 2018

2019 Chevrolet Silverado RST

[​IMG]
    An efficient I4 turbo in a full size pickup! :)

8 trims and six engine/transmission combinations in the upcoming 2019 Silverado 1500 fit the needs of just about any truck buyer given the wide range performance, efficiency, and technology.

The all-new 2019 Silverado 1500 propulsion lineup includes:

Over half of the models will be equipped with the most advanced V8s in the brand’s history: updated versions of Chevrolet’s 5.3L and 6.2L engines equipped with industry-first Dynamic Fuel Management featuring 17 different modes of cylinder deactivation.

The big news however is the all-new, advanced 310 hp and 348 lb-ft of torque 2.7L I4 Turbo that will replace the 4.3L V6 as the standard engine on the Silverado LT and new RST trims. 22 percent more torque, greater fuel efficiency and a stronger power-to-weight ratio are guaranteed.

2.7L Four Details

The all-new 2.7L Turbo expands the range of available engines available to future Silverado buyers.

[​IMG]

Standard on LT and RST trims, was developed specifically for truck applications, with peak torque from 1,500 to 4,000 rpm.

The next-gen Silverado with the 2.7L Turbo delivers 0-60 mph performance in less than seven seconds and weighs 380 pounds less than the current Silverado with the 4.3L V-6. Compared with competitive full-size trucks, the Silverado 2.7L Turbo is expected to deliver comparable payload capability with greater torque than the 3.3L V6 in the Ford F-150 XLT and the 3.6L V6 in the Ram 1500 Big Horn.

The cornerstone of the 2.7L Turbo is an innovative double overhead cam valvetrain that enables:
    • Chevrolet’s first use of Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) on a four-cylinder engine
    • High- and low-lift valve profiles
    • Continuously variable valve timing
    Additional engine technologies supporting the engine’s performance and efficiency include:
    • Dual-volute turbocharger housing for improved throttle response and low-speed torque
    • Chevrolet’s first application of Active Thermal Management, which uses targeted engine heating and cooling to improve engine performance in hot and cold ambient temperatures
    • An integrated exhaust manifold that is part of the cylinder head assembly and recovers exhaust heat for faster engine and transmission warm-up, with quicker turbo response
    • Stop/start technology that automatically stops the engine in stop-and-go traffic for fuel efficiency
    • Electric water pump that also enables continual cabin heating even when the engine is disabled by the stop/start feature.
    The all-new, Duramax 3.0L I6 turbo diesel will be available in early 2019.

Each engine/transmission combination is matched with exterior design and interior features to create distinct personalities for each Silverado trim, based on three broad customer profiles: High Value, High Volume and High Feature.

High Value Work Truck (WT), Custom and Custom Trail Boss trims offer two proven engine and transmission combinations:

Standard: 285 hp and 305 lb-ft of torque 4.3L V6 with Active Fuel Management and a 6-speed AT.
    Available: 355 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque 5.3L V8 with Active Fuel Management and a 6-speed AT.

High Volume LT, RST and LT Trail Boss trims balance technology, efficiency and performance:

Standard for LT and RST: All-new 310 hp and 348 lb-ft of torque 2.7L I4 Turbo with Active Fuel Management and stop/start technology paired with an 8-speed AT.

Standard on LT Trail Boss and available on LT and RST: 355 hp and /383 lb-ft 5.3L V8 with Dynamic Fuel Management and stop/start technology with an 8-speed AT

Available on LT and RST: The all-new Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel with stop/start technology paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission will be available in early 2019.

High Feature LTZ and High Country trims offer the highest levels of performance and technology, including:

Standard: Updated 355 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque 5.3L V8 with Active Fuel Management and a 6-speed AT.
    Available: Updated 420 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque 6.2L V-8 with Dynamic Fuel Management and stop/start technology paired with a 10-speed AT.
    Available: All-new Duramax 3.0L I6 Turbo-Diesel with stop/start technology paired with a 10-speed AT available in early 2019.

The performance of each engine/transmission combination benefits from a truck that is lighter and more aerodynamic than the previous model.

The 2019 Silverado is larger than before, including a wheelbase that is up to 3.9 inches longer, yet overall length is only 1.6 inches longer, enabling both more cargo volume and more interior room for all cab lengths. Remarkably, it’s also lighter, weighing up to 450 pounds less than the current Silverado when comparing crew cab V8 models, due to extensive use of mixed materials and advanced manufacturing.

To improve the aerodynamic efficiency of the next-gen Silverado, the front grille features functional air curtains, like those introduced on the sixth-generation Camaro, that reduce wind drag by routing air around the front wheel wells. The powerful side profile also enhances aerodynamics, with an integrated spoiler at the rear edge of the cab that directs air onto the contoured tailgate, reducing wind drag from the bed. Most models also feature active aero shutters integrated in the front grille that close to reduce wind drag and open to provide improved engine cooling when needed. Changes like these result in a 7 percent increase in total aerodynamic efficiency.

The next-gen 2019 truck will be subjected to more than 475,000 validation tests and accumulate seven million miles of real-world testing before the first 2019 Silverado 1500 is delivered to customers.

Production

Silverado production commences with crew-cab V8 models starting in the third quarter. In the fourth, production will expand to include regular- and double-cab models, as well as V6 and the all-new 2.7L I4 Turbo engines. The new Duramax 3.0L I6 turbo diesel will be available in early 2019.

EPA fuel economy estimates, and towing/payload capacities are not yet available but will be closer to launch. My bet is 20/26 mpgUS city/highway, you?

TheStepChild and BillLin like this.
  2. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

20/26? Maybe. Turbo fours game the system for FE ratings. My guess is that it won't do much better than anything else given the chunky aero and pickup truck weight, in any real-world use.

The 8-speed is probably the right trans though, I've heard the 10-speed is so-so, but then again maybe GM will have stepped the programming up a little bit.

As with all these turbo engines, I wonder if long-term, these will really end up being cheaper to own?

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Regular or premium fuel? It seems most of the new small turbo engines need higher octane fuel. Even VW did it with their hybrid Jetta. (Or whatever it was. The words Volkswagen and reliable electric are mutually exclusive in my book.)

xcel, BillLin and jcp123 like this.
  4. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I'd hope regular, though with that specific output I don't know how the octane requirements are kept down. DI helps I suppose.

Your comment on VW reliability made me cackle, although my only experiences with VW didn't have much in the way of electrical issues. One was actually 100% trouble-free...the other was horrible and not related at all to electrical stuff save for a hatch release solenoid on the fritz.

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

My question also. I like a turbo 4 over a v6. I think maintenance is easier on the L4.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Any news on whether they will continue to offer the eAssist option or not?

7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Trollbait:

Nothing so I assume it is gone..

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. Elixer

Elixer Well-Known Member

When you think about it, the application of small turbocharged engines is really appropriate for pick up trucks, so I applaud GM on their new engine. The main disadvantage of turbos is the throttle response and turbo lag. This isn't good for a sports car, but in a truck, you just need the power to do the job. You don't need just the right amount of throttle at just the right point to corner the apex at maximum speed; you need the power to tow a 5000lb. trailer up a 6% grade. For that a turbo'd engine is great.

That being said, the location of the sharkfin antenna is really weird. Don't know why they couldn't put it on the center back of the roof. I otherwise like the look of the truck (though I'm not into them generally).

BillLin and xcel like this.
  9. I'm real curious how it will be accepted.

"WTH, I don't want no 4 banger in my truck, I'll go to the biggest v8 available to prove the size of my manliness. Better jack it up too"

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Someone should tell Porsche !

And don't forget to Roll Some Coal !

11. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I'd thought so too with the F150 EcoBoosts, but the take rate is so high on them that I fancy this engine will slide right in with a lot of folks caring less than you'd think.

Although I have to admit to a little eye roll at hearing about yet another turbo four hitting the market.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

The sharkfin placement was likely to be the most out of the way for racks and stuff being directly placed on the roof. Seen plenty of lumber and ladders leaned up on the back roof edge.