Week of May 7 to May 13 (Nat’l Avg $2.813)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, May 7, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Welcome to the grind :D

I’m on a 1 day vacation (UK Bank Holiday), will update later.

LinuxGold and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks for starting the thread, Gord. Today , 49 deg F , wind N2-4.
    15.4 miles , 74.77 MPG. Tank is at 95.6 miles , 73.93 MPG.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I managed to roll a tire off the rim of the tractor this weekend. It was FANTASTIC up to that point. Now the tire is in the Fit for a shop visit - I cannot get the bead to seal.

53.3 / 11.4 - school and work this morning. 64F and humid

Tank 50.4 / 465 mi, down to a quarter.
    F____|__/__E

LinuxGold, Gord and BillLin like this.
  4. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Gas price up here in northwestern Oregon. Most brand name gas stations $3.29 for regular 87 octane (10% ethanol). Least expensive Warrenton Oregon Costco, $3.059 per gallon for regular gas 87 octane (10% ethanol). Fred Meyer (Kroeger) regular $3.099 / gal. My wife and I really appreciate our cars now, my daily driver a 2010 Prius, and my wife's a 2016 Volt Premier. Both cars, the Prius and the Volt have been averaging over 50 MPG on gasoline, yes the Volt when just running on gasoline has been averaging over 54 mpg this month, and on electric between 55 miles to nearly 70 miles on electric as well, not bad for a car with an EPA of 42 miles on gas and a 53 mile electric range.

Most people in this neck of the woods love their SUV"s and 3 ton pickup trucks. I don't think the price of gas rising and continuing to rise has no effect on them. Our local Chevy dealer still has 3 2017 Volts still for sale in their yard, even though the 2018 Volt's have been out for nearly a year.

My wife and I like to travel and use the Volt for most of those trips, 125 - 200 mile round trip. With the range on electric for only $1.85 per full charge, and over 50 mpg on gas no car comes close for the least per mile cost. Even if the price of gas was $4.00 gallon it would still have little effect on our fuel bill, and I'm quite sure we will see nearly $4.00 per gallon by Labor Day...

5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Ugh! Sorry to hear that, Andrew. I wonder which came first, coming off the rim (underinflated?) or the bead not holding a good seal (again, leading to underinflation)... Maybe I shouldn't presume that you didn't hit a rock or something. :(

Gord and PaleMelanesian like this.
  6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I'd suggest soapy water, high pressure air and a 5 lb sledge, ... but the shop trip should result in less cursing and sweating.

Gord, PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  7. PaleMelanesian

I was in a bit of mud, took a turn too hard and fast. Like a dummy I did not check the tire pressure yet since buying it. :eek: It was probably low, but not visibly so.

I'm lacking high pressure air, but I did use a ratchet strap around the tire tread, and a 5 lb sledge to do my best at seating the bead. Hammering on the tread seems to do well to get the tire's lip moving out to the rim. It looks good, but hisses between the rim and tire.

8. PaleMelanesian

Well, the tire is toast. He got it to seal with some goop they use, but there are leaks in the sidewall from age and from me running over it with the bare rim. There was a puncture in the tread, so my theory is to blame that, which lowered the pressure to the point of rolling over. Now I'm shopping for tractor tires.

I got some looks at the Honda dealer when I rolled that tire in from my Fit. :D And comments about an offroad conversion. Brother in law works there and did this over our lunch break.

9. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

Yesterday going home , 15.4 miles , 73.47 MPG.
    Today , 57 deg F , wind ESE1-4. 15.4 miles , 79.05 MPG.
    Tank is at 127.8 miles , 74.12 MPG.

PaleMelanesian, Gord and BillLin like this.
  11. Gord

Bank holiday went to eldest's for a wander with the dogs round the Dearne Valley, 4UP, 63°F, 3mph headwind N:
    53.9 / 18.2 - Fantastic run :D - went into 2 cylinder mode a lot up the motorway

Coming back wife needed AC on all the way home on full (killed my FE!! :eek::p), sunny and warm 75°F, 4mph headwind SSE:
    46.4 / 18.3

On my own to work this morning, car pooler had to go to Wales (~190 miles) to pick up his unwell mother-in-law, 63°F, 6mph head/crosswind:
    50.3 / 21.4

Tank up 0.4 at 47.0 (FCD 49.5) / 449.0 / Range 190 . Guess gauge F____|_«««E . UG down 0.2 at 47.9 / DTE 198

Lost 4th pip @ 435 miles

BillLin likes this.
  12. PaleMelanesian

50.8 / 5.2 - home last night, had some "normal" moments of driving. :oops:
    54.6 / 11.4 this morning

Tank 50.4 / 487 mi.

I've got new tractor tires on order. Surprisingly affordable for the 15" front tires, I found a sale for $76 each.

BillLin and Gord like this.
  13. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Andrew, was it the right front one? From the photos you posted it looked like it was a little low while on the trailer. But was chalking that up to being strapped down.

14. PaleMelanesian

Yes it was the right front. We made a point to strap it down until we saw each of the 4 tires flatten slightly. But it still could have been low and I did not check it. I obsess over my car's tire pressure but failed on the tractor. :eek:

But it also got the puncture so it's not all my fault! ;)

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 63 deg F , wind SE2-11. 15.4 miles , 83.79 MPG.

Tank is at 169.4 miles , 74.59 MPG.
    I have to work out after work today , so instead of one 15.4 mile trip ,
    there will be two trips of approx. 8.5 miles. I'll be very lucky to hit 70.

16. Gord

Going home last night no chance of usual routes so back to detour #8, mostly uphill to start, fair bit of queuing, cooler 64°F, 10mph head/crosswind SW:
    49.0 / 22.0

Tank up 0.1 at 47.1 (FCD 49.6) / 471.0 / Range 170. Guess gauge F____|_«««E . UG up 0.1 at 48.0 / DTE 177

No commute for the rest of week - car pooler's back from his trip to Wales - he said he did 356 miles yesterday.

BillLin likes this.
  17. PaleMelanesian

I had a good one!

60.7 home
    58.0 to work

Tank up to 50.5 / 509 mi.
    F____|___/__E

18. Gord

Short trip last night to collect youngest from youth club in the Jazz/Fit:
    64.0 / 1.5 - lots of FAS :D
    51.2 / 1.5 - net uphill

Managed to get an hour out on the bike, 18 miles :)

BillLin likes this.
  19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Nice trip , Andrew. I'm always pleased to have a trip that's 20 % higher than the tank average.

Going home yesterday was weird. 78 deg F , wind SSW6-20 ( headwind )
    , rain went back and forth between drizzle and cloudburst , and the sun was
    shining the whole time ! 17.4 miles , one long stop at health club. 61.38 MPG.
    Today , much better : 57 deg F , wind SW8. 15.4 miles , 77.93 MPG.
    Tank is at 202.3 miles , 73.47 MPG.

20. PaleMelanesian

51.3 / 5.2 - home last night. I let it loose a bit and exercised the top end. Then had some nice long coasts. :D
    56.6 / 2
    43.0 / 2 - pick up daughter from youth group and back

Then this morning 51.5 / 11.4 to school and back. Going at lunch to get the new tractor tires mounted.
    [​IMG]