VW I.D. R Pikes Peak All-Electric Race Car!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Apr 26, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Who wouldn’t want to drive this on a timed tranquil drive to the top of Pikes Peak at 14,110’ ASL? ;)

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – April 23, 2018

[​IMG]

VW Motorsport has now open track tested for the first time its I.D. R Pikes Peak in Alès, France. The supercar is being tested to compete at the Pikes Peak International Hill climb in Colorado Springs, CO, on June 24, seeking to beat the existing electric car record of 8:57.118 minutes in the annual “Race to the Clouds.”

The I.D. R Pikes Peak race car weighs less than 2,500 lbs and produces 680 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque, giving it a 0-60 time of 2.25 seconds.

The top goal when developing the Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak was to find the ideal balance between energy capacity and weight. VW’s prototype for Pikes Peak the “R” for racing and the “I.D.”, the symbol of VW’s smart E-technology.

The I.D. R Pikes Peak designers opted for a two-motor drivetrain generating a system capacity of 680 hp. Li-Ion traction batteries are used as the energy storage system with high power density. Despite the extreme climb from start to finish, approximately 20 percent of the electric energy required is generated via regenerative braking during the run. When braking, the electric engines act as generators, converting some of the braking energy into electricity and feeding this into the battery.

VW’s I.D. R Pikes Peak program enters a crucial phase with the unveiling of the car in Alès. Testing on the actual 12.42-mile route of the Pikes Peak hill climb in Colorado Springs is limited, and only possible on certain sections so the bulk of the testing is not done on the actual route, but at racetracks. With the vehicle revealed to the world, testing has commenced!

World-class driver and defending Pikes Peak champion, Romain Dumas, will be at the wheel of the VW I.D. R Pikes Peak for the attempt to break the existing record for electric cars. The 39-year-old Frenchman has three victories at Pikes Peak and won the 24 Hours of Le Mans twice.

Between now and the race date, the all-electric prototype will undergo a program of testing initially in Europe and then in the USA.

On June 24th, the Race to the Clouds involves a 4,720 vertical-foot climb, 156 corners, and is accomplished with just a single attempt. Not only must the technology and driver be on top form as they attempt to set a record, but the external conditions must be perfect. It is not unheard of for finish-line temperatures at the 14,115-foot summit of Pikes Peak to be below freezing at the end of June.

Because of the low air density, drivers are required to wear oxygen masks during the Race to the Clouds.

NeilBlanchard and BillLin like this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

VW I.D. R Pikes Peak Aero Design

In preps for the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 2018, the VW Motorsport team engineered the aerodynamics of the I.D. R Pikes Peak specifically to tackle the most famous hill climb in the world. The goal at the race, which takes place on June 24th in Colorado Springs, CO, is to break the record in the class for electric prototypes, which currently stands at 8:57.118 minutes.

VW I.D. R Pikes Peak

[​IMG]

François-Xavier Demaison, Technical Director at Volkswagen Motorsport and I.D. R Pikes Peak Project Manager:
    During the winding 12.4-mile drive to the summit of Pikes Peak, a top speed of around 155 mph is reached—relatively low for a prototype like the I.D. R, as it could theoretically go far faster.

“For this reason, we concentrated mainly on achieving optimal cornering speeds. The entire chassis is designed to generate as much downforce as possible, without causing too much aerodynamic drag,” adds Demaison.

Oversized Rear Wing on the I.D. R Pikes Peak

Willy Rampf, Technical Consultant:
    VW Motorsport used a half-scale model to test a host of different variants of the Pikes Peak racer in the wind tunnel. The final touches were then put to a full-size chassis on the rolling-road wind tunnel in the Porsche development center in Weissach.

New components were often produced in quick time on a 3D printer as the team printed about 2,000 parts. In doing so, they saved a lot of time.

With its two electric engines, which together generate 671 hp, the I.D. R avoids the cooling issues that face combustion-engined vehicles. This made it possible to reduce the size of the intakes in the chassis, which are traditionally aerodynamic drawbacks. However, the thin air at altitude has a negative effect on the efficiency of the cooling.

Simulation software provided by technology partner ANSYS is used to calculate the ideal compromise. Cooling Data from the wind tunnel was incomplete given the Pikes Peak’s thin so a simulation was a great help in determining the cooling system geometry.

The first test run on the original route is planned for the end of May. Driver Romain Dumas and the Volkswagen Motorsport team then begin the final phase of their preparations leading up to race day.

Wayne

NeilBlanchard and BillLin like this.
  3. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Interesting that they taped all the gaps and seams on the car.

xcel and BillLin like this.