Amazon Package Delivery to and Secured in Your Vehicle Is Now a Reality

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Apr 25, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] “Amazon Key” in-car delivery provides over 7-million GM customers a convenient and secure way to receive packages at work or home at no additional cost!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – April 24, 2018

GM is now offering more than seven million owners of the Corporate giant’s Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles in the U.S. the ability to have Amazon packages dropped off inside their vehicle using Amazon Key. In-Car Delivery comes at no extra cost for Amazon Prime members with an active OnStar account and is available in 37 U.S. cities and surrounding areas, with more to come.

The Amazon Key In-Car Delivery allows packages to be delivered to a vehicle when it’s parked in a publicly accessible area. Delivery is available on tens of millions of items sold on Amazon.com and works with Same Day, Two-Day and Standard Shipping.

To start, customers must download the Amazon Key App and opt in to seamlessly link their Amazon and OnStar accounts. Once the first step is complete and the delivery location has been registered, customers can shop on Amazon and select “In-Car” delivery option at checkout. Additional eligible delivery addresses can be added to the Amazon address book at any time.

Customers receive a notification via the Amazon Key App when the delivery is on its way and after the delivery is completed and the vehicle is relocked. Deliveries are made to a stationary car parked in a publicly accessible area.

Amazon Key In-Car Delivery requires a 2015 model year or newer Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicle. Visit onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. To check eligibility and sign up for Amazon Key In-Car Delivery, visit Amazon Key in Car.

I am a big fan of this GM/Amazon delivery solution vs. having your package dropped off on the porch or in the door. It is more secure and if you are worried about your vehicles contents being secure, you should be concerned with your packages delivery partner and the package sitting out in the open as well.

All in, what a cool use of technology to improve the package delivery experience which we all go through at some time. Some more than others. ;)

BillLin likes this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Volvo joins the "Amazon Key" family.

[​IMG]

Volvo is now partnering with Amazon to bring in-car delivery of packages to customers in the United States.

The collaboration represents a scaling-up of Volvo’s digital consumer services via the Volvo On Call service platform, available via an app on your smartphone. These and other services will change the way Volvo customers interact with their car.

The service is available now across 37 cities and surrounding areas in the United States, with more cities rolling out over time. The service is available to millions of Amazon Prime members and the majority of all Volvo owners in the country.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Nope. Just like at my house. Nope.

Of course, I live in a place where a package on my doorstep will stay there.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I'm with you on that.

My first thought was, "Hmmm, call the bomb squad?" :eek: More rational thought prevailed. :D We've been lucky with our packages at our front door so far, too.

xcel likes this.
  5. BillLin

Is the in-home or in-car-trunk delivery useful for the rest of the populace that doesn't get Amazon personnel doing the delivery?

No drone deliveries with either method. :)

Is Amazon working toward taking out the parcel transport middlemen? (USPS,UPS,Fed-Ex,etc) All hail Emperor Bezos. :D And Amazon's got such a great deal with the USPS, too!... :D

xcel likes this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I was really hoping to shoot down any drone that violated my airspace.

I just hope Bezos ( or Musk , or someone ) buys out Comcast and gives us high-speed

Internet at a fair price. Comcast service is good , but the $$$ ? F#%$ Comcast !

xcel and BillLin like this.
  7. BillLin

If the 5G carriers can give us (virtually) unlimited data for a reasonable cost (less than cable/FIOS), I'd be happy to say good-bye to the latter. :)

xcel likes this.
  8. BillLin

That might be some narcissist's selfie-drone you shoot down... :D

Edit: Hey, I wasn't meaning you, Edwin, in case you misconstrue what I'm saying.. I'm thinking you're walking along and there are people around you.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    xcel likes this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

Data , schmata. I just want to be able to continue to stream movies and TV in 4K Ultra HD.
    I use a phone for talking , texting , and photos.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  10. BillLin

That's just data, Edwin... ;)

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

I guess I wasn't even imagining getting my broadband Internet
    from a wireless phone company.
    Is it really possible ?

BillLin likes this.
  12. BillLin

Yup, imagine replacing your cable modem with a 5G modem. Not too different from the Wi-Fi hotspots served by automotive 4G LTE modems, or creating your own Wi-Fi hotspot with your cell phone, only with greater bandwidth and connectivity for wired and wireless devices.

13. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

The glass business is going to sky rocket!