19 Avalon, 19 Corolla Hatch, and 18 Camry Take Top Honors at TAWA Auto Roundup

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Apr 21, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Toyota's latest compact, midsize and full size automobiles earn awards.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – April 18, 2018

2018 Toyota Camry

[​IMG]

Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur, Texas -- This past weekend, almost 50 Texas Auto Writers Association Journalists were on hand to slice and dice almost 50 new vehicles in order to discern which is the best within its competitive segment.

From the events scoring results, Toyota took home first-place spots in the full size segment with the brands all-new 2019 Avalon, compact 2019 Corolla Hatch, and midsize 2018 Camry. The 2019 Avalon also won TAWA’s award for Best New Interior.

The TAWA journalists were evaluating five key attributes including exterior, interior, performance, value, and personal appeal.

The 2019 Corolla Hatch in SE or XSE trims is already making an impression from my time with both in San Diego earlier this week.

2019 Toyota Corolla Hatch Short Lead

Standard features include Entune 3.0 with Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa Connectivity, 4-wheel independent sport-tuned suspension, TNGA platform, and the first North American application of Toyota Safety Sense 2.0, Corolla Hatch provides utility, practicality, and style.

2019 Toyota Corolla Hatch

[​IMG]

The 2018 Toyota Camry, also built upon a TNGA platform, double-wishbone multi-link rear end, and stylish design, has a profile that offers improved aerodynamics, a lower center of gravity, and a more rigid body, over its predecessor. A number of new noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) countermeasures including sound-absorbing insulation in the hood and upper and lower fender separator, as well as foam/vibration dampening materials throughout the vehicle provide the quiet ride of a much more expensive automobile. Soft touch and premium materials encompass all surfaces of the cabin.

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid

[​IMG]

2019 Avalon Touring: Designed and Assembled in the U.S.A., new TNGA K Sedan Platform with Multi-Link Rear Suspension and optional Toyota-First Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), Standard Entune 3.0 with WiFi Hotspot, Qi Wireless Charging, Toyota Remote Connect with Smartwatch and Amazon Alexa Connectivity, and Apple CarPlay, and Standard Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P).

2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid

[​IMG]

2019 Corolla Hatchback: New TNGA 2.0L I4 mated to a 6-speed iMT MT, and Dynamic-Shift CVT, new TNGA platform with sport-tuned suspension, standard Entune 3.0 Audio with 8" touchscreen, Wi-Fi Connect, Amazon Alexa, and Apple CarPlay. It will be the first North American Toyota with standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0.

2018 Camry: Aggressive exterior and low CG, Entune 3.0 Audio Plus with JBL and Clari-Fi, Connected Navigation Scout and App Suite w/ 8" touch-screen, Qi wireless smartphone charging, 10-in Color Heads-Up Display, 7-in TFT Multi-Information Display with customizable settings and Standard Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P).

BillLin likes this.
  2. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Turns out Toyota supposedly doesn't include Android Auto due to privacy concerns. Not sure about details here and how that data collection compares with CarPlay and if it can be turned on/off. With upcoming European GDPR I wonder how that will affect this. Since that will dictate that you can opt out but they might only offer that in Europe.

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

HI Luke:

Google wants complete control over all data collected. Apple signed off that they do not according to the people I spoke with at Toyota over the last year and into last weekend about it. The high level execs were adamant that Android Autos exclusion it is to protect their consumers. I emphatically replied it is costing them customers by the thousands.

Anyone that has used Apple CarPlay for over a day knows what a POS system it is by comparison.

Wayne

joshdurston and BillLin like this.
  4. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Thanks Wayne for clarifying. Sounds strange explanation since why not leave that decision to customers. They can choose not to connect and pretty much all phones already do lots of data collection so I can't imagine much more data is added to that.

With the upcoming GDPR next month companies are required to offer European consumers download of all collected data and an opt-out option. I'd expect most companies to offer the same options in US despite being an European requirement only. Not sure yet what Google will do in reaction to that. But currently Google has some options already to reduce data collection like location sharing.

EdwinTheMagnificent, BillLin and xcel like this.