55 mpg Rated 2019 Honda Insight Reveal at the NYIAS

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 27, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] A day I have been waiting for… For years. :)

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – March 26, 2017

2019 Honda Insight

[​IMG]

The all-new 2019 Insight will make its global debut at the 2018 New York International Auto Show (NYIAS), tomorrow! The new Insight, launching at Honda dealerships nationwide in early summer, joins the Clarity and just-launched 2018 Accord Hybrid as the fifth new Honda electrified vehicle introduced over the past year.

The Insight is touted to be "priced" between the Civic and Accord in Honda's passenger car lineup. The Insight is unique as a premium compact sedan and fuel efficiency competitive with the Toyota Prius and Hyundai Ioniq HEVs. The new Insight is powered by Honda's third gen two-motor hybrid system, Insight's 151 net system hp combines with a lightweight structure to deliver the best power-to-weight ratio in its class as well as up to 55-mpg in the city.

2019 Honda Insight Design

The 2019 Honda Insight is highlighted by Honda's signature vertical "flying wing" grille and fascia, low-profile LED headlights and taillights, small radius character lines and a coupe-like profile.

Inside, the new Insight features a soft-touch instrument panel with real stitching, ergonomically sculpted seats, a 7-inch TFT color digital driver's meter, available heated and leather-trimmed seating and an 8-inch Display Audio touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

The new Insight's wheelbase (106.3 inches) – same as the current Civic - and packaging efficiency yields best-in-class rear legroom of 37.4 inches, along with a spacious 15.1 cu.-ft. of trunk space that rivals the Civic, Corolla, and Elantra. The placement of the Li-Ion Traction battery beneath the rear seats allows for a fold-down rear seat (60/40-split on EX and Touring trims) to maximize cargo- and people-hauling flexibility.

2019 Honda Insight Trims

The 2019 Honda Insight will be available in LX, EX and Touring trims. Standard features on all include full LED headlamps, LED DRLs and taillamps, 16" alloys, heated side mirrors, a 7-inch TFT digital driver's meter, push-button start, a 6-speaker audio system, Bluetooth, Pandora compatibility and a folding rear seat.

The EX adds proximity key entry, two additional speakers, SiriusXM and an 8-inch Display Audio touchscreen.

The Touring adds 17” alloys, LED fog lamps, rain-sensing wipers, power roof, LED side-mirror turn signals, perforated leather seating, heated front seats with 8-way power for the driver and 4-way power for the passenger, dual-zone auto climate, Navi, Honda HD Digital Traffic, 4G LTE Wi-Fi with mobile hotspot capability and Wi-Fi-enabled over-the-air system updates, next-generation HondaLink subscription services, a 10-speaker premium audio system, and HomeLink Remote System.

2019 Honda Insight Interior

[​IMG]

2019 Honda Insight Body and Chassis

The Insight shares its basic platform with the award winning 10th-gen Civic plus numerous updates to further improve ride quality, cabin quietness and efficiency. The body features Honda's Advance Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure. An aluminum hood reduces weight, while additional sound insulation in the engine bay, front fenders, front firewall, and front and rear floor further quiets the cabin. I suspect this was added to remove the high speed two motor hybrid system drone?

The Insight's new chassis is designed to provide a more refined driving experience. It utilizes struts up front and multi-link out back with liquid-sealed compliance bushings at both ends on the Touring. The Insight also features variable-ratio dual-pinion electric power steering. Braking is provided by an electro-servo brake system, which combines efficient regenerative braking and mechanical (friction) braking to bring it to a halt.

2019 Honda Insight Powertrain

The all-new Insight is powered by the third generation of Honda's two-motor hybrid system, featuring an efficient atkinsonized 1.5L I4, a powerful electric propulsion motor, and Li-Ion traction battery. Total system output is 151 hp and a whopping 197 lb.-ft. of torque. Like the Accord hybrid, under most conditions, the Insight operates as a series hybrid in which the gasoline engine, connected to the generator motor, produces electricity that is supplied to either the electric propulsion motor and/or the 60-cell Li-Ion traction battery.

The Insight features NORMAL, ECON, and SPORT driving modes.

In normal mode, the Insight is capable of all-electric driving for distances up to a mile. During higher speed operation a lock-up clutch connects the engine to the drive axles to provide the most efficient operation during highway and freeway driving.

2019 Honda Insight Safety Technology

The 2019 Honda Insight will include the Honda Sensing suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies as standard equipment, which includes Forward Collison Warning (FCW), Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS), Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keeping Assistance System, Road Departure Mitigation, Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow – not fully stop and go capable :( – and Traffic Sign Recognition. Insight EX and Touring trims will include Honda LaneWatch, and all trims will have a multi-angle rearview camera. No mention of Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) was provided. A feature that I am quickly becoming a huge proponent of.

2019 Honda Insight Manufacturing

The Insight will be manufactured alongside the Civic and CR-V at Honda's plant in Greensburg, Indiana. The hybrid battery unit will be assembled at the company's Marysville Auto Plant in Ohio, with the 1.5L ICE manufactured by Honda's Anna, Ohio engine plant, which also produces the engine for the Ohio-made 2018 Accord Hybrid.

This one is surely going to be the highlight of the 2018 NYIAS imho. :)

Lee Moon, Markus and BillLin like this.
  2. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

It's actually quite nice looking, but will buyers notice? It looks unremarkable in the Honda lineup, and many hybrid owners want to flaunt their hybrid ownership status - and the Prius' funky styling does just that.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Why do I keep hearing that from all the car-related media outlets? I don't know any Prius drivers who like to flaunt. Just the opposite. Most I know are more likely to be wall flowers and would happily blend in. I know I do. :D

EdwinTheMagnificent, jcp123 and xcel like this.
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

This car will be a tough sell if gasoline prices remain low. I love hybrids but I wouldn't buy this car over the turbo-civic hatch.

xcel likes this.
  5. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I don't read much press on hybrids or Prii, but my impression is that if you want a hybrid, you go Prius by default. And doubly so if you're the kind of person who's into virtue signaling.

BillLin likes this.
  6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

The desired "5 year payback" doesn't happen for a $3,000 hybrid upgrade (35 mpg to 50 mpg) till about $5/gallon. So we probably aren't going to see that in the U.S. for a while. But most of europe is already there.

151 hp and 197 ft-lb of torque sounds pretty diesel-ish. If they give this car a decent tow rating (in europe), I could see it doing well over there.

.. except they're not going to sell it over there. Probably no need, with that market getting the 1.6 diesel civic.

7. alster

alster Well-Known Member

When will the official EPA figures for fuel efficiency be available for the 2019 Insight?

BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Likewise and ditto. I didn't buy the car because it looks goofy.

I bought it in spite of that.

Jay, BillLin and xcel like this.
  9. xcel

Hi Alster:

Probably just before consumer availability this summer as a guess. Honda is really touchy about releasing EPA results on their latest offerings until they are practically driving on the road.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  10. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I would agree too. We almost bought a used Prius until we decided on our Leaf, but the virtue-signaling part of it and the baggage it carries was by far my biggest reservation about getting one. I'd much rather have a car that looks like everything else and just quietly gets better mpg.

As far as the Insight goes, it is disappointing that Honda can't seem to decide what to do with this name badge. The first Insight was a tiny 2-seater hatch - basically the CRX reimagined as a Hybrid ... and then effectively brought back as the CR-Z rather than using the Insight name. The second Insight was a budget Prius fighter, with similar styling and the same 5 doors as a Prius ... not quite in the Prius' league but still underrated IMO and the critics were far too harsh on it. Frankly I also considered a used Insight simply because it isn't a Prius.

Now the 3rd gen Insight is basically a Civic Hybrid sedan -- except Honda won't call it that because of the prior HCH's bad reputation? At least they figured out to build a hybrid Civic with seats that fold down. Too bad they didn't apply it to the hatchback version: a sedan is about as relevant to me as a 2-seater. Nice to look at, but I'd sooner start riding a tricycle to work than buy a sedan.

Jay, xcel and BillLin like this.
  11. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Naming is indeed confusing, it looks like a Civic so why not name it like that. Certainly doesn't look like last 2 insights. They should have made this a liftback since it looks like that and added cost would have been only $500 or so max.

I think latest gen Prius sales are down because of the styling. Unique styling is fine but best to avoid polarization. I'm still hoping to see Honda add hybrid and PHEV in CRV/RDX. The RAV4 is Toyota's 2nd best selling hybrid getting close to the Prius.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  12. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

The Civic needs that center stack, I prefer buttons over touchscreen interfaces for operating the climate control.

13. Markus

Markus Active Member

Agreed

14. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Unique styling is fine , but that doesn't mean I'm going to wear a green plaid kilt when walking in the city.
    It would sure be nice if the Insight was a liftback. I'm pretty spoiled by the Prius.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  15. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Depends on if you can carry off the look. Do you have nice legs? :)

xcel likes this.
  16. Lee Moon

Lee Moon Member

I love the first generation Insight. This third generation is a great looking sedan, practical, and appears to get outstanding fuel economy. I like it. A lot. Wish it had a fully digital instrument cluster or at least a HUD. Not a fan at all of analog speedometers. Admittedly, that's just my particular taste. LOL!

xcel likes this.
  17. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

It's a good looking design and the increased efficiency is a plus. However, the Insight has never sold well for whatever reason. I think it just gets out marketed by the Civic and Accord. I long for the days of a super efficient Insight like the 2000 5 speed I used to own.

18. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Isn't the 2019 Insight likely a more efficient car than a 2005 Insight... while offering the owner a whole lot more -- everything?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=20479&id=20478

/an inflation adjusted msrp for a 2005 Insight would be several thousand more $ than what Honda is going to want for the 2019 Insight (imo)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  19. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Compared to the 2018 Accord hybrid ....

2018 Accord Hybrid
    47/47/47
    Starting msrp $25,100
    2.0 two motor hybrid system

2019 Insight Hybrid
    55/xx/xx
    starting msrp $xx,xxx
    1.5 two motor hybrid system

Guessing at the x's...

55/55
    $23,100

20. xcel

Hi Carcus:

Good guess and probably close to the target MSRP. My concern is the LX trim will be contented similar to the base level Ioniq Blue/NIro FE which do not offer much. If that price is accurate, it is great to see the safety equipment standard at possibly $1k below the Ioniq SEL hatch.

With the EX Accord hybrid costing $29,780 to start, I suspect the 19 Insight will come in more along the lines of a 2018 Prius III at $27,630 including D&H. That is a lot of scratch for a base trim compact nowadays. Almost double what I paid for the 2018 Elantra Eco in fact.

Wayne

BillLin and Carcus like this.