Week of March 19 to March 25 (Nat’l Avg $2.550)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price is up 2.4¢ since last week to $2.550 - this time last year it was $2.292 so it's 11.3% (+25.8¢) dearer.
    Diesel is down 3.9¢ to $2.928. It's now 16.5% (+41.5¢) more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is at a reducing 14.8% premium to regular.
    E85's average price is up to $2.150 - a year ago it was $2.027 so 6.1% dearer.

Car pooler's turn to drive :cool: - most of the weekend's snow has now gone :)

puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  2. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

53.1 - 9.2 mi. to work and back home today. No driving my car over the weekend. Drove the Rondo instead since we had our granddaughter with us.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I'm back! Good spring break drive. Roughly 2000 miles in the 2014 Odyssey, in the 26-28 mpg range with one tank over 30.

52.3 / 11.4 - to school and work this morning in the Fit.

Tank is at 51.6 / 358 mi and right on 1/2 full.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Nice job with the Odyssey!

puddleglum and Gord like this.
  5. PaleMelanesian

Thanks. It's mostly the van's achievement. It's good at this stuff. I just had to adjust the speed on some climbs now and then to avoid a downshift.

It's rated 28 highway, and with the cruise set at 70 on flat ground it comes up a little short of that, around 27.
    The old 2004 we had was rated 23 highway, and would do 25 in the same situation.

It's better than the old one, but also better tuned to the tests so the improvement isn't as big as the ratings suggest.

puddleglum, Gord and BillLin like this.
  6. BillLin

I found more attention on hill climbs to be helpful, too, when I did the Mass to Chicago run with the Prius.

puddleglum and Gord like this.
  7. puddleglum

Actually felt like spring for the first official day of spring.
    43.8 - 4.3 mi. to work. 27*F
    51.3 - 2.4 mi. work to bottle depot.
    64.8 - 2.5 mi. home, 38*F. It was sure nice to be comfortable outside without a coat for a change.

Glad to hear you had a nice trip.

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today , 28 deg F. 15.4 miles , 58.68 MPG. My main goal at this time is to get to work
    without having to blow on the BAIID too many times. I do get some glides in , but the delta
    is less (5-7 vs 12-18). Trying to keep average speed up. One of these days , I will be able to drive
    without the nanny. Then I can go back to my usual shenanigans. Meaning of course , hypermiling.
    Did you think I was going to say " drinking" ? Have not had a drink since Dec 29 , and not missing it.

9. PaleMelanesian

Stay strong Edwin.

It's certainly spring here! Everything is yellow from pollen.

53.2 / 5.3 - home last night
    51.8 / 11.5 - school and work this morning

Tank is steady at 51.6 / 375 mi.
    F____|/___E

10. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Good stuff in the van! I can't get my wife to pay attention...when last I was home, it was hovering just under 14mpg according to the FCD. Good grief. I don't know how accurate the FCD is in it though, it claimed deep in the 30s a couple of summers ago when I drove from Harrisburg PA to Wash. D.C. That seemed a bit optimistic to me.

Speaking of Pennsylvania, I'm currently shut down. The last leg of my run is currently under a blanket ban for all commercial motor vehicles. 80 miles away, where I am, it's cold and cloudy, but entirely dry.

11. BillLin

Minor storm this week. NYC area and southern CT get the brunt. Temps currently around freezing and only 3-5" of snow tonight. Plenty of room on "my" snow pile :D which is down to about 3'. Unfortunately, I had to remove my winter wheels and put the originals back on in preparation for car trade-in, and the tires are the originals. Still plenty of serviceable tread, though. 4th weekly snow storm, though I may have lost count. :D And it is supposed to be bloody spring already!

Gord and puddleglum like this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

Meanwhile , we are expecting a few dozen snowflakes here Saturday.
    Guess I can't complain.

13. puddleglum

46.1 - 4.3 mi. to work. 14*F
    61.3 - 4.9 mi. home tonight. 33*F

Tank: 46.9 - 342.9 mi. F_____I_/___E

Today was my last day using the Echo for commuting to work. I'll still use it for a family car and for errands in town. I've been told to start taking the work van home again. I did that for years but now I'm not sure how I feel about it. Some advantages for sure but I enjoy the Echo and hypermiling it. Enjoyed biking to work in the summer as well.

14. BillLin

Is your employer trying to improve their average MPG or just burn more fuel overall? You have my sympathies.

Gord, puddleglum and PaleMelanesian like this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

If fuel was free, I'd still drive the Echo. Today , 23 deg F , wind NW3. 15.4 miles , 56.82 MPG.
    I did end up with 61 MPG average for 31 miles yesterday ; when it gets above 40 F things improve.

16. BillLin

I lucked out. Only 2-3" snow, though still snowing but no more than a half inch expected. Freshened my snow pile a little, made it look pretty again. :D Hopefully, I can put away the plastic roof rake that I use to clear off the solar panels. <knock on wood>

17. PaleMelanesian

52.8 / 5.3 - home last night

66.2 / 2.0
    45.4 / 2.0 - youth group and back

53.1 / 11.4 - school and work this morning

Tank is up a tick to 51.7 / 404 miles.
    F____|_/__E

18. puddleglum

It won't improve anything except maybe parking. Outside space is very limited at this new location and my parking spot is needed for other things. I'll burn about four times as much fuel driving the van as I did in the Echo. there are advantages. It will be nice to have access to my tools at home or come straight home from a job if I'm out. I honestly think he thinks he is doing me a favor, but it will show up as a taxable benefit for the "privilege" of taking the van home. I may pay almost as much in extra taxes as paid in gas.

I would too. Much nicer to drive in town than the van.

19. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Got through the remnants of snow. Actually was pretty clear road- and weatherwise but for that nasty salt making milk stains on my glass. Was left with nothing but the usual trials of driving a 65' vehicle in the Northeast on roads which are kinda jammed into accepting them. That plus traffic, cold, and the constabularies operating all of the weigh stations, I registered 6.2mpg today, and logged a mere 48mph moving average (usually closer to low-mid 50s outside the NE). That's 73 gallons of dead dinosaurs burned today.

BillLin, puddleglum and Gord like this.
  20. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 26 deg F , wind N3. 15.4 miles , 60.54 MPG. When I worry less about having to blow in that damned device every
    15 min ( very random intervals) , I can focus on good glides. I still have the minor issue of trying to keep coolant temp up.
    Mostly living with Linda now , we go to my house on weekends ( my home theater is nice). Driving a lot fewer miles , too.

Gord, BillLin and puddleglum like this.