All-new 2019 Toyota RAV4 Scheduled for a Big Apple Reveal

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 13, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] More efficiency guaranteed!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – March 13, 2017

[​IMG]

The all-new, fifth-generation 2019 Toyota RAV4 will make its world debut on Wednesday, March 28, at 9:10 a.m. EDT during the 2018 New York International Auto Show (NYIAS).

The livestream will be available here: Toyota’s 2018 NYIAS Presentation and online activity can be tracked with the #RAV4 hashtag.

What can we expect? The all-new 2018 Toyota Camry and Camry Hybrid’s 40+ efficient 2.5L drivetrain(s) is surely slated to reside in the all-new 2019 RAV4. The current 2018 RAV4 Hybrid’s 34/30 mpg city/highway rating should be increased by at a minimum of 20 percent as a guess.

Larger passenger and cargo volume, improved infotainment w/ a larger central display and both Android Auto and Apple Car Play are surely in the cards. Plus a lot more… More to come. :)

BillLin likes this.
  2. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Toyota's finally getting into Android Auto and Carplay? It's about time.

BillLin likes this.
  3. xcel

Hi Mike:

Finally but on only one new model so far. The Avalon has Apple Car Play which is pretty bad by comparison. :(

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  4. xcel

Hi All:

Today finds the all-new 2019 Toyota USA #RAV4 cruising California Highway 1s Big Sur along the Pacific Coast including the famous Bixby Bridge.

[​IMG]

Built in just 14-months and completed in Oct. of 1932, the Bixby Bridge cost just $199,000. In 1932 dollars of course. At the time it incorporated the longest reinforced concrete arched span at 320 ft on the California Highway System. It rises 280 ft above the Bixby Creek from which it got its name.

Even today some 86 years later, this world renown landmark is one of the tallest single-span concrete bridges in the world.

A quick stop at a 1930s gas station converted to modern convenience store topped it off.

[​IMG]

Damn is this 2.5L Camry motor equipped AWD RAV4 SUV efficient! MPG results after the embargo. :)

BillLin likes this.
  5. xcel

Hi All:

THe Limited trim on the gas and Hybrid offers a ton of equipment.

[​IMG]

Guessing just over $40k with all the equipment. I have the final pricing but I cannot post it until after the embargo next week.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  6. xcel

Hi All:

The Hybrid share of total 2019 RAV4 sales is expected to climb from just 12 percent with the current gen to an incredible 25 percent with this one!

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. xcel

Hi All:

2019 Toyota RAV4 Safety

[​IMG]

The Hybrid system will not shut down on a std. Stop sign thanks to the forward facing camera.

8-std airbags std and BSM is std on XLE and up...

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. xcel

Hi All:

Performance? 203 hp through the 8-speed on the gas models allows 3,500 lbs tow cap.

[​IMG]

Hybrid provides a powerful 219 hp and an incredible xx mpg combined rating!!! Embargoed...

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  9. xcel

Hi All:

The standard Torque Vectoring can speed up outside wheel to improve cornering while VSC can reduce torque through braking the inside wheel providing improved cornering performance during higher speed on and off-road cornering.

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  10. xcel

Hi All:

The 2019 Toyota RAV4 Trims...

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  11. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I heard rumors of 40mpg+ and 3500lbs towing with the Hybrid? If that is true then this is the KING!

BillLin and xcel like this.
  12. xcel

HI George:

41/37/39 mpg city/highway/combined and a Max Tow Cap of 1,750 lbs. I am still working on the rest of it.

Here is my first 20-mile RT drive from 450' ASL to the Pacific Ocean at 0' ASL and back to 450' ASL.

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  13. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Very nice MPG! I bet anyone can get 40+ mpg I would say? To bad only 1750lbs on the towing. A loaded lightweight travel trailer with a shower hits 2000lbs. A lightweight small toy hauler would have been possible if it was rated at 3500lbs. I'll have to keep dreaming.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

The Highlander/RX hybrids are rated 3500# towing.

BillLin likes this.
  15. xcel

Hi Trollbait:

Completely different drivetrain with the 3.5L V6 in both of those.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  16. SI_Prius

SI_Prius Well-Known Member

I don't understand the stricter tow limits in US, I don't see it as the engine power problem but more the rear suspension problem, heavier car can carry more on the rear, lighter car can compromise a stiffer suspension and more tow rating or more comfort and less tow rating. Hybrid with the battery in the back could do better, but I'm guessing the Toyota did not go with higher rear axle weight rating. That is from legal point of view, but it could be just that Toyota decided for warranty reasons not to stress the drivetrain with heavy towing, but then I don't get why RAV4 in Europe can tow more than in USA, it has to be tongue weight problem.

BillLin likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Yeah, and the V6 ICE models are rated for 5000#. Power-split hybrids have always been lacking when it comes to towing. The Toyota SUVs only get a tow rating with AWD. The Camry got a low rating after local pressure in Australia, and the Prius did after they put in a transmission cooler, don't know why that took 4 generations though.
    The tongue weight regs in the UK are half that in the US. Which means driving over 60mph will result in loss of control. Europe also requires trailer brakes at a much lower weight; 500kg seems to be it when I last looked, IIRC it's 2000# in Pennsylvania.

18. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Toyota USA give me a break! The 2dr Yaris is tow rated in the UK I'm sure you can find a way to make it happen for other cars as well here! I have lots of experience towing thousands of miles and not one issue if done properly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  19. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Looking forward to hearing about PED, Predictive Efficiency Drive (remembers the road and adjusts hybrid drive accordingly)..... don't think we've heard much about this feature except in high end bmw stuff (?) ...
    / clean mpg hyper milers beware --- you are being replaced;) with magnificent computers

20. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I ain't a-feerd of no 'puter.

BillLin, Carcus and xcel like this.