Week of March 12 to March 18 (Nat’l Avg $2.526)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price is almost unchanged, dropping 0.4¢ since last week to $2.526 - this time last year it was $2.296 so it's 10% (+23¢) dearer.
    Diesel is down 1¢ at $2.937. It's 16.5% (+41.5¢) more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is at a 16.3% premium to regular.
    E85 is up to $2.130 - a year ago it was $2.031 so 4.9% dearer.

This morning, 2UP, very heavy rain :eek:, 41°F, 8mph tail/crosswind NE:
    43.4 / 23.0

Tank steady at 42.6 (FCD 44.9) / 341.0 / Range 250 . Guess gauge F____|««««E . UG up 0.1 at 43.4 / DTE 246

Half tank at 335 miles

puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today , it's 33.5 deg F , wind W7. 35.1 miles , 60.08 MPG.

puddleglum, Gord and BillLin like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

storm of the week... :)

upload_2018-3-12_12-51-28.png

Gord likes this.
  4. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

You poor people are just getting buried. Wow!

Gord and BillLin like this.
  5. puddleglum

39.1 - 4.4 mi. to work this morning, -1*F. Overslept a bit with the time change and was running late. Had a couple of traffic issues but pretty sure I wasn't driving my best.
    Made up for it on the trip home. I found a way to plug in :) and it warmed up nicely as well.
    65.1 - 5 mi. home, 31*F.

Tank at 46 - 269.6 mi. at about half mark.

6. BillLin

I'm pretty sure I'm just a wimp and complain too much. I never hear YOU complain. Something like, "I say, it's a bit nippy out." Meanwhile you have frostbite and a finger just fell off. :D

Glad you found a way to plug in.

Gord and puddleglum like this.
  7. puddleglum

ROFL:D. Oh, I think I'd be complaining a lot if we got that much snow all at once. The cold has it's challenges, but I can dress warm and still get around.

BillLin and Gord like this.
  8. Gord

Wow indeed, we had some localised flooding yesterday but it wasn’t on a par with that deluge!!!

Last night, 2UP, very busy, lots of queueing and stop/start on first part - no chance of motorway route, 10mph cross/headwind NNE, 41°F:
    39.2 / 20.6

This morning, 2UP, 7mph headwind W, 41°F:
    44.9 / 22.6

Tank down 0.1 at 42.5 (FCD 44.8) / 384.2 / Range 200 . Guess gauge F____|««««E . UG up 0.1 at 43.5 / DTE 204

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 27.5 deg F wind NW7. 35.1 miles , 56.73 MPG. Could be worse.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  10. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

42 and change again. I can't seem to put together a whole, good tank even though I am nailing some segments and have gotten the in-town routine down pretty well. It's the freeway stuff that's killing me and the prevailing crosswinds, too. I can't feel the crosswinds pushing me around, so I think I wrongly figured they weren't affecting me as badly as in the Echo, which acted like a spinnaker in any cross wind.

11. puddleglum

It's really tough when you have to drive at excessively fast speeds. You may be able improve some with technique, but wind drag (read fuel consumption) goes up exponentially with speed and you can't change that. You might try some simple mods to try and improve aerodynamics if you can't drive slower.

44.4 - 4.3 to work, 8*F.
    71 - 5 mi. home, 33*F. :)

12. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

55-60 is my usual range on the freeway. I sometimes let 'er drift to 65 on a favorable slope, and my rock bottom speed is 50. It's got large portions with a 75PSL and is more heavily trafficked than a lot of stretches going 100mi out of a major metro. Maybe I'm not being creative, but I'm not sure what techniques would be useful.

Aero is something I have a hard time grasping. Upper grille block maybe, and some wheel spats for the front?

I have known issues with one tire which won't hold pressure well, and a P0135 code for a bad upstream O2 sensor heater, but the latter shouldn't affect highway mileage much, and in fact my trendline hasn't changed since it showed up last month.

Then again, I have had the car for almost a year and only spent about $200 for fuel, so I'm really fighting myself more than anything else.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  13. puddleglum

42.3 - 4.3 mi. to work, 6*F and fog.
    66.1 - 5 mi. home, 32*F, 14 mph headwind.

14. puddleglum

I remember you talking about the high speed limit before and assumed you were driving that fast. I'm no expert on highway driving as most of my hypermiling is in town, but I have had some success "Driving with load" and with "P&G" on the highway. There are some guys getting incredible mileage out of those old Civics on the highway so there's got to be a way. Do you have a kill switch? Having easy access to EOC is sure nice if you do P&G. Here are the best links I know of for techniques.
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?posts/8387/
    http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php
    Maybe Pale Melanesian has some better suggestions.

Besides those, you could do a front air dam or a belly pan. They are out of sight and usually help some. The aero mods that help the most are the strange looking, highly visible ones that you have to be really committed to before you install like kambacks.

Gord, jcp123 and BillLin like this.
  15. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Oh no, if I were getting that mileage while driving the prevailing speeds, I'd be celebrating both the actual mileage and the ability of a 20 year old car to do it. I have tried travelling at those speeds and it's a 35mpg performer, basically matched what the gub'mint says.

I don't have a kill switch aside from the key and DFCO. I do have frontage roads I use on the way to Dallas to help me out, but on the way back I haven't really found a good route.

Highway P+G would likely help, but the road is so densely trafficked that I am too sheepish to use it.

Aero is this dark art to me. I'm not unscientific, but I can't grasp any of it enough to have any terribly original ideas. I certainly can't look at the car and call out any areas which need improvement, let alone posit how to improve them.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  16. Gord

Last night, 2UP, back to usual motorway route, fairly slow crawl, 15mph head/crosswind ESE, 46°F:
    41.7 / 22.4

This morning, 2UP, 16mph cross/tailwind ESE, raining 42°F:
    46.0 / 22.6

Tank steady at 42.7 (FCD 45.0) / 475.0 / Range 95 . Guess gauge F____|__««E . UG up 0.1 at 43.8 / DTE 118

Lost 5th pip at 457 miles

17. EdwinTheMagnificent

Basjoos (sp?) did it. But not everyone is that brave.

18. Gord

I remember him - he was very committed ;)

19. Gord

Last night, 2UP, too much stop/start then slow crawl to motorway, 10mph headwind E, 46°F:
    49.8 (indicated 52.4) / 22.5

This morning, 2UP, 14mph tailwind E, raining again and foggy, 41°F:
    55.2 (indicated 58.1) / 22.5

Tank steady at 51.3 (indicated 54.1) / 520.0 / Range 45 . Fuel gauge F____|___«E . UG up 0.3 at 52.9 / DTE 75

LFL at 506 miles

Snow forecast :rolleyes:

20. BillLin

I don't know why, I'm getting that déjà vu feeling... :) Yes, another mid-week one for New England.

Gord likes this.