Week of March 5 to March 11 (Nat’l Avg $2.530)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price has gone up 1.3¢ since last week to $2.530 - this time last year it was $2.311 so it's 9.5% (+21.9¢) dearer.
    Diesel is has dropped 0.8¢ to $2.947. It's 16.8% (+42.4¢) more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is at a 16.5% premium to regular.
    E85's average price is up from $2.092 to $2.116 - a year ago it was $2.035 so it's only 4% dearer.

No commute for me this week - car pooling :)

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

56 mpg / 11.5 mi - school and work this morning.

Tank was down with the weekend's towing, now back up to 49.9 / 155 mi and just below F.

Gord, BillLin and puddleglum like this.
  3. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

Turned cold again now that the sky cleared. -15*F (-33*F wind chill) this morning. Forgot to record the mileage but it wasn't great, 40'ish. Better coming home.
    51.8 - 6 mi. work to the drug store, then to the grocery store and associated parking lots. 11*F
    41 - 1 mi. home.

I'm pretty sure tomorrow will be the last day at my current work location. Company sold off one of their divisions and we are being moved. Commute will be a little longer with worse access and no parking lot plugins. I guess time will tell how it will affect my mileage.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Sorry to hear about your longer commute.

puddleglum and Gord like this.
  5. Gord

Shame about no plugging in too.....

BillLin and puddleglum like this.
  6. BillLin

Ooh, I missed that! Thanks.

7. PaleMelanesian

It's a new opportunity for learning and exploring! Good luck!

57.3 / 5.4 - home last night
    54.3 / 11.5 - school and work this morning, frosty.

Tank is up to 50.3 / 172 mi.
    F\___|____E

8. BillLin

Andrew, you remind me of my brother in Indiana. (it's a good thing :)) He's always very positive, too.

Looks like my work from home day is more certain for tomorrow and early Thursday. The image below is from WHDH local TV station's web site. 9-13" expected for me per weather underground.
    special-560x389.jpg
    I'll be out many times to keep ahead of the snow. I shovel an 8-car driveway manually and also snowshoe into my back yard to clear off the 40 solar panels (5 ground mounted arrays) when the snow stops. Oh, and the garage roof also dumps its load in the driveway so that adds another 25% to the snow total. I don't mind because it's the only exercise I get. My wife won't let me go biking; she thinks the roads are too dangerous and she's probably right. :) I've caught many drivers looking down at their phones and texting. Scary.

puddleglum, Gord and PaleMelanesian like this.
  9. Any time i used to sit on my front porch and watch cars drive by - 4 out of 5 were looking at their phones

BillLin and Gord like this.
  10. puddleglum

That's what I'm most concerned about actually, although I'm still hoping I can finagle some way to make it happen. It's not much further, still less than most people have to drive to work and I'm glad of that.
    Yes, always more I need to learn and improve on.
    That sounds positively horrible. Stay safe out there. I really can't complain about our little dump and cold snap compared to that. Hopefully, it won't hit as hard as they're forecasting. The solar array sounds awesome though. Is it enough to cover your electricity usage?

PaleMelanesian, BillLin and Gord like this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I am driving the Prius again. 25 deg F , wind NW13 ( headwind) , 15.4 miles , 56.45 MPG. I get the BAIID device installed this afternoon ,
    so I am legal to drive there "naked". It's good to be in the command chair ; I'm not a good passenger.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  12. BillLin

Congrats, Edwin. Good luck and stay on the path.

Thanks, Kevin. It's not so bad once I got my process and rhythm worked out. No more than an hour and a half at a time, and I push the snow when I can. With this method, I can build snow piles taller than myself, at which point I throw the remaining snow over. I haven't had to do much throwing lately. [knock on wood]

The solar's good for about 90% of our needs (heating/cooling with geothermal; misc household uses; car charging), though this would not be feasible without the net metering connection with our National Grid. I hope to add batteries one day and more PV panels when I have extra money laying around. :D

13. PaleMelanesian

Ugh. No thank you.

43.0 / 2.4 - from work to one store, didn't have what I needed.
    42.8 / 1.7 - to another place that did have it
    53.1 / 4.3 - home

54.4 / 11.4 - school and work this morning

Tank is up to 50.5 / 192 mi.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  14. BillLin

I hate it when that happens!

Gord and puddleglum like this.
  15. puddleglum

Me too.

40 - 4 mi. to work yesterday, -10*F.
    58.3 - 4 mi. home, 18*F
    40.3 - 4 mi. to work today, -6*F
    54.9 - 4.7 mi. home, 17*F

That's awesome!! Makes driving a PHEV even more appealing and practical.

I really have no concept of what that would be like, but I hear it does happen for some people. ;)
    Did the storm hit as bad as forecast?

16. BillLin

Pretty much. I was keeping up during the late afternoon into the evening. An inch here, another inch there. Took a break for dinner and a little TV. Boom, 6+ inches. I just came in from a couple hours of shoveling. I think the total is about a foot so far, with several inches falling while I was outside. We're expecting another 3 more inches by morning, which was why I stayed out extra long to finish as much as I could. In the morning, we'll get some rain. I do not like shoveling extra heavy, wet snow. And it all has to be cleared before the freeze tomorrow night.

I left a couple feet of buffer zone at the end of the driveway to keep the snow plow crap out. :)

Latest map. I'm between Fitchburg and Worcester on the map, so the weatherman was pretty good.

special-560x389.jpg

Gord likes this.
  17. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Do they say "Worcester" the way the English do , like Woostuh ? I have been in Worcester, England , and I know
    how the locals pronounce it , but I can't figure out how to spell that , lol.

BillLin, puddleglum and Gord like this.
  18. Gord

Ha ha Edwin :D you’re dead right! Thanks for your comments about my mountain bike too :)

Took youngest to youth club last night in the Jazz/Fit, 43°F:
    63.4 / 1.5
    41.6 / 1.5

Picked her up 2 hours later, 39°F:
    65.1 / 1.5
    46.2 / 1.5

Total for both trips 52.1 / 6.0mi

BillLin and puddleglum like this.
  19. BillLin

I think your rendition is close enough. :D

I ended up with another 5 or 6 inches of snow overnight so close to 18 inches total. Still snowing lightly till this afternoon. I'm tired so I took the day off. Another 2 1/2 hours shoveling this morning without having finished. I left a couple car lengths and half a car width adjacent to my neighbor's property. I try not to dump snow over there so I have to move it 25 feet over to my snow pile.

20. PaleMelanesian

You have a designated snow pile? I never realized that was a thing. :eek:o_O Hope you can get some rest soon.

51.7 / 5.3 - home last night
    73.5 / 2.0 - take a kid to youth group (mostly downhill)
    60 / 2.1 - back home (and then uphill)

57.5 / 11.4 - school and work today

Tank is up to 51.2 / 223 mi.
    F__\__|____E

puddleglum, BillLin and Gord like this.