2019 Hyundai Santa Fe will have a diesel option

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by seftonm, Feb 25, 2018.

1. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I read that the 2019 Santa Fe will have a 2.2L diesel option. It should have around 200 hp and 320 lb-ft of torque. Nice to see that VW's dieselgate didn't totally kill the diesel in North America yet. I'm curious how its fuel economy ratings will be.

wxman and BillLin like this.
  2. Off topic for the Hyundai theme but....

Newspaper today said the new transit connect will have a diesel option too.

BillLin likes this.
  3. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Something developed in house, or are they buying from an established manufacturer? Would not want a version 1.0 of a new diesel engine, I'm old enough to remember GM first gen car diesels.

BillLin likes this.
  4. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

It's a Hyundai engine, and they've been building diesels for years for the Euro market and for their vans and trucks.
    Added bonus for the NA market is a vestigial third row in the Santa Fe that will only be available in the diesel version. I expect the third row in the shorty version of the Santa Fe will be best suited to Cairn Terriers and Oompa Loompas. For some reason the market demands seating for dang near an entire baseball team even when the seats have all the head and legroom of Barbie's Corvette. It will be interesting to see the public's acceptance of diesel, if they need to take it to get that all-important back row.

BillLin likes this.