Week of February 19 to February 25 2018 (Nat’l Avg $2.530)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the grind :D

I’m currently on vacation in North Yorkshire with limited access to wi-fi.

Will update gas prices later! **Done**

BillLin likes this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Such dedication, Gord. :) Thank you!

Gord and puddleglum like this.
  3. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

Used my wife's car on the weekend because she didn't trust mine after last weekends scare. Today is Family day holiday here so no work today. I finally convinced her and my son to try going out today in my car since it worked fine all week. Wouldn't you know, it stalled again on the way to the mall, right in a busy intersection. It did restart with a few sputters after a few seconds, thankfully, but my obviously my problem isn't resolved and neither I or my car was very popular. Didn't have anymore problems after that, but she insisted I not do anymore EOC with them in the car. Maybe a wise thing (every failure has been after an engine shut down) but mileage suffered. I recovered a bit when I went out myself to pick up supper later.
    39 - 13.4 mi. for the day (5 trips) 0* - 9*F.

PaleMelanesian, Gord and BillLin like this.
  4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Ugh. Sorry Kevin.

52.7 / 5.7 - home last night
    52.6 / 11.7 - school and work this morning

Tank is up a tick to 49.5 / 404 mi.
    F____|_/__E

Gord, BillLin and puddleglum like this.
  5. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Kevin sorry to hear about that. I understand as my truck and my car have both killed the battery enough during the winters that I was not able to restart them. Usually was EOC with the lighs on which drained it enough. Then I was not paying close enough attention to the Battery level. I bought a battery tender that I would hook up about once a week in the winter to help combat this. And if I know I will be using alot of battery, I will let the engine spin even though it is more fuel usuage, it will mean that there is less of a chance of it not starting in lower levels of battery level. Or just make sure to bump start the engine before coming to a full stop. ;)

6. BillLin

Too late for me, but that's a neat idea for those doing EOC with low battery.

Gord and puddleglum like this.
  7. puddleglum

Thanks, even though the effect is the same, that is not my issue. I really wish my problem were that simple. I already have a dc/dc converter and my e-bike battery hooked up for back up for that very reason. It keeps battery at 13.3 volts in EOC. I usually do bump start, but if I use the starter, it cranks just fine. What has happened is it restarts with a bump start, runs for about 2-5 seconds then stalls as if it has no fuel. Cranks but won't fire and runs rough when it finally does start. I changed the Relay for my kill switch just in case, but I doubt that is it because it does restart for a few seconds. It's so random that it's hard to diagnose and it runs like a top until it doesn't. I'm wondering about fuel pump but could be several things. Ran fine today but I think I was off my game a bit wondering if it was going to act up.

40.8 - 4 mi, 5*F to work.
    51.8 - 4.9 mi, 9*F work to grocery store this afternoon.
    38.4 - 1 mi. home.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  8. BillLin

I'm no mechanic but my thoughts were going in that direction as well. :) Loose connection?

puddleglum and Gord like this.
  9. Gord

Various runs while on vacation in North Yorkshire, all with 5 people on board. The terrain is very undulating and mpg suffers up the steep hills but I gain some of it back on the downhills.

Unfortunately engine braking is frequently not enough - I hate using the brakes:

Saturday:
    44.6 / 95.2 - to pub near holiday cottage for lunch
    41.7 / 5.5 - to cottage

Sunday:
    56.4 / 6.6 - downhill to car park at Whitby Abbey :D
    28.9 / 3.4 - uphill to lunch stop :eek:
    30.1 / 4.9 - back to cottage :eek:

Monday:
    55.5 / 5.4 - downhill to supermarket :D - FCD was showing I had 25 miles left in the tank but I want to use a 53¢/Gall off coupon and there isn't one of that particular gas station nearby so I only put in 3.7 gallons - first time I haven't filled the Audi to the brim.

28.4 / 1.8 - steep uphill to pub for lunch :eek:
    30.1 / 3.0 - more uphill back to cottage :eek:

Tuesday:
    49.4 / 99.9 - back home

Tank up 1.1 at 43.3 (FCD 45.6) / 620.8 / Range 105 . Guess gauge F____|__««E . UG down 0.7 at 44.2 / DTE 141

10. PaleMelanesian

56.7 / 5.3 - home last night
    45.9 / 11.8 - school and work this morning, in a biblical flood of rain

Tank is steady at 49.8 / 432 mi.
    F____|__/__E

puddleglum, Gord and BillLin like this.
  11. BillLin

Good plan with the partial fill, Gord.

puddleglum and Gord like this.
  12. puddleglum

Maybe, but finding it could be tough. It would be nice if it was that relay I changed but I'm not counting on it.
    Cold morning again today. -10*F (-25*F wind chill) It was a little stiff from the cold but the car ran fine, no stumbles.
    40.9 - 4 mi. to work.
    48.7 - 4.7 mi. home. 7*F

Gord, PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  13. PaleMelanesian

Raining, short/fast route home.
    44.9 mpg / 4.4 mi

Foggy but not raining this morning.
    56.0 / 11.5 to school and work.

Tank is up a tick to 49.9 / 448 mi. (onboard gauge says 49.0 so ...) One quarter tank left.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  14. puddleglum

Uneventful day, that's a good thing.
    42.3 - 4 mi. to work. 13*F, 9 mph headwind.
    53.4 - 4.7 mi. home.
    31.9 - 1.7 mi. to friends with the family.
    40.9 - 1.9 mi. home. Temp down to 1*F

Gord and BillLin like this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Not driving at the moment. Soon , I will be able to have the BAIID device ( breathalyzer) installed in my car , then I can drive anywhere , anytime.
    Linda is taking me to work and picking me up every day , about 64 miles worth. The RAV4 is thirsty ! When I filled up yesterday , it showed about 24 MPG
    for her city(suburban) driving , which included some warm-up time when windshield was icy. Temps from 20-44 F. This is a 2016 RAV4 with about 16K miles ,
    but it has a loud , agricultural engine sound , compared to the Prius. I don't much like it, but I'm happy to be able to get to work.

16. PaleMelanesian

50.2 / 4.9 - from work to the feed store, add 200 lb
    51 / 8.2 - home, RAINING
    58.5 / 5.4 - out to music practice, wet roads
    51.6 / 5.4 - home

53.0 / 11.5 - school and work this morning.

Tank is up to 50.3 / 494 mi. Dash gauge says (adjusted) 49.5. Quarter tank left. Trying to get the year's first 50 but it's been uphill. First half was highway, then it's been raining every day.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  17. puddleglum

I was hoping you hadn't had a bad accident or something with the bad weather. It's good you to have someone to drive you in the interim.

Another cold morning today but warmed up nicely this afternoon.
    36.8 - 4 mi. to work. -6*F
    52.6 - 6.8 mi. from work to the south end of town for a work errand. Mostly highway, 22*F.
    59.9 - 4.1 mi. to home.

Gord, EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  18. puddleglum

Quite a few errands today over the course of the afternoon. Out to the bottle depot and home. Back out with the family to Lowe's and the grocery store. Home to unload then took the car for a much needed bath. Weather warmed up as well which sure felt nice, 24 - 30*F

50.2 - 19 mi. total for the day. Got 74.4 - 4.7 mi. for the last trip back from the car wash :D. It's was quiet today with a nice downhill stretch and only had 4 stops.

Tank is up to 45.4 - 115 mi.

BillLin and Gord like this.
  19. Gord

Saturday wasn't quite ready for a fill-up but 53¢/GallUS off coupon was running out so:

Tank Stats

Miles on tank: 626.8 miles
    GallsUS: 14.818 in total - added another 11.1 gallons for nearly $6 off
    Calc. MPG : 42.30 MPG
    Calc. Range: 104.9 miles (allowing for extra in tank)
    FCD Range: 100
    FCD MPG : 45.54 MPG (7.66% over-report)
    UG MPG : 44.43 MPG (5.03% over-report)
    No. of trips: 33
    Average trip length: 19.0
    Average speed 30mph
    Driving time on tank: 21hrs 14mins
    Days since last fill: 25
    Commuting: 57.1%
    Ave. Temperature: 38.3°F
    Ave. no. of people in car: 3.21
    Pmpg for the tank: 135.75

I'm finishing with the allotment in a month (after 10+ years) so needed to empty out the shed there. Needed 2 trips:
    34.3 / 5.7
    [​IMG]

Today, took youngest's friend back, 33°F, 4UP going:
    45.5 / 17.7
    47.5 / 17.7

Tank at 44.0 / 41.1 / Range 560 . Guess gauge F««««|««««E . UG at 43.8 / DTE 551